Upgrade or full?

ArmoredGideon

Hi all,

I want to go to Windows xp but I have some questions (I know I'm not the first) regarding the ugrade and the Full version of XP Home.

Ok here's what I need to know:

1/I have win98, are there any problems with the upgrade version of xp? (ie. since I have 98 already is there any reason why I should buy the full version?)

2/If I wanted to keep '98 I'd just do a duel boot setup right? However, if the drive with '98 on it (or '98 itself) were to fail or get formated or in any other way be renderd unusable would XP still work?

What I'm trying to say here is if you use a duel boot will xp be dependent on '98 being able to work?

3/does the full upgrade of windows xp (over '98) use any of 98's code/files or does it just completely replace 98 altogether?

I would be grateful for any help here :)

hi ArmoredGideon, and welcome to msfn.

1. when possible, ALWAYS do a complete installation. there's less risk of running into a problem that way.

2. i have personally dual booted win98 with winxp, and ran into no problems. as far as win98 being removed while dual booting, i did that too and had no problems. trust me, once you start using windows xp you won't use win98 any more.

3. just an educated guess here, but i doubt windows would use any of your old 98 files when you upgrade. the main purpose of an upgrade would be to save some of your files. (ideal for apps games mp3s etc..)

hope this helped you out a bit, and i'm sure somebody else will reply with greater detail. enjoy your stay at msfn. :)

Sedative and I must have replied at the same time...cause I just noticed his post. :eek:[/color:6adfec3523]

1) General rule of thumb: Always do a clean install when upgrading an OS. There is no reason to buy the full unless you do a whole lot of reformatting and you don't want to have to load Win98 and then XP every time. You can do a clean install from the upgrade CD.

2) You can dual boot but Win98 has to be first and your c: drive. If you want to be able to access files from Win98 and XP while in the opposite OS, you must make sure you format the XP partition as Fat32 not NTFS.

3) The upgrade replaces files altogether...XP operates on a completely different system from Win98...more like Win2000.

Just buy the upgrade, partition your hard drive for two OS's and then clean install WinXP to your new partition.

Rick :cool:

Ok I thought of another question!!

What if I buy the upgrade and want to convert my drive to NTFS?

(a freind of mine told me i have to wipe everything off a drive in order to convert to ntfs. But if i do this i would have to install '98 on the drive first; but 98 isn't compatable with ntfs, how would i go on to install the xp upgrade?)

Ok I thought of another question!!

What if I buy the upgrade and want to convert my drive to NTFS?

(a freind of mine told me i have to wipe everything off a drive in order to convert to ntfs. But if i do this i would have to install '98 on the drive first; but 98 isn't compatable with ntfs, how would i go on to install the xp upgrade?) [/quote:05e73c6935]

Like Barntrap said, just becasue you have the "update" cd doesnt mean that you have to update from 98, both the update and full version can do a clean install, the only difference is that the update cd will ask for poof of pervious Os, in which you have to incert you Win98 cd.

So all you need to do is make 2 partitions on your hardisk, you can do this with FDISK in DOS or with partition magic in windows98. If you use fdisk you will lose all your data but with partition magic you can create a new partition with out destroying files.

Once you got you 2 partitions both in Fat32 boot from the Xp cd and install the Os, you will be given the option to pick what partition to install on, choose the latter and convert it into NTFS (Not quick). Let it do its thing and you will be all set.

Goodluck

-Drew