Online Flash video not playing

JedMeister

Hi all,

I've got a really strange problem that's got me completely stumped at the moment.

A laptop was bought to me today with complaint that embedded flash video wouldn't play. Apparently it was fine 2 days ago but all of a sudden it stopped working. According to the owner nothing has been installed or uninstalled other than AV updates.

Here are the symptoms and what I've tried:

• Only some sites: YouTube works fine but watchxonline.com and wtso.net won't work. Both pages load fine (no errors noted) but with just a blank white square where the player should be.
  • Browser independent: It occurs both in IE7 & Firefox 3.0.10
  • Checked on another PC: I checked both sites on another PC (incidentally on the same network at the time). Both sites worked fine (running Win XP).
  • Restored to a point prior to the problem: I did a System Restore to a point just before the problem started and then to be sure a point 2 days before that.
  • Cleaned up cookies, temp files, etc: I have run both Ccleaner and used the 'clean-up' tools from Revo Uninstaller.
  • Specifically cleaned Flash cookies I installed the Objection Addon for Firefox and deleted all Flash cookies (I believe that the cookies are browser independent and this should remove them from both browsers). I also ran the flash cookie global settings on the Adobe website for good measure.
  • Run system scans: I ran an AV (free version of PC Tools AV) scan and a Spybot scan. Spybot came back clean, PC Tools claimed a video firefox addon was spyware (so I uninstalled it).
  • Disabled AV: In case it was the AV interfering with the videos I tried disabling it. In the end I even tried uninstalling it.
  • Reinstalled Flash 10
  • Reset winsock and flushed DNS: A last ditch effort to no avail!

[edit] It works now. I forgot that I had not restarted Firefox after cleaning the cookies using the Global Settings Manager on the Adobe website. I guess I just didn't think that'd do it. But it did. Videos play fine now!

Edited by JedMeister

Thanks for your reply Kotuku. :hello: Yes I got it fixed. :thumbup

I would've deleted the thread but I couldn't see how.

Besides, perhaps it may help someone else out should they have the same or similar problem. B)