What AntiVirus/Firewall to use

Avast Antivirus

Windows Firewall at the moment

Just learned that Comodo Firewall, newest "version", is now compatible with Windows 7 when installed under compatibility mode.

However, that the firewall is active and running is not reported in Action Center. I'm sure it's running and active but it's bothersome to me that it's not reported.

Seems to me with the next version, which I mean 4.0, it may add compatibility for Windows 7.

Just learned that Comodo Firewall, newest "version", is now compatible with Windows 7 when installed under compatibility mode.

but compatibility mode means its not "fully" compatible? and it did install fine for me but it says "network defence" or firewall is not working in the status

I use the built-in Windows Firewall as I have grown tired of adding exceptions for programs to make outbound connections and maintaining the list on a host firewall.

It has little to do, however, as the NAT provided by my router prevents external clients connecting anywhere except my web server.

For AV I don't like to trust to free software, so I have been using Avira on Vista x64 and Windows 7 x64 without complaint.

And Windows Defender I let "do its thing" for other spyware/malware detection - as I set the PC to Sleep rather than shutdown, I rarely have to check for on-startup or on-logon items, but I check those with AutoRuns periodically.

Guest aryan

Yeah, I too using Kaspersky's Techinical preview and no prob as it also providing Anti_Hacker with Firewall, Intrusion detection and Anti_Spy features. So not to worry, its good to use. You can get it from here.

Speaking of builtin firewall, is it still the same old crap or has it evolved into useful thing just as the whole system?

I am using Comodo btw, and it works great under W7 too.

Win7's firewall is a subset of the firewall in ISA server, so it should be a pretty good two-way firewall. It's not as featureful if you like the popups and alerts as Win7's firewall, but I've not had any real issues with it. I do my firewalling at the egress point, and just use the Windows firewall to protect it from inbound connections anyway.

Windows 7's build-in firewall is quite good actually, for AV I use McAfee VirusScan Enterprise (which is not free unfortunally, but their consumer products are not nearly as good).

Windows firewall and avira atm (moved from nod32). Actually I've read an article few days ago, about how great windows firewall is, and that if properly configured you dont need any additional firewall solution products. It seems they intentionally made it less available to the end user, probably fearing a possibility of a law siut, esspecially in EU. There is also a free tool available on the net to control and setup windows firewall. If you are looking for a bit more funcionality/ease of access , Comodo is the next best choice, although it is now bundled with AV. Acctually Comodo's AV scans quicker then nod32 4.x for example, but dunno if the update AV definitions as frequently as other major AV manufacturers.

Typos...sry

Edited by Angelico_Payne