[Help] Relpace my laptop hard disk

Hi........

My laptop hard disk is only 80GB and i would like to replace it with 320GB harddisk, but when i open my laptop back side i found a low paper plastic tap connected to the hard , what is the funcation of it? i attach some image of it.

also it is a sata drive?

003nce.jpg

004jic.jpg

005buy.jpg

005buy.jpg

007wlq.jpg

008san.jpg

Edited by mzar720

That is just something that makes it easier to pull the HDD out of its place. It's called a caddy and it is screwed on each side of the HDD. You just put it back on your new HDD, that's all. No worry. Just buy a SATA HDD (I don't think they make IDE disks of that capacity anyway).

@ Ponch

thanks, now i can pull it out and see if it is sata or pata, i run PC Wizard and it say that my hard disk is sata i attached the report plz

check because i want to make sure which kind before i buy now one.

@ Zanskas

my hard looks like a sata one, about the size may be i will buy 500GB if it is available in the market.

I really appreciate ur help guys, thanks :thumbup

PC Wizard 2008 Version 1.84
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<<< Drives >>>

> Number of Disk Controller : 1

>> General Information
Disk Controller : Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7-M Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller

>> Drive Controller Features
Mode : IDE
AHCI : No

> Number of Hard Disk : 1

>> General Information
SMART : Version 1.1

>> Informations Hard Disk Hitachi HTS541680J9SA00
IDE Channel : #1 - Master Drive
Model : Hitachi HTS541680J9SA00
Serial Number : SB2241SGE91U4E
Revision : SB2OC70P
Serial ATA : Yes
Serial ATA version : 1.0 - (SATA-150)
Support : ATA/ATAPI-7
Size : 80 GB
Cache : 7 516 KB
ECC Size : 4
Multiple Sector : 16
IORDY : Yes
LBA Mode : Yes
DMA Mode : Yes
NCQ Mode : Yes
SCT Mode : No
DCO Mode : Yes
NV Cache : No
TCQ Mode : No
CFA Power Mode : No
SETMAX : Yes - Enabled
Multiword DMA Mode : 2
PIO Mode : PIO 4
UDMA Mode max. : 5 (ATA-100)
UDMA Mode Enabled : 5 (ATA-100)
SMART : Yes - Enabled
SMART Self-Test : Yes
AAM : Yes - Disabled
Write Cache : Yes
Streaming Mode : No
Power Management : Yes
APM Mode : Yes - Enabled
APM Level : 16512
PUIS Mode : Yes - Disabled
Security Mode : No
Trusted Computing : No
48-bit Address : Yes
Cylinders : 155061
Heads : 16
Sectors per Track : 63

Zenskas, it's a laptop. Obviously he'll wants to replace it by a HDD that fits both the case and connector. Not by a 3"5 IDE.

I did know that, I was simply telling you that you can get large IDE drives as you said you were not sure IDE drives came in large capacities.

EDIT: Fixed some grammer

Edited by Zenskas

@ Ponch

thanks, now i can pull it out and see if it is sata or pata, i run PC Wizard and it say that my hard disk is sata i attached the report plz

check because i want to make sure which kind before i buy now one.

@ Zanskas

my hard looks like a sata one, about the size may be i will buy 500GB if it is available in the market.

I really appreciate ur help guys, thanks :thumbup

*clipped*

You can tell just by looking at the pictures that it's a 2.5" SATA drive. No need to generate a report.

Zenskas, it's a laptop. Obviously he'll wants to replace it by a HDD that fits both the case and connector. Not by a 3"5 IDE.

I did know that, I was simply telling you that you can get large IDE drives

I did know that as well, but now I also know WD makes IDE laptops ;) HDD up to 320GB (couldn't find bigger) which is the size the OP was planning to get. So now he does need to precise "SATA" to the vendor.

Any 2.5" drive would fit in there, 320GB are rated at good prices, 500GB are over rated in price. Just slide the drive out of the SATA connectors (don't pull it upwards!) and take out the 4 screws of the caddy/HDD and replace the drive that you have now with the new one, 4 screws back in, slide the HDD back in place and you are ready to install, yes to install, your OS again.

So again, note that you need to reinstall your OS again...

Any 2.5" drive would fit in there, 320GB are rated at good prices, 500GB are over rated in price. Just slide the drive out of the SATA connectors (don't pull it upwards!) and take out the 4 screws of the caddy/HDD and replace the drive that you have now with the new one, 4 screws back in, slide the HDD back in place and you are ready to install, yes to install, your OS again.

So again, note that you need to reinstall your OS again..

thanks puntoMX for ur great help....