Windows 7 & vLite *DEPRECATED*

liquid0624

Dead0, removing the package Microsoft-Windows-Printer-Drivers-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7229.0 will break install any printer? Or this package is driver only? Because I always need to install a PDF printer.

thats just drivers only! on x64, vlite does not remove the printer drivers so dism is the way to go with that package! also after you done that with dism, you could manually delete the printer driver files from the winsxs folder while the image is still mounted

Edited by dead0

Can especify what files you removed manually ?

I'll try your new .bat with Win7 7229 x86 and report here the results :hello:

unfortunately i didnt keep a note of those files but its usually some of the display drivers, tuner drivers, printer drivers, network drivers

Dead0,after change your new .bat file to use with 7229 x86, and apply your new last_session.ini with vLite, I have the next reality (comparing with your previous files in the mini-guide):

1) The install.wim file is smaller.

2) Of course, the ISO file is smaller (about 30 mb) but.....

3) Windows Seven setup REFUSE to install in a 4 GB disk, and suggest a disk with 6,5 GB of free space. With previous files from mini-guide, I can install Seven in 4 GB hard disk.

4) After install Seven, the hard disk install size (512 MB pagefile without hibernation) is bigger (2.35 GB vs 2.84 GB)

5) Windows Update don't work at first time; I need to open IE first, configure default options, then open WU, WU runs OK.

My conclusion: With Seven x86, your previous DISM removal file is more effective

I will test now: your original mini-guide package removal file + Jeronimo additional packages removal file + vLite

I want to reduce the install size to 2 GB !!!

Edited by underxp

Dead0,after change your new .bat file to use with 7229 x86, and apply your new last_session.ini with vLite, I have the next reality (comparing with your previous files in the mini-guide):

1) The install.wim file is smaller.

2) Of course, the ISO file is smaller (about 30 mb) but.....

3) Windows Seven setup REFUSE to install in a 4 GB disk, and suggest a disk with 6,5 GB of free space. With previous files from mini-guide, I can install Seven in 4 GB hard disk.

4) After install Seven, the hard disk install size (512 MB pagefile without hibernation) is bigger (2.35 GB vs 2.84 GB)

5) Windows Update don't work at first time; I need to open IE first, configure default options, then open WU, WU runs OK.

My conclusion: With Seven x86, your previous DISM removal file is more effective

I will test now: your original mini-guide package removal file + Jeronimo additional packages removal file + vLite

I want to reduce the install size to 2 GB !!!

hmmmm...the new batch file is more suited to x64 as i havent tested it with x86 yet which i will now be turning to...

Stick with dead0's dwm-list that 1 makes sence.

dead0, still I just do not understand...

Why the following are not removed with dism (drivers):

Microsoft-Windows-Client-Drivers-Package, Microsoft-Windows-Client-Wired-Network-Drivers-Package,Microsoft-Windows-Common-Drivers-Package

(those are removed with other packages?)

Why this is removed with dism and not with vLite:

Microsoft-Windows-RDC-Package (Remote Differential Compression)

Edited by Jeronimo

Stick with dead0's dwm-list that 1 makes sence.

dead0, still I just do not understand...

Why the following are not removed with dism (drivers):

Microsoft-Windows-Client-Drivers-Package, Microsoft-Windows-Client-Wired-Network-Drivers-Package,Microsoft-Windows-Common-Drivers-Package

(those are removed with other packages?)

Why theis is removed with dism and not with vLite:

Microsoft-Windows-RDC-Package (Remote Differential Compression)

i think those packages contain system drivers! you could remove the client wired drivers but they still remain in the driverstore so you still have to remove them manually!

no idea in regards to RDC! :P

ps my install size is now 2.9gb after removing the hiberfile.sys :D

run cmd powercfg -h off

looks like my search function on the start menu doesnt work fully! if you click on more results, get a search:query class not registered error! could this be due to removing some of the search components with vlite or is it linked to the removal of WCF?

looks like i may have to do one more install before i test out b7260 x86...

Edited by dead0

Hey,

I have an EEEPC 701. Currently I'm trying to minimise 7 onto it.

It's about 2.7gb at the moment but I'd rather it be less than 1gb if possible.

I've skimmed through this thread, and played a little with the WAIK but that's the best so far.

7's file structure is giving me a bit of a headache with the hard linking of files and the file permissions/ownership - which admittedly is a GREAT idea for file security and should have been done donkeys ago (NT4).

I made a PE iso, and that works, but I guess what I'd really like is 7lite (everyone here does) or 7 embedded.

Anyhows, what I know:

Randomly deleting files can break things.

Deleting files doesnt always delete them, it just deletes a hard link to another file.

7 is bloated.

I'd like to delete packages from the original ISO. Can WAIK do this?

I'm especially interested in deleting all the unneeded drivers - previously I'd just delete driver.cab but... well, you know :/

What's the smallest 32bit iso/install size anyone has made so far?

Tips/links appreciated.

Edited by myne

Man your install size is < that mine !!!!

Check this:

1) 7229 x86 ULTIMATE have 364 packages/features.

2) Original DISM remove guide from dead0 remove 72 packages (your txt remove 87 packages !!!!!!)

3) vLite "see" about 179 packages

364 (ALL) - 72 (Dead0 guide) - 179 (vLite package list) = 113 --> not visible/removible with vLite ?

After applying DISM, vLite DON'T show correct packages leftover.

even tho the tweak shows 364 packages, a lot of the packages are interlinked! also, most of the packages have 2 or 3 instances of each such as client wired drivers & client wired driver en_us & client wired driver tk_tm etc

hmmmm....just got my x86 b7260 install.wim down to 565mb?

oops looks like i may have to keep manual install?

Whaaaaaaaats ? How can you do it ? 565 MB :blink:

but i cant seem to install it, keep getting image information not found error?