Windows 7 & vLite *DEPRECATED*

liquid0624

just did an install of build 7264 x86, iso size just under 700mb, install size 2.2gb, kept printer & wlan support & some services! could go under 600mb by deleting a few more such as printer & wlan, wcf...

ps working on an extreme vlite edition now, will post in a few mins...

Edited by dead0

wim size 518mb, iso size 653mb, could have made it smaller if i removed some of the media player components! :P will test in a bit after supper

Edited by dead0

here's an extreme last session which can still be further customised? use it after my recent batch file...

you might get a few errors which is mainly due to WCF removal but almost everything else is working fine? :D

ps i would probably still recommend using my last session from post #316 though as theres not too much difference in install size...

Edited by dead0

@jeronimo

you can only remove the files and folders in winsxs if you already have taken the ownership of winsxs folder.. in your batch file there's no command taking the ownership of this folder... so that's why I'm having access denied errors in you batch file due to that i don't have full control of it. can you write a batch that taking rights on selected folders so i wont spend to much time than taking whole winsxs folder cause ive tried to take ownership of winsxs folder and its takes too much time than removing packages in dism.

@dead0

do you also made a batch file deleting the drivers in winsxs folder?? or you just remove it manually using unlocker.

Edited by gendouhydeist

For build 7232 beside the preset I added the following. Please note, that the removal part is mandatory to be able to have a proper image/installation. As dead0 pointed out he needed to remove some packages in order to remove Game Explorer (and have a sduccesful installation).

Packages.zip contains an Excel-sheet with a combinatins of tests that I made (with data from dea0 as well).

Removal.zip contains removal.bat that requires 1 parameter, without a parameter it just initialises some environment variable you could use:

packages - Remove packages

cleanup - Remove redundant files and drivers

langpack - EXAMPLE on how to integrate a language pack

- integrate a languagepack (langpack)

- remove obsolete packages (packages)

- run vLite to integrate drivers, remove components and add tweaks

- remove drivers and files (cleanup)

- run vLite component removal without anything selected to reduce the image-file a but more

I did not need to take ownership of these files for any test that I have made. You can do it with:

takeown /f %mount%\Windows\..." /R

icacls "%mount%\Windows\..." /grant Administrator:F /T /Q

Also been busy testing build 7264, but there are no packages removable there. Just some language-related packages.

Edited by Jeronimo

@Jeronimo

i see.. thats why im having trouble with your batch file. Ive been tinkering it for days now but i cant even make it work, i didn't know that there's parameter needed to make it run anyway thanks man... i will also testing the newest build and yeah if you have updates on your batch can you keep it updated.. thx

@jeronimo

you can only remove the files and folders in winsxs if you already have taken the ownership of winsxs folder.. in your batch file there's no command taking the ownership of this folder... so that's why I'm having access denied errors in you batch file due to that i don't have full control of it. can you write a batch that taking rights on selected folders so i wont spend to much time than taking whole winsxs folder cause ive tried to take ownership of winsxs folder and its takes too much time than removing packages in dism.

@dead0

do you also made a batch file deleting the drivers in winsxs folder?? or you just remove it manually using unlocker.

i just remove them manually! :P

@dead0

o_O cant believe that you're doing it manually that is pain staking process aint it?

@Jeronimo

huhuhu cant make it work... i dont know what parameter do i need to use in order to make it run.

EDIT:

finally ive done it.. i thought you need to put /packages or -pakages on cmd prompt hehe

can i also unmount /discard image using your batch?

Edited by gendouhydeist

Upon attempt to remove certain packages with DISM, it would result in the WIM being damaged and I would have to unmount & discard. Any ideas on why this would be?

This occurred when attempting to remove the MobilePC packages, PhotoPremiumPackage, Shell-HomeGroup-Package, and some others.

Edited by harusp3x

@dead0

o_O cant believe that you're doing it manually that is pain staking process aint it?

it is! :P i try & compare the files with winsxs, inf, manifest, driverstore & with the files in the original install.wim, to make sure i dont remove the wrong ones!!!

Upon attempt to remove certain packages with DISM, it would result in the WIM being damaged and I would have to unmount & discard. Any ideas on why this would be?

This occurred when attempting to remove the MobilePC packages, PhotoPremiumPackage, Shell-HomeGroup-Package, and some others.

did you apply the wim tweak first before trying to remove with dism?

@Jeronimo

on your packages excel sheet you've guess that Microsoft-Windows-Media-Format-Package removes Media Metadata Handler but it isnt... i dunno what really removes metadata handler.. may its the media foundation i think and also if media metadata handler removed does the Video Thumbnails also? cause i really wanted Video Thumbnails to work.. this what makes windows 7 awesome.

and yeah there's a newest package added in windows 7 its

Microsoft-Windows-ShareMedia-ControlPanel-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.7264.0

i don't what is this for .. does anyone seen it yet?

Edited by gendouhydeist

Every time i try run 4) from a cmd prompt, run install_wim_tweak.exe /m & then type c:\s2

i get same error...

Creating BKP of registry file... Unhandled error occured.

An invalid name request was made. The name requested cannot be retrieved at this

time.

-------------------Ending------------------

Removing BKP file... OK

Windows that i try to modified is 7rc 32bit.