Corrupted IE7 Slipstream (Win2k Host)

Crash&Burn

Ran HFSLIP from Win2K; placed included the install.exe from WinXP SP2 in the Tools folder.

When I installed XP, IE7 would run, but it was corrupted.

Would not allow to change Search preferences when IE7 does its "first run"

Kept getting the message You need to run Internet Explorer to do this.

Also there was no IE7 Icon on the desktop, and no way to add it in from Desktop settings.

I found a number of links related to my error, it had to do with a missing Registry key - but even after I added/fixed that key, I still could not get the IE7 "special object" onto the desktop, nor make changes to IE7, it also wasn't tracking history use.

Anyways, I had to uninstall IE7 from "Add/Remove Programs", reinstall from an IE7 microsoft download.

Still wasn't working right, I "removed" IE7 again from add/remove programs (which didn't do much of anything)

Then added it back again - from the same interface (which didn't seem to do much of anything either)

[Though some registry keys were likely fixed from the last 2 steps]

Now the icon was available and on the desktop, and it functioned properly (ie tracked history and allowed changes to Search default).

heres my log, an odd thing I noticed in the log, right up at the top: Host OS - Unknown

Has anyone else had success in creating a WInXP SP3 + IE7 + WMP11 disk w/ HFSLIP lately?

The WMP11 install seemed to be fine. XP otherwise was fine, and Windows Update confirmed it was patched to date.

Yet IE7 was fubar ;)

HFSLIP.zip

Edited by Crash&Burn

Most xp users are using ie8 nowadays. I can't be much help other than to rename your folder from "_" to something with letters instead. Perhaps running ie7 slipstream on a 2k host is a limitation? I don't know.

I don't USE IE :-) Well absolutely as little as possible. IE8 can go rot for all I care. Opera for the world :-)

I'm just getting around to XP - I figure its prolly pretty stable by now hehehe.

And finding a few too many things these days have issues with win2k :-/

Otherwise I'd just rather stay with windows 2000.

Thanks anyways, I'll just install a junk XP install and go from there.

• 3 weeks later...
heres my log, an odd thing I noticed in the log, right up at the top: Host OS - Unknown

I was reading thru the HFSLIP .cmd, and pulled out the mini-section

:: Find host OS - based on code posted by Yzöwl on MSFN.org

By running that code by itself, I found out that quite some time ago - around when I had installed UNXUTILS -

in order to remove conflicts of some similiarly named commands... a few things in Windows were changed and

a few things in the wbin of UnxUtils were changed...

Namely, Win2K\system32\find.exe - wound up becoming findw.exe, as the UnxUtils "find.exe" is more powerful and faster.

(but obviously, uses linuxtype -flags instead of microsoftType /flags).

Edited by Crash&Burn