Question: Installing Office 2007 on Multiple Computers

Longhair

Straight forward question but...

I have 1 desktop, 1 laptop and 1 netbook. I am also the primary user of all 3 computers.

On the netbook, I am doing a dual language / dual boot install of Windows XP.

How many "computers" am I able to install Office 2007 Professional (academic use only) on?

If you are a student, then I believe you can only install that copy of Office on a single computer (since it is an academic copy).

However, if you had Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007...

Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 Retail License Terms allow for installation on three devices.
Source: Microsoft Office Online

If you're a student, you can pick up the Office 2007 Ultimate Steal and get Office 2007 Ultimate full retail version for $60 (or 52 euros):

http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts...us/default.aspx

Back when I was in school, that was just one night out at the bars, so stay sober one night and it's paid for! :lol:

As a dual-booter myself, I've read the Office 2007 EULA carefully. You can install the full retail version of Office 2007 Ultimate on one desktop and one portable device. Unfortunately, the EULA considers two operating system installations on one physical machine to be two devices; therefore, you couldn't install it on your desktop and both your XP installations on your netbook.

But this would get you up to at least three non-infringing installations...maybe you could talk to somebody at your school's IT department to see if they would allow you a second Office install on the academic license, especially if you're using the netbook with two separate languages. From an academic standipoint, you may need to have access to the program in multiple languages.

If you're a student, you can pick up the Office 2007 Ultimate Steal and get Office 2007 Ultimate full retail version for $60 (or 52 euros):

http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts...us/default.aspx

Back when I was in school, that was just one night out at the bars, so stay sober one night and it's paid for! :lol:

As a dual-booter myself, I've read the Office 2007 EULA carefully. You can install the full retail version of Office 2007 Ultimate on one desktop and one portable device. Unfortunately, the EULA considers two operating system installations on one physical machine to be two devices; therefore, you couldn't install it on your desktop and both your XP installations on your netbook.

But this would get you up to at least three non-infringing installations...maybe you could talk to somebody at your school's IT department to see if they would allow you a second Office install on the academic license, especially if you're using the netbook with two separate languages. From an academic standipoint, you may need to have access to the program in multiple languages.

Good to know, and I hadn't realized that the Ultimate Steal deal was still going on... I thought it expired last year, but I guess they brought it back.

Good to know, and I hadn't realized that the Ultimate Steal deal was still going on... I thought it expired last year, but I guess they brought it back.

They brought it back with a vengeance - a quick review of the US, Canada, and Spain websites shows that it does not expire until December 31, 2010, and Australia's is extended "until further notice."

Thanks for sharing that offer :thumbup

I did finally get a hold of the Activation Center and asked them about it...

Only 2 computers - desktop & laptop :}

At that price, I would rather purchase an extra copy than risk security holes big enough to drive a truck through.