Windows 7 & vLite *DEPRECATED*

liquid0624

ive been trying to remove manually some files from the winsxs folder such as the japanese ime components, natural language, sample files etc but i keep getting install errors?

ps if you use dism to remove packages, they are not completely removed? ie if you remove the printer drivers package, the drivers are still left in the winsxs folder so you may have to remove them manually! also, does anyone find that removing the packages actually makes the install size bigger?

you mean to remove with dism without applying vlite after it?

you mean to remove with dism without applying vlite after it?

if you remove with dism, they dont show up in vlite! tablet pc is the main one that only shows up even after dism removal?

Hello again.

I have now used some few days to try and find out where the problems is when like Windows Features, Group Policy Editor, Snipping Tool, Sticky Notes etc etc have failed to work.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate RC2 Build 7229 (64-bit) installed in VirtualBox now, and it's working perfect here now. So i'm soon gonna install it for real on my computer.

So by this, everything are working out of the box after how i vLited it. But i don't know how it will work after you start to install programs and that. But i believe it will work pretty nice, hopefully.

I will give you 2 pictures with the things i haven't checked to be removed under. There are 85 things i haven't removed.

vLite Part 1 & vLite Part 2

This is what's not removed. And when i have removed the other things there, the ISO file takes 1.79 GB.

I can probably remove some few more things though, but don't think i want to take the risk of removing any more stuffs if i want a stable and fully working Windows 7. Will ofc try to remove more and try Windows 7 out in VirtualBox and will update this post if i find Windows 7 to still be rock stable and fully working when i have removed more things there though.

I found the 'Fax Support' to screw up the 'Windows Features' thing in Windows if you remove the 'Fax Support'. Help will also screw up Windows Features like it was told in the first post in this topic.

I think Printer Support and TV-Tuner Support also breaks the Windows Features to. But i'm keeping those anyways, because you never know when you will need a Printer or when you will get a TV-Tuner card. And who need Modem support today :lol: ?. Yes this one is removed to.

Edit: I found Windows Search to break Windows Features to if you remove Windows Search. If you want to remove it, then do it in Windows Features in Windows 7.

When it's about the Services you can disable etc. Then i found the service 'Problem Reports and Solutions Control Panel Support' to be needed / enabled. If you stop that service you wont be able to start the Windows Audio and the Windows Audio Endpoint Builder services. And if you can't start those 2 services, then you can't install any new audio drivers or get the sound to work.

But i wouldn't just start to disable lots of services if you don't know 100% on what service your disabling. Well it might not be a problem though, because you can luckily enable the services again in Windows after you have installed Windows 7.

Some services will make some of the features / things in Windows to stop working if you disable them, so just be carefull on what your disabling.

But i have disabled lots of services and still have a fully working Windows 7 though :thumbup . But that's because i know what i'm doing heh.

So just keep those things as i haven't removed in vLite if you want a fully working Windows 7 Ultimate RC2 Build 7229 (64-bit).

I hope this helps some of you here with some of the problems you might have.

Edited by Tom-Helge

Hello again.

I have now used some few days to try and find out where the problems is when like Windows Features, Group Policy Editor, Snipping Tool, Sticky Notes etc etc have failed to work.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate RC2 Build 7229 (64-bit) installed in VirtualBox now, and it's working perfect here now. So i'm soon gonna install it for real on my computer.

So by this, everything are working out of the box after how i vLited it. But i don't know how it will work after you start to install programs and that. But i believe it will work pretty nice, hopefully.

I will give you 2 pictures with the things i haven't checked to be removed under. There are 85 things i haven't removed.

vLite Part 1 & vLite Part 2

This is what's not removed. And when i have removed the other things there, the ISO file takes 1.79 GB.

I can probably remove some few more things though, but don't think i want to take the risk of removing any more stuffs if i want a stable and fully working Windows 7. Will ofc try to remove more and try Windows 7 out in VirtualBox and will update this post if i find Windows 7 to still be rock stable and fully working when i have removed more things there though.

I found the 'Fax Support' to screw up the 'Windows Features' thing in Windows if you remove the 'Fax Support'. Help will also screw up Windows Features like it was told in the first post in this topic.

I think Printer Support and TV-Tuner Support also breaks the Windows Features to. But i'm keeping those anyways, because you never know when you will need a Printer or when you will get a TV-Tuner card. And who need Modem support today :lol: ?. Yes this one is removed to.

Edit: I found Windows Search to break Windows Features to if you remove Windows Search. If you want to remove it, then do it in Windows Features in Windows 7.

When it's about the Services you can disable etc. Then i found the service 'Problem Reports and Solutions Control Panel Support' to be needed / enabled. If you stop that service you wont be able to start the Windows Audio and the Windows Audio Endpoint Builder services. And if you can't start those 2 services, then you can't install any new audio drivers or get the sound to work.

But i wouldn't just start to disable lots of services if you don't know 100% on what service your disabling. Well it might not be a problem though, because you can luckily enable the services again in Windows after you have installed Windows 7.

Some services will make some of the features / things in Windows to stop working if you disable them, so just be carefull on what your disabling.

But i have disabled lots of services and still have a fully working Windows 7 though :thumbup . But that's because i know what i'm doing heh.

So just keep those things as i haven't removed in vLite if you want a fully working Windows 7 Ultimate RC2 Build 7229 (64-bit).

I hope this helps some of you here with some of the problems you might have.

Hey Tom check out the elite preset in the first post or PM and i will send u my custom personal preset. My install with DVD maker and games deleted. winsxs backup deleted, wallpapers and sounds as well and the drive compression turned on my 64 bit install was a total of 2.8 gigs and my ISO file for the install was about 1.7 gigs (Build 7232 x64). I will add your findings to the main post about windows search and the fax removal causing windows features to break. My audio services are started and i have the error reporting services disabled i actually removed it using vlite. My X-Fi titanium works like a dream. No point in keeping the TV support if your not keeping media center. If you have any questions i would be more then glad to help but you can definitely remove more without consequence.

Hey Tom check out the elite preset in the first post or PM and i will send u my custom personal preset. My install with DVD maker and games deleted. winsxs backup deleted, wallpapers and sounds as well and the drive compression turned on my 64 bit install was a total of 2.8 gigs and my ISO file for the install was about 1.7 gigs (Build 7232 x64). I will add your findings to the main post about windows search and the fax removal causing windows features to break. My audio services are started and i have the error reporting services disabled i actually removed it using vlite. My X-Fi titanium works like a dream. No point in keeping the TV support if your not keeping media center. If you have any questions i would be more then glad to help but you can definitely remove more without consequence.

Hey.

Yeah i'm gonna try and remove TV-Tuner Support now.

Can you tell me exactly here what you have to do to have the DVD Maker, winsxs backup deleted after you have Windows 7 installed?.

And also tell me what you have to do to get the drive compression turned on on my Windows HDD after i have installed Windows 7?. Also so i don't have to turn it on my self after Windows 7 is installed.

If you can tell me that here or via PM it would be great. It will save me some time to configure Windows 7 after i have installed it.

Things like Games are already deleted here. The sounds in Windows is something i want to keep though, also the sounds you have to keep to get a notification sound when you get a new e-mail for example. The wallpapers are also removed. Sound and Wallpaper Samples are deleted also.

And just to add one important thing. DO NOT REMOVE 'Distributed File System (DFS)'. Or else it will break the Group Policy Editor. Like when you go to Start Menu, then goes to Run and then write in 'gpedit.msc'. If you remove 'Distributed File System (DFS)', you will totally break the Group Policy Editor.

But you have already written that down so you knows about it, but i just wanted to make it VERY clear that the Distributed File System is important to not remove heh. Because it's a very important part of Windows. Or it's important for those who use it, like me.

So i recommend you to remove that one from your presets just incase someone needs that :) .

Edit: Can i remove the Windows Image Acquistion thing?. Isn't that only for Cameras and Scanners?. Or will it break something else?.

Edited by Tom-Helge

Just a few pointers:

Windows Search removed with Windows features also removes search in Menu Start and explorer (vLite does not, dism untested)

Winodws Image Acquisition is also used for Webcams (not just photo cameras).

I think vLite might do a better job at cleaning packages (also from winsxs?). Need to test what is best: dead-0 guide and then vLite or the other way round?

Also you can use dism and do not need waik, you just need to make sure all files are up to date in the sources-folder if you have a VHD-version. These files can be extracted from the install.wim (7-Zip) or if you mount it with imagex (mount the image for a tool to mount the image, contradiction -_-). You need the dism.exe from windows\system32, dism*.exe- and WimProvider.dll from windows32\system32\dism to the sources-folder. Also you might need dism.exe.mui from windows\system32\en-us and dism*.mui from windows\system32\dism\en-us to sources\en-use folder.

Mount (must be a folder, root not allowed) with:

%sources%\dism.exe /mount-wim /wimfile:"%sources%\install.wim" /index:1 /mountdir:%mount%

Un-mount with:

%sources%\dism.exe /unmount-wim /mountdir:%mount% /commit

(undo with /discard instead of /commit)

Just a few pointers:

Windows Search removed with Windows features also removes search in Menu Start and explorer (vLite does not, dism untested)

Winodws Image Acquisition is also used for Webcams (not just photo cameras).

I think vLite might do a better job at cleaning packages (also from winsxs?). Need to test what is best: dead-0 guide and then vLite or the other way round?

Also you can use dism and do not need waik, you just need to make sure all files are up to date in the sources-folder if you have a VHD-version. These files can be extracted from the install.wim (7-Zip) or if you mount it with imagex (mount the image for a tool to mount the image, contradiction -_-). You need the dism.exe from windows\system32, dism*.exe- and WimProvider.dll from windows32\system32\dism to the sources-folder. Also you might need dism.exe.mui from windows\system32\en-us and dism*.mui from windows\system32\dism\en-us to sources\en-use folder.

Mount (must be a folder, root not allowed) with:

%sources%\dism.exe /mount-wim /wimfile:"%sources%\install.wim" /index:1 /mountdir:%mount%

Un-mount with:

%sources%\dism.exe /unmount-wim /mountdir:%mount% /commit

(undo with /discard instead of /commit)

ive cut down some of the removal with dism such as media center & tablet pc! using both dism & vlite to remove.

ps you wont be able to use dism after vlite as you might get errors?

Edited by dead0

wow that's small what all are you removing ? :whistle:

i'll post, hopefully my final findings, tomorrow! i manually removed some drivers from the driverstore & winsxs, also the natural language from system32 & syswow64 & winsxs, some leftover inbox games files from winsxs, also removed windows powershell...

Edited by dead0