What AntiVirus/Firewall to use

I'm using Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 Technical Release 9.0.0.459 which is the same to be released for other systems, not the Technical Release being Beta-tested for Windows 7.

In two weeks, I haven't had any problems with it.

Vista and Windows 7 firewalls are good but I prefer to have my set of custom rules for anything. Call me paranoid, but I'm used to this since I began to use software firewalls years ago.

Free anti-virus are great choices but I won't fully trust them. But as I have seen many users of commercial Anti-virus, namely (in more than one occasion) NOD32 3.x or 4.x and Norton 2008 and 2009, I will encourage users to use other apps (Kaspersky is the best IMHO and people I have recommend it to are clean of viruses now) or to try the free alternatives and save some money :}

indeed Eset NOD32 or Eset Smart Security(if you really want a firewall) are really amazing products, barely take ANY Resource at all, dont whine about little things, update silently and only bother you when something is really wrong.

Sidenote would be that Both NOD32 and Smart Security are in x86 or x64 variants :)

i have tested these on Win7, both 32 and 64bit and they work great!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Windows Firewall is good enough but people like to have an icon in systray so they try a lot of firewall software.

Perhaps it's good enough. But it's so darn difficult to even come close to configuring it. I have yet to figure out what it all means in the configuration. Not to mention that it's a workout trying to find the settings. It's really for IT pros and not the casual home user.

I use Comodo Firewall because I understand it. I actually have both Windows Firewall and Comodo active at same time. Never had a problem. (As a matter of fact, installing Comodo does not deactivate Windows Firewall so I just happen to run both.)

People say not to run two at same time but I can't find any concrete negative effects of running both.

...Sandboxie which completely eliminates the need for security software...

Sanboxie FAQ

Do I need other solutions if I use Sandboxie?

Sandboxie may be your first line of defense, but it should certainly be complemented by the more traditional anti-virus and anti-malware solutions. These solutions can let you know if your system does become infected in any way.

Typically, those other solutions employ various forms of pattern matching to discover malicious software and other threats. Sandboxie, on the other hand, quite simply does not trust any software code enough to let it out of the sandbox.

The combination of the two approaches should keep malicious software -- which is serving the interest of other unknown parties -- out of your computer.

Considering sandboxie is 32bit only, it's not useful for those of us who have migrated to 64bit Windows. Just something to consider if you're thinking about sandboxie and you're running Windows 64bit.