ISO is 10GB....

Pcmaker

I made an ISO file using the latest version of nlite and I slipstreamed SP2 and SP3. Now the file is 10GB.. won't even fit on a dual layer DVD.

I didnt add anything else, just SP2 and SP3. What did I do wrong?

Pcmaker, must have done plenty wrong to get a 10 GB ISO. You only need SP3, but where the other 9 or so GB came from I have no clue. So, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. Enjoy, John.

What did I do wrong?

You probably put your files on the root instead of creating a dedicated folder and now your ISO includes all the content of your harddisk. If not, simply open the ISO and see what's in it.

and u dont have to slipstream sp2 and then sp3. service packs are cumulative so sp3 includes sp2.....

My Windows disc doesn't even have SP1, can I slipstream SP3 without slipstreaming SP2 first?

and u dont have to slipstream sp2 and then sp3. service packs are cumulative so sp3 includes sp2.....

My Windows disc doesn't even have SP1, can I slipstream SP3 without slipstreaming SP2 first?

From here:

Q: Does SP3 include everything from SP1 and SP2 or do I need to install those first?

A: Though XP SP3 aggregates all of the previously-released XP fixes, Microsoft now says that you will need to install at least SP1 on XP before installing SP3. The company recommends installing SP2 first as well, though that is not required.

In other words, yes, you can, but you will not have the ability to install XP without a product key (like Vista) unless you slipstream SP3 into a copy of XP that already has SP2 slipstreamed into.

gamehead200, I think what you are talking about is a running system. Since Pcmaker is building an ISO for a fresh install, it does not apply. SP3 is all that he needs. There is a long thread in the nLite forum talking about the size increase of installing various combinations of SPs in XP. You two might consider a search for this information. Enjoy, John.

gamehead200, I think what you are talking about is a running system. Since Pcmaker is building an ISO for a fresh install, it does not apply. SP3 is all that he needs. There is a long thread in the nLite forum talking about the size increase of installing various combinations of SPs in XP. You two might consider a search for this information. Enjoy, John.
Yes and no. The quote I inserted into my post refers to a running system, simply to demonstrate that service packs for XP are cumulative. However, slipstreaming SP3 into an already-slipstreamed XP w/ SP2 CD will allow the end-user to install XP onto a system without actually using a product key (similar to the way Vista gets installed). Trust me, I've done my own searching (and found the thread you're referring to), and from what I understand (and from my own experience), slipstreaming SP3 into XP Gold results in an ISO that requires you to input your product key during installation, whereas slipstreaming SP3 into XP Gold with SP2 already slipstreamed results in an ISO (albeit bigger) that allows you to install XP without your product key.

Edit: These guys can explain it better than I can: http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/forums/wi...sp3-155154.html

Edited by gamehead200