Windows 7 N => without notepad

Windows 7 WM => without windows mail

Windows 7 WME => without windows mail and internet explorer

Windows 7 WMNE => without windows mail and notepad and internet explorer

Windows 7 NN => without mediaplayer

and so on

all in business utlimate familliale... release

Et le top du top

Windows 7 x 48 => without 'x' microsoft software and in 48bits specially for this f***ing EU and his antitrust law

EU start getting ridiculous

Edited by hannubys

IE will be there, just no icon or branding. I never understood why everyone makes a big deal about IE being in Windows. Its not like they are taking steps to stop you from using other browsers. Just because its there doesn't mean you have to use it.

IE will be there, just no icon or branding.
Well, sort of. IE is there, but all of the possible ways to execute IE other than hosted in a WBControl app will be gone. As far as getting IE8, you'll probably still be able to download it from Microsoft ultimately, and OEMs will be free to install it on machines if they so choose (along with any other browser). At least that's what the current plan is documented as, publicly. I wonder if it'll change before release.

From what I've read, IE8 will be distributed via free CDs. I think I also read something about being able to download it via FTP. There will be no browser to download a browser with. :) You won't even have email to have someone send it to you since they moved that to Windows Live Essentials.

I'm just wondering, how MS is going to get their updates to you, without any way to connect to their internet web site. ???

On Windows 7 Install DVD's, there should be an option, to install I.E. 8 or NOT to install it.

If you already had Firefox, for instance, on a CD or flash drive, it wouldn't make a lot of difference whether the OS had a browser in it or not.

Then there's the problem of FF not having ActiveX in it, to read that stupid MS web page.

But if you install I.E. Tab into Firefox, you don't need I.E. anyway.

I guess time will tell how that will all work out.

I'm running Windows 7, RC1 and I'm also using Windows Mail. I just copied the files over from Vista. It works great!

Time will answer all our questions.

:hello:

I'm just wondering, how MS is going to get their updates to you, without any way to connect to their internet web site. ???

Manual updates no longer require the web so no need for a browser.

Edited by -X-

EU to pursue antitrust case, despite Windows 7 E

The European Commission notes with interest Microsoft's announcement of its plans for Windows 7, and in particular of the apparent separation of Internet Explorer (IE) from Windows in the EEA. The Commission will shortly decide in the pending browser tying antitrust case whether or not Microsoft’s conduct from 1996 to date has been abusive and, if so, what remedy would be necessary to create genuine consumer choice and address the anticompetitive effects of Microsoft’s long-standing conduct. In terms of potential remedies if the Commission were to find that Microsoft had committed an abuse, the Commission has suggested that consumers should be offered a choice of browser, not that Windows should be supplied without a browser at all.

Either the EU is in a world of hurt for money and wants to hit the Microsoft bank again for a freebie, or Operwaaaaaaaah is really paying someone off, because this is getting ridiculous.

so how are ppl suppose to dload FF without having IE? :lol:

Precisely! IE is very useful for that :yes:

EU start getting ridiculous

They'll only be happy when MS is forced to send you a blank CD with a $200 price tag, or that the CD has their competitor's software on it.

Funny thing, all 3 of us (both quoted and myself) are Firefox users, yet think this "getting rid of IE" thing is getting ridiculous. The EU court is completely out of control.

Either the EU is in a world of hurt for money and wants to hit the Microsoft bank again for a freebie, or Operwaaaaaaaah is really paying someone off, because this is getting ridiculous.

For sure. As for Opera, the simple concept of making a product that people actually want is alien to them. Firefox, Safari, Chrome and several others are doing great, despite IE shipping as the default browser. There is a healthy market for 3rd party browsers. It just happens that nobody wants of their junk, even for free. Actually, I'd pay extra NOT to have Opera. I'll gladly take ANY browser over it (yes, including IE -- and Chrome and Safari and so on).

hang on...is this just an optional purchase? or are all EU versions of W7 going to have it "removed"?

SO if I buy the bog standard Win 7 Ultimate..i WILL have IE as normal? But if i buy Win 7 E then it will be "removed"?

It appears that all versions of Win7 shipped to the EU countries - whether they be OEM on a new machine or in retail channels - will have IE8 removed. Hopefully we'll get some further (official) clarification on this from Microsoft, but that's what the press releases and news stories have been stating. It appears IE8 in the EU will not be standard on any versions of Win7 E, regardless of how you get it.

From what I've read, IE8 will be distributed via free CDs. I think I also read something about being able to download it via FTP. There will be no browser to download a browser with. :) You won't even have email to have someone send it to you since they moved that to Windows Live Essentials.

That would be a step backwards. I seem to remember Windows 98 or 95 came with a separate IE install CD. I still have one somewhere.