KB892130 and KB905474

zedox

I use the same website to get my updates.

I don't know what to tell you concerning WGA Notification (KB905474) since the links to it in the list just takes you to the MS download site. Most current version is 1.9.40.0 from March 09 far as I know.

As for legitcheckcontrol.cab (KB892130), make sure you use the filename link and not the KB Article link. The download file in the listed KB Article is an old version. The current version I know of is 1.9.9.1 from February 09.

You might want to make sure you are including the current version for WindowsUpdateAgent, and the appropriate cabs for either Windows Update or Microsoft Update.

• 1 month later...

I have posted this before as I experienced this behavior also some time ago.

Add the following file to the HFEXPERT\HIVEINSTALL folder:

kb905474.inf

[Version]
Signature = "$Windows NT$"

[DefaultInstall]
AddReg = SETUP

[SETUP]
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\WgaNotify",,0x10
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\WgaNotify\SP0",,0x10
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\WgaNotify\SP0\WgaNotify",,0x10
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\WgaNotify\SP0\WgaNotify","InstalledDate",0,""
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\WgaNotify\SP0\WgaNotify","InstalledBy",0,""
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\WgaNotify\SP0\WgaNotify","Type",0x0,"Update"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\WgaNotify\SP0\WgaNotify\Filelist",,0x10
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Genuine Advantage","EulaState",0x10001,02,00,00,00
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Genuine Advantage","EulaVersion",0x0,"1.9.40.0"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Genuine Advantage","InstallID",0x0,"{30F230D0-7940-499e-8A01-748682288985}"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\WgaLogon","InstallEvent",0x0,"1.9.0040.0"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\WgaLogon","Event",0x10001,00,00,00,00
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\WgaLogon","SafeMode",0x10001,01,00,00,00
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\System\WgaNotify",,0x10
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\System\WgaNotify","EventMessageFile",0x20000,"%%SystemRoot%%\System32\spmsg.dll"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\System\WgaNotify","TypesSupported",0x10001,07,00,00,00

This seems to fix it for me.

I also have the same problem with KB892130 and KB905474; I will try Acheron's fix and report back.

As far as KB892130 goes, rooting around in the SoftwareDistribution folder seems to indicate that Microsoft Update is preferring version 1.7.69.2 of legitcheckcontrol.dll instead of 1.9.9.1. That's the version that is flagged as missing via website updates, anyway. Maybe a problem on their end?

I also have the same problem with KB892130 and KB905474; I will try Acheron's fix and report back.

As far as KB892130 goes, rooting around in the SoftwareDistribution folder seems to indicate that Microsoft Update is preferring version 1.7.69.2 of legitcheckcontrol.dll instead of 1.9.9.1. That's the version that is flagged as missing via website updates, anyway. Maybe a problem on their end?

Microsoft never makes mistakes. LOL! There have been many occasions where WU will look for and insist that an old file is required. Let it slide for a bit and check in a week or two.

1.9.9.1? The latest version of LegitCheckControl is 1.9.40.0 and it works fine for me. I don't use HFSLIP though.

And last few times I've checked WU didn't bother me about not having WGAN installed.

Acheron's .inf worked for dealing with KB905474.

1.9.9.1? The latest version of LegitCheckControl is 1.9.40.0 and it works fine for me. I don't use HFSLIP though.

And last few times I've checked WU didn't bother me about not having WGAN installed.

Huh, so is the KB905474 problem specific to HFSLIP, then? The long WGAN/BK905474 thread seems to indicate that there is new code in the latest version that HFSLIP is not handling properly? Sorry if this has all been asked before; I know very little about this sort of thing. >.<

As far as KB892130 goes... now that it's been mentioned, 1.9.40.0 sounds familiar... I seem to recall having downloaded this version at some point, but I had like 5 different WGANs floating around at the time, trying to figure out which one to slipstream, and now I can't find it again. Might someone be so kind as to provide a link to this latest version? I cannot find it for the life of me. :blushing:

Hmm, that go link is downloading 1.9.9.1. I found this link that does both and is the latest version of legitcheckcontrol. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...1c-d31a9a90cdcf

File Name: WindowsXP-KB905474-ENU-x86.exe

Version: 1.9.0040.0

Edit: OK, this is weird. I know for sure that MS made me update to 1.9.40.0 but now I just deleted legitcheckcontrol and revalidated and get 1.9.9.1. This is what I got:

legitcheckcontrol1.pnglegitcheckcontrol2.png

Edited by -X-

Well, an update: I made a .cab using the LegitCheckControl (1.9.40.0) from the site off of -X-'s sig, changed the version number in the .inf file from the old .dll to match the new .dll, and slipstreamed the new .cab in. Works a treat, and I'm no longer getting bugged about KB892130.

As for KB905474, I've decided that I'm not even going to install this file anymore, so I'm not gonna worry about that one. :whistle:

• 1 month later...
As for KB905474, I've decided that I'm not even going to install this file anymore, so I'm not gonna worry about that one.

Good choice. KB905474 doesn't do anything except phone home to Microsoft with your hardware information. It is not needed for Windows Update or any Windows function whatsoever. It should be avoided. YOU DO NOT NEED IT.

Edited by Ambassador

Tried it to WindowsXP-KB905474-XXX-x86.exe extract, remove wganotifypackageinner.exe re-appointed as WindowsXP-KB905474-XXX-x86.exe to integrate, test a bit nowhere

Edited by fz500