Windows 7 & vLite *DEPRECATED*

liquid0624

Attached are the two presets that i came up with based on all input of this forum (thanks to everyone) and have tested them using the latest virtual box like i have done more installs then i would have liked to (hundreds). Using the latest build 7232 these presets work great (should also work on 32-bit as well but i have not tested it so feedback would be great). The ELITE version removes Media Center and things not needed for the average user. The ULTRA version is experimental which removes file print sharing and just about everything else. All of there dependencies have been removed as well.

If anyone has any issues or questions please do post in this thread or feel free to pm me. I will respond asap and my honest recommendation as of now is the super preset it really works very well. This is not really a guide but just based on experience, testing, and the input of other users in this forum. The services were tweaked using the famous black viper windows 7 guide.

UPDATE (06/18/09) *** Updated APPLICATION COMPONENT Removal Issues ***

UPDATE (06/16/09) *** Tested both PRESETS posted below with Build 7232 x64 ***

COMPONENTS that CAN be removed

Notepad

Paint

Wordpad

Printer Drivers

Printer Support

Media Metadata Handler

Photo Metadata Handler

Windows Aero Theme

Windows Media Codecs

Windows Media Player

Desktop Window Manager

Windows Remote Management

DHCP

SuperFetch

Windows Color System

Windows Picture and Fax Viewer

SQM (Software Quality Management)

COMPONENTS that CANNOT be removed

Game Explorer

Snipping Tool

Welcome Center

Windows Image Acquisition

WLAN Support

Internet Explorer

Network and Sharing Center

Windows Firewall

Application Experience

Internet Connection Sharing

Multimedia Class Scheduler

Background Intelligent Transfer

Windows Update

Component Cache (winsxs)

Manual Install (Setup.exe)

Microsoft HTML Engine

MDAC

IMPORTANT Windows System32 files to PROTECT

wer.dll

msdrm.dll

browcli.dll

msoert2.dll

winipsec.dll

werconcpl.dll

Magnification.dll

Miscellaneous APPLICATION & COMPONENT Removal Issues

Removing Help component breaks Windows Features

Removing Fax Support component breaks Windows Features

Removing Windows Search service breaks Windows Features

Removing Task Scheduler service breaks Disk Defragmenter

Removing Windows Connect Now service breaks Devices & Printers

Removing Crash Dump Support breaks Hibernation and Hybrid Sleep

Removing Event Log service breaks Tweak 7 Beta and O&O Defrag 11

Removing Distributed File System component breaks Group Policy Object Editor

Maybe you can share your x64 .iso?

this should be the final version of my batch file & last session for x86 build:

i may keep WCF tho? :thumbup

Will these files work on any Windows 7 build or any particular release only ( if latter then which one exactly ) ?

Also are these fine to be used/slimming Win 7 RTM Too ? I know this might not be answerable right now, but if the process is a bit same then these should be working on maybe RTM too, when its released ? Any ideas ?

The should work on build 7100 and up. Well build 7264 is what it has been tested on. So the answer is yes they should work with rtm :)

i will be posting some batch files myself shortly just need to run a few more tests also new preset will be coming with it so keep checking back just have been really busy lately :wacko:

Could you please explain to me how to use the last_session.ini file in conjunction with my .iso of Windows 7?

I am very confused, as I am unable to locate any instructions on the forum to help me. I want to be able to slim down my Windows 7 in order to obtain as much performance as possible.

Thank you very much,

Blade

The install wim tweak tool does not work for me anymore since build 7264. I also do not think I need it that much...

First I install Home Premium, for IE, DVD Maker and Windows Gadgets removal with Windows Features and language pack integration (at OOBE stage ctrl+shift+F3). This installation I generalize and create an image from. Then I remove the few packages that I can (the language related stuff: GB, US, ZA, etc.) with dism, run vLite, cleanup and finally vLite again for a reducing the image-file size because of the cleanup. Just Windows Firewall and ICS that keep me bugging (instllation fails) and Snipping tool, Welcome Center and TPM Based Service that re-appear in vLite.

For IE: when I remove IE with Windows features and remove the directory from ProgramFiles and ProgramFiles(x96) with the cleanup, then near everything of IE is gone.

Hi, i was trying to reduce the amount of data of "windows rc1", on vlite it showed that the reduction was to be about 3,3gb or something like that, i obviously realized it was wrong, but at the end it only reduced in 800MB, and be sure i've taking out only 840MB is that right?

i've attached the preset i used, i've not tested it yet, it was only supposed to me to have an idea of the amount was possible to take out, so i can realize what kind of softwares i will be able to put in at the end.

Thanks

vLite merely tells you how much disk space you save, not the space on the ISO. If you delete 5 Gbs worth of data, that might amount to only a gig or so on the ISO. This is because an entire OS image is inside install.wim, which is highly compressed.

The install wim tweak tool does not work for me anymore since build 7264. I also do not think I need it that much...

First I install Home Premium, for IE, DVD Maker and Windows Gadgets removal with Windows Features and language pack integration (at OOBE stage ctrl+shift+F3). This installation I generalize and create an image from. Then I remove the few packages that I can (the language related stuff: GB, US, ZA, etc.) with dism, run vLite, cleanup and finally vLite again for a reducing the image-file size because of the cleanup. Just Windows Firewall and ICS that keep me bugging (instllation fails) and Snipping tool, Welcome Center and TPM Based Service that re-appear in vLite.

For IE: when I remove IE with Windows features and remove the directory from ProgramFiles and ProgramFiles(x96) with the cleanup, then near everything of IE is gone.

Jeronimo, last night I used the wim tweak tool on b7264 x86 without a hitch! I then proceeded to use the rem7201 batch file (edited to 7264 obviously) to remove the packages. I also removed the WinSxS backup (had to use takeown and icacls to have permission?) and extra wallpaper. I used the preset dead0 posted in his temp guide (thanks dude), but vlite said that it failed to rebuild the image. I think this was because I screwed with the permissions with icacls and all. GImageX also said it couldn't unmount my image on a seperate occasion because it didn't have permission to remove a dir I gave myself full perms to :)

btw how do you install HOMEPREMIUM? just selecr thru vlite or do you delete ei.cfg? I hate ultimate :realmad: .

Edited by SausageHack

when you mount the image you gotta specify the index of the image

set index = 1 Home Basic

set index = 2 Home Premium

set index = 3 Professional

set index = 4 Ultimate

imagex.exe /mountrw %source%\install.wim %index% %mount%

I might have forgotten to mention it this 1 time, but I have x64 and with this I can not get install wim tweak to work.

In order to install other editions, remove ei.cfg from the sources directory. See the above post on how to mount a specific edition (or use: imagex /list sources\install.wim). Also perform cleanups after vLite-removal. It gives a smaller image and installation (just a dozen of files for me, but still: smaller).

Edited by Jeronimo

I might have forgotten to mention it this 1 time, but I have x64 and with this I can not get install wim tweak to work.

In order to install other editions, remove ei.cfg from the sources directory. See the above post on how to mount a specific edition (or use: imagex /list sources\install.wim). Also perform cleanups after vLite-removal. It gives a smaller image and installation (just a dozen of files for me, but still: smaller).

Thanks. I just selected HOMEPREMIUM with vLite out of curiosity, then slimmed it with a modded 'ultra' ini file. I installed build 7264 Home Premium with no problems. As for deleting/editing ei.cfg, well, I just delete it anyway along with everything else in the /sources dir except install.wim, boot.wim and setup.exe. But thanks for the confirmation.

I just have one small little problem with install_wim_teak: Whenever I use it, irrespective of the build, it says unhandled exception blah blah blah something about a naming issue? I tried run as administrator with no success. It isn't a super big deal, but my install.wim is like EXACTLY a gig and I really want it to fit on a CD-R (7264 x86 btw)

finally got the x64 build to just over 3gb after compression! would prefer it uncompressed tho? im still hoping to get the iso down to under 1gb with install size at around 2.75gb or less? i will continue once i return from my holidays

I am at 1.03GB/3.25GB currently. When I would remove the Backup folder, then I would probably get close to 1.0/3.0GB. However I am still not convinced that folder can be removed, I am still cautious on removing anything but drivers from winsxs.

I am at 1.03GB/3.25GB currently. When I would remove the Backup folder, then I would probably get close to 1.0/3.0GB. However I am still not convinced that folder can be removed, I am still cautious on removing anything but drivers from winsxs.

same same j! hoping to get the wim down to 800mb! can the boot.wim be edited btw?

same same j! hoping to get the wim down to 800mb! can the boot.wim be edited btw?

3.0GB is the footprint of 32bit or 64bit :o ?

dead can u post your x64 session ini and dism batch file i would like to test it. I am having issues with blue screens of death in virtual box complaining about rdyboost.dll and win32k.sys file. Have no idea whats causing them working with the latest 7600 build as well.

It can be edited in the same way, but I think it is only worth it if you are close to fitting on a CD.

p.s. above is x64.