Windows 7 & vLite *DEPRECATED*

liquid0624

Does somebody know which package i can remove? (Packages.txt)

Can someone post components names for remove packages this packages? (Settings.txt)

EDIT: To SausageHack:

can you post for me direct link to Jeronimo´s post?

Settings.txt

Edited by George King

I seriously don't understand how to mod the .bat file to my situation :( I know how to edit it in notepad but I just can't seem to understand. Any chance you can elaborate a bit :)

Maybe I can make a custom batch for you :)

Put imagex.exe and intlcfg.exe (as I cannot distribute that cuz of 1b) in your hard drive root, then place the files I upload in there too (I'm uploading as a ZIP). Extract the ZIP to C:\*.*

Place all drivers into C:\Drivers

DVD content goes to C:\ISO

Language packs in C:\LNG

--------------------------------

Mount folder is C:\Mount :)

Just remember to copy the imagex and intlcfg over to the hard drive root. They have to be consistent with the architecture of Windows you are modding (ie x86 or x64). These two files can be found in: C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\tools\amd64 (or x86)\*

Hope that helps!

btw King George next time could you just put all that stuff in a txt and upload? It makes it a real pain in the you-know-what for all the other viewers to have to scroll through all the pages of people replying... just gets a little too much ;) Take a look in Jeronimo's Packages.xls file for reference

SausageHack.zip

Edited by SausageHack

The problem is we are using a program made to reduce the size of Windows Vista... on Windows 7.

For example, vLite says in "Users/Public" there are over 400Mb of media files. Maybe on Vista thats true, but in Windows 7 these files amount to only 41Mb not 400Mb.

vLite says the Speech Support components takes up 450Mb. Maybe on Vista thats true, but in Windows 7 the Speech folder in Windows is merely 172Mb, not over 450Mb.

Will there ever be a tool like vLite but for Windows 7?

If not then I am not using vLite because I do not even know what it is removing anymore.

Totally unrelated things break other totally unreleated things etc.

Can't understand why some are "persevering" with vLite.

Why can't we just delete the folders from the mounted WIM image? Then we actually know whats happening, plus all you'd need is to run a batch file then to remove stuff.

Edited by LeveL

===== Post Nº1 =====

I have enough disk space 60gb :) have i done something wrong ? can you explain how to do a dummie run in vlite just to check if im doing it right

===== Post Nº2 =====

ok i seem to have fixed it. i was removing 2 components rather than a dummie :P

===== Post Nº3 =====

Done :D install.wim = 1.03gb iso is 1.1gb :) now to test this bad boy :D

Edited by Yzöwl
Posts Merged

===== Post Nº1 =====

The problem is we are using a program made to reduce the size of Windows Vista... on Windows 7.

For example, vLite says in "Users/Public" there are over 400Mb of media files. Maybe on Vista thats true, but in Windows 7 these files amount to only 41Mb not 400Mb.

vLite says the Speech Support components takes up 450Mb. Maybe on Vista thats true, but in Windows 7 the Speech folder in Windows is merely 172Mb, not over 450Mb.

Will there ever be a tool like vLite but for Windows 7?

If not then I am not using vLite because I do not even know what it is removing anymore.

Totally unrelated things break other totally unreleated things etc.

Can't understand why some are "persevering" with vLite.

Why can't we just delete the folders from the mounted WIM image? Then we actually know whats happening, plus all you'd need is to run a batch file then to remove stuff.

The obvious problem with that is the registry entries associated with the files. That would mess the installation more than vLite doesn't.

===== Post Nº2 =====

I have enough disk space 60gb :) have i done something wrong ? can you explain how to do a dummie run in vlite just to check if im doing it right

Ok lol a dummy run is simple... You just want to do like one tweak so that vLite lets you 'Apply'

Then, it will automatically find and weed out the files that were associated with the ones that were deleted in 'cleanup'

This takes substantial size off both the install.wim as well as the install.

Edited by Yzöwl
Posts Merged

good effort but this guide isn't right. you forgot two important .dll.mui files, and if you remove the superfetch your booting time increase.. also what about Welcome Center?? why are you saying that cannot be removed?

Edited by neuropass