Win98 blank screen when locked

Dude112

I did alot of UPLOADING/DOWNLOADING the other day of some media files (I was viewing them,then deleted them) and now i noticed that my TASK MANAGER when i click "Lock computer" just gives me a blank screen (It used to have a box in the middle to enter a password to unlock it)

Anyone know what files i could check and see if they have been altered or corrupted somehow??

Im on Win98se and i have Task Manager by GOLD LIMIT...

Just very strange this would happen,im thinking maybe a system file was corrupted during my deleting of some other file or something the other day im not sure.....

This is what im using if someone wants to look into this for me :)

http://web.archive.org/web/20040402054300/...askmgr10eng.exe

Best task manager ever for Win98se :)

88k!!! (Quite nice)

I am changing your the topic title from "Software issue" to "Win98 blank screen when locked" and moving it to the 9x forum - see Rule #12 and be more careful in the future.

What would your Task Manager have to do with this?

Well some system file might have gotton corrupted that TASK MANAGER uses when its "locked" im not sure....

I got another copy of the program and tried it with the same results so it is not the program..

When i click SUPER TASK and then 'COMPUTER LOCK' in task manager i just get a green screen.. (Just started happenbing a few days ago) it used to let me enter my password to unlock it once on that screen..

Thank you for moving my thread,im sorry i posted it on the wrong base.. (I was gonna post it here then thought it would be better there)

Edited by Dude112

No the link above is a TASK MANAGER program for Win98/ME (Looks like XPs task manager) and when i click SUPER TASK/'COMPUTER LOCK' - It locked my computer and let me enter the password to unlock it...

Now it just gives me a blank screen..... Im thinking it might be SHELL related as when i click "Fast control" it also goes to a blank screen (And i have to re-boot)

Im not sure what caused this,maybe the extreme file work i was doing the other day did it i dunno.... (This computer isnt the best (Company name on it: A.I.M (Area Idea Mechanics) which are horrible,im lucky i got it working as good as i have since getting this in my room))

I wish i could narrow down what it was...... (Just curious)

Edited by Dude112

Okay, I have some questions for you to help you isolate the problem.

Have been using this program for long? Has it always did strange things? The program might be buggy.

Did you see if rebooting your PC solves this issue? Windows 9X tends to behave funny when you leave it on a lot. You should always shut down your Windows 98 PC when it's not in use (and if not, give it a reboot twice per day) This will make sure Windows 98 relinquishes resources for your programs.

You said that you where downloading/uploading files a lot and then this happened. Are you sure they're arent any active malware in your system? Are you using a filesharing program such as Limewire? You should always scan your files, and be careful to not download anything that looks untrustworthy. You might want to scan the partitition Windows 98 resides in on another operating system as it may be a route kit. The older versions of Windows (before 2k) are very susceptible to this.

Also the problem sounds a bit like a memory/hardware issue. You could try taking out some memory modules, and then placing them back in one by one and see if you can recreate the problem with one, or if the problem totally disapears when you remove the offending memory module.

Unplug certain cards that are not necessary to the basic function of your PC. Unplug sound cards, ethernet adapters, modems. You're problem might vanish if one of those is bad.

No the program has been ROCK SOLID before i did all that file work the other day.....

I also notice that one of my AIM utilities (Peeping tom) gives me a RUN TIME 5 error most of the time now when i try to run it (Didnt do that before either)

I always shut down,i dont believe in leaving it on... Its a waste of resources and power!

Nope,dont use any LIMEWIRE or anything (ALL GOOD POINTS MY FRIEND AND I THANK YOU)

• 1 month later...

I finally figured it out!!

I had ALWAYS ON TOP unchecked in task manager and when i locked it,the box to enter password went UNDERNEATH the green screen!!

Now if i could figure out why when i run a certain program i get an error that says "Runtime error 5 -- Invalid Procedure call or argument"

It only happens when my cable modem is PLUGGED IN!!

Could my cable modem be blocking this program from running somehow?? (I believe it is as i mentioned on that other thread (I dont wanna bother typing/pasting it all :D)

It didnt used to happen!! (Until i did all that file work,then i noticed it after (When i tried to run that program))

Heres a thread for reference on this > http://www.daniweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10609

Thanx for any help!!

"Runtime error 5 -- Invalid Procedure call or argument"

Dude. You're running Windows 98. It will happen.

In order to get 9x in a usable state I either have to remove IE from Windows 98 altogether with 98lite/IEradicator or just revert to 95. At least it was actually usable, didn't leak resources like a ship with no floor and didn't require extraneous resources to run on.

But it seems like my cable modem is blocking this from running!

When i unplug the modem,THE PROGRAM WORKS FINE!!

If i connect to the BELKIN router upstairs: THE PROGRAM WORKS FINE!!

My question is: How can the modem have any say over what i execute on here?? (When the modem is unplugged,etc the program runs fine which is wierd!!))

This SMC router the cable co. stuck me with is a piece of garbage in everyway...

DNS hijacking occurs with this,took me quite awhile to get it to accept MY OWN DNS SETTINGS.. (Doesnt seem quite as fast loading pages (Slightly slower (Probably cause it is setup differently than my older PCX5000 modem (Best one i ever had))))

Edited by Dude112

Well it's obviously a conflict of some kind. Resource, device, software. Like the fact that 9x hated you if you tried to play sound from more than one source at once.

I'd be betting that if you did an upgrade on any of the modem software (if applicable), firmware or any other variables you could solve it. If you dual boot with any other OSes try them and see if you get any further.

Well it's obviously a conflict of some kind. Resource, device, software. Like the fact that 9x hated you if you tried to play sound from more than one source at once.
Yea its very wierd,it didnt used to happen..

Luckily i can play audio from AS MANY SOURES AS I WANT TO AT THE SAME TIME... (Doesnt sound too good though of course :D)

Odd. I was certain that if you were playing audio from Windows Media Player and then, say, tried to launch into a game, the OS would scream and b***h at you to turn one of them off. Maybe it was hardware/driver specific or not present in 98 -- I have much more hands on experience with 95, thankfully.

Like the fact that 9x hated you if you tried to play sound from more than one source at once.

I have certainly no issues with that on Windows ME and none I can recall with Windows 98 but that's quite a while ago. I am thinking any kind of issues are due to the soundcard drivers and not Windows.

On my current board I can even have several applications at once using the same ASIO driver, which bypasses the windows mixer, something which was not possible on my previous board and which surprised me as ASIO is generally understood as allowing only one single application at once to use the soundcard, onboard AC97 audio in both cases.

Edited by eidenk

Maybe it was hardware/driver specific or not present in 98 --

I think its hardware-specific. I can hear sound from one or two apps. If I launch third app with sound, the first one stops producing sound and continues to run silently. But no crashes.