Vista Ultimate x64 RAM problem

simurqq

This is weird I think. I just installed Vista x64 Ultimate and when on Info Page it shows only 4Gb of usable memory instead of 6Gb. I didn't check the BIOS but when I install WinXP x86 on my previous rig I never had this problem - I used 3 Gb DDR2 memory and it always showed the full 3Gb in task manager.

My specs:

Mobo: ASUS Rampage II Gene

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 D0 2.66GHz

GPU: eVGA nVidia GTX285

RAM: 3x2Gb OCZ

PSU: 700W OCZ

Anyone guess what may be the problem?

This is weird I think. I just installed Vista x64 Ultimate and when on Info Page it shows only 4Gb of usable memory instead of 6Gb. I didn't check the BIOS but when I install WinXP x86 on my previous rig I never had this problem - I used 3 Gb DDR2 memory and it always showed the full 3Gb in task manager.

My specs:

Mobo: ASUS Rampage II Gene

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 D0 2.66GHz

GPU: eVGA nVidia GTX285

RAM: 3x2Gb OCZ

PSU: 700W OCZ

Anyone guess what may be the problem?

Just did a quick Google search and came up with this:
Hop into the BIOS, look for an option mentioned memory remapping (post

back if you can't find it, I'll look up the exact text), it mentions it

should be set one way for 32-bit and one way for 64-bit.

Flip it to the opposite (sorry, I can't tell you if it's enabled or

disabled, that varies depending on the specific motherboard and BIOS

version, I've got both varieties here) and see if that fixes your woes.

http://forums.techarena.in/windows-x64-edi...htm#post3568796

It's worth a try! :)

Thanks for info!

Tried to find memory remapping option in BIOS but to no avail. Can you tell where it is located exactly?

I use ASUS Rampage II Gene. Maybe there is a 3rd-party tool available to do this job?

Thanks for info!

Tried to find memory remapping option in BIOS but to no avail. Can you tell where it is located exactly?

I use ASUS Rampage II Gene. Maybe there is a 3rd-party tool available to do this job?

I have no clue. I just went through the motherboard's manual and couldn't find it. Just out of curiosity, which DIMM slots did you install your memory into?

I installed them according to mobo's Manual - slots A1, B1, C1, i.e. 1x2Gb stick into each slot. Total: 6Gb of RAM reserved under 3 slots.

Edited by simurqq

It sounds like one of your RAM sticks may be bad.

Only have one stick in at a time and switch them out till you find the bad one. Download a free memory tester (memtest86 is one) and check each stick on its own.

If that were the case, the OS would most likely detect the memory, but return a blue screen every now and then (which is not the case). The reason I brought up the DIMM slots is because a quick search on his motherboard will reveal that there have been problems with the A-DIMM slots.

It sounds like one of your RAM sticks may be bad.

Only have one stick in at a time and switch them out till you find the bad one. Download a free memory tester (memtest86 is one) and check each stick on its own.

he doesn't need to download a memory tester as vista has one built in

Thanks for your help, guys!

However, I don't believe it's a hardware problem. My rig is only some days old and has been fully tested by a trusted person before I received it. Even more, I've attached a couple of CPU-Z screens which further prove that the computer does see the memory... As you can see from the right image, all 3 memory slots show the correct volume of memory sticks attached to them.

Thank you!

post-225770-1244407206_thumb.jpg

post-225770-1244407223_thumb.jpg

Edited by simurqq

Thanks for your help, guys!

However, I don't believe it's a hardware problem. My rig is only some days old and has been fully tested by a trusted person before I received it. Even more, I've attached a couple of CPU-Z screens which further prove that the computer does see the memory... As you can see from the right image, all 3 memory slots show the correct volume of memory sticks attached to them.

Thank you!

Hmmm... I wonder if it would have something to do with the fact the RAM is setup in dual-channel mode (DDR3 is for triple-channel setups). Is there a way to setup triple-channel memory mode in the BIOS?

Yes, Mike, DDR3 indeed should be triple channel! As with the "memory remapping" option you've mentioned earlier, I can't find a notion of changing the channel numbers in BIOS :( I better do some google search for now to get a comprehensive BIOS manual...

Thanks for your help anyway!!! :thumbup