Windows 7 & vLite *DEPRECATED*

liquid0624

Well, I thought that deleting the folders break Seven Setup! With this in mind, I'll add a new feature to Nullify: search folders with wildcards and add their names to a batch file. Then I can match yours [DISM batch file+vLite ini file] with a batch file that delete folders tied to removed packages :P

Example (running Nullify in a cmd prompt from WinSxS):

Nullify /s ehome games prn starter profesional premium wallpaper

Will collect all folders names that contain these phrases in their name and add it to a batch file with "RD /S /Q" in front of each line :thumbup

Then, other users can reduce their install size very easy without remove folders manually into WinSxS

What do you think ?

Edited by underxp

aviv00, for example I apply Nullify in the nexts folders (in mounted install.wim):

Winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-shell-wallpaper-scenes_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7229.0_none_b9c0378f79ce0b9a

winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-shell-wallpaper-nature_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7229.0_none_eb1791e5c4cd2a6c

winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-s..lpaper-architecture_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7229.0_none_ef18032e7c2d982e

winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-ehome-* (these folders are tied to Windows Media Center and I removed it with DISM)

and a LOT of other folders !!!!!!!!!!!

It's very simple to reduce WinSxS size, install TreeSize Profesional and check the folders with the bigger size into WinSxS (relatives to packages previously removed with vLite/DISM), apply nullify within TreeSize Profesional

i did that in picture with whereisit

didnt get any problem with the ownership and access denied

... Just an error everytime during installation. Is there somewhere you can dig up what installation fails on?

dead0, underxp or anyone else have more information on this. A log-file that is created, stating the package or file that is missing?

which package or what error are you getting?

ps heres my latest lastsession & batch file for x86:

I am testing 7132 x64 and during installation I get an error concerning that there was a system file missing. But it does not specify which file. Now I am testing again with your protected files and it seems that those are indeed the cause. How did you find out that these files where the cause:

windows\system32\SCardDlg.dll

windows\system32\SystemPropertiesRemote.exe

windows\SysWoW64\SystemPropertiesRemote.exe

tbm.dll is easy, that is reported during installation, the above are not. How did you know?

I am testing 7132 x64 and during installation I get an error concerning that there was a system file missing. But it does not specify which file. Now I am testing again with your protected files and it seems that those are indeed the cause. How did you find out that these files where the cause:

tbm.dll is easy, that is reported during installation, the above are not. How did you know?

to be honest i only kept those coz i thought activation would not work without scarddlg, & for cosmetic reason with the remote settings link in system properties! :P didnt know they were causing install problems :ph34r:

... Just an error everytime during installation. Is there somewhere you can dig up what installation fails on?

dead0, underxp or anyone else have more information on this. A log-file that is created, stating the package or file that is missing?

which package or what error are you getting?

ps heres my latest lastsession & batch file for x86:

to be honest i only kept those coz i thought activation would not work without scarddlg, & for cosmetic reason with the remote settings link in system properties! :P didnt know they were causing install problems :ph34r:

You can keep that stuff, but SCardDlg.dll is not needed for activation anymore. If you wanna keep remote desktop assistance then keep it in vlite and disable the services. But you don't need it unless you use it.

can you guys list all the removable folders in winsxs so i could create a batch of it.. thx

If install Ultimate: all folders that contains "starter", "premium", "profesional", "homebasic" , "enterprise"

If you removed:

- Media Center: all folder that contains "ehome"

- PowerShell: all folder that contains "powershell"

- Printer drivers: all folders that contains "prn"

- Fax: all folders that contains "faxc"

- Sound Schemes: all folders that contains "soundthemes"

- Scanner driver: all folders that contains "wia"

- Themes: all folders that contains "wallpaper"

- ... ... ... ...

Man, it's a tedious work !!!!!!

Edited by underxp

I am finally getting somewhere with 7232 x64. The preset of dead0 breaks WLAN for me (not able to manually connect to a network) and safe removal of USB-HD. The 1st might be QoS (or LLTD related), the 2nd might be related to Windows Connect Now.

Still 16 components to test all Network/Services (want to keep Network and Sharing Center, BITS, Multimedia Class Scheduler, SuperFetch, Task Scheduler, WCS/ICM, Windows Event Log and Windows Update).

edit:

I just got lucky I think as I managed to remove half of the list in 1 turn and the key features that I noticed to break such as WLAN-networking and safe remova lstill work. I also tested WIndows update and only drivers were available, but installed without a hicup.

Edited by Jeronimo

first use dism to remove printer drivers and more so its will remove from driversstore folder

then run vlite

and then

remove all the drivers from winsxs folder [cos all the needed ones is already store in driver store folder]

run search for winsxs\*.inf* remove just the folders no need to remove the files

Edited by aviv00

tedious? what do you mean by that? cant i just delete the whole folder of it? or it will have an error if I just delete the folder?

thx.. i havent done this before gonna try this one.

Is a tedious work because one package/feature can have many folders into WinSxS. And if you delete by mistake one folder tied to a package not removed, then Seven Setup can fail.

I don't delete folders within WinSxS, I nullify their contents. But Dead0 delete the entire folder.

Edited by underxp

i cant strip down, i remove component, like media center, easy tranfer assistant, tablet pc, sample pictures, images or videos... on windows 7 7260 english ISO, after i finish all process try yo install form image or dvd and the install give the error message "Windows can´t show the images for the installation", any idea?

Edited by WolfRamiO

I finally had some luck: updated my preset 4 amd removal_bat.txt. I can add the comments to the opening post of liquid0624 for build 7232 x64...

Can not be removed (installation errors):

Internet Explorer, Windows Firewall, Internet Connection Sharing

Can be removed (reduced functionality):

Quality of Service (no manual set-up of WLAN possible), Windows Connect Now (safe removal gone)

Can be removed (but keep re-appearing):

Welcome Center, TBM

Can be removed (no issues):

Game Explorer, ,Snipping Tool, Application Experience

Untested:

Windows Image Acquisition (required for Webcam)

WLAN Support (I have WLAN)

Network and Sharing Center (previous build/RC caused issues with WLAN configuration)

Multimedia Class Scheduler

Background Intelligent Transfer (I use Windows update)

Windows Update (I use Windows update)

Component Cache (Tricky, see removal_bat.txt)

Manual Install (I use this for testing purposes)

Microsoft HTML Engine (Required for Firefox plugin IEtab)

MDAC (caused serious issues in previous build/RC)

Superfetch (Still think it is useful)

Task Scheduler (Issues with event-sounds and AVast virus scanner, keeping it)

Windows Image Viewer (using it)

WCS/ICM (dependancy with the above)

Windows Event Log (would like to see errors while testing)

Edited by Jeronimo

i cant strip down, i remove component, like media center, easy tranfer assistant, tablet pc, sample pictures, images or videos... on windows 7 7260 english ISO, after i finish all process try yo install form image or dvd and the install give the error message "Windows can´t show the images for the installation", any idea?

are you using one of the builds floating around on the web? looks like the iso was not created properly from the vhd file? :whistle:

I finally had some luck: updated my preset 4 amd removal_bat.txt. I can add the comments to the opening post of liquid0624 for build 7232 x64...

Can not be removed (installation errors):

Internet Explorer, Windows Firewall, Internet Connection Sharing

Can be removed (reduced functionality):

Quality of Service (no manual set-up of WLAN possible), Windows Connect Now (safe removal gone)

Can be removed (but keep re-appearing):

Welcome Center, TBM

Can be removed (no issues):

Game Explorer, ,Snipping Tool, Application Experience

Untested:

Windows Image Acquisition (required for Webcam)

WLAN Support (I have WLAN)

Network and Sharing Center (previous build/RC caused issues with WLAN configuration)

Multimedia Class Scheduler

Background Intelligent Transfer (I use Windows update)

Windows Update (I use Windows update)

Component Cache (Tricky, see removal_bat.txt)

Manual Install (I use this for testing purposes)

Microsoft HTML Engine (Required for Firefox plugin IEtab)

MDAC (caused serious issues in previous build/RC)

Superfetch (Still think it is useful)

Task Scheduler (Issues with event-sounds and AVast virus scanner, keeping it)

Windows Image Viewer (using it)

WCS/ICM (dependancy with the above)

Windows Event Log (would like to see errors while testing)

your batch file:

del /f /s /q "%mount%\Windows\Winsxs\%cb%_prn*">nul

del /f /s /q "%mount%\Windows\system32\Driverstore\FileRepository\faxc*">nul

del /f /s /q "%mount%\Windows\Winsxs\%cb%_faxc*">nul

del /f /s /q "%mount%\Windows\system32\Driverstore\FileRepository\wia*">nul

del /f /s /q "%mount%\Windows\Winsxs\%cb%_wia*">nul

you also forgot to check the windows\inf folder & the winsxs\manifest folder? :P

Edited by dead0