Woes for Slipstreaming SP3

So, the other day I was putting together the latest and greatest of my slipstreamed discs. I regularly use slipstreamed discs to make the install process faster when I reformat client computers, but my latest discs were only SP2, and had a lot of holes in them. It was time for new ones.

My goal was to have a disc with:

1) Windows XP Professional OEM

2) XP Service Pack 3

3) RyanVM's PostSP3 upgrades

4) RyanVM's WGA Update Addon

5) Windows Media Player 11 Slipstream

6) IE7 Slipstream

7) A few unrelated programs that install unattended in the RunOnce

But after takin an XP disc and slipstreaming SP3 onto it, I ran into a whole pile of trouble.

In the "bluebootup box" during setup:

"Unable to find SP3.CAB"

"Unable to find Stream.sys"

+ many many others

In the main setup:

"Unregmp2.dll cannot find WMDRMSDK.DLL"

+ a hundred others as a result of the above error

Nothing seemed to work. As it turned out, half the files from SP3 were never integrated into my install! So after much playing and toying around, I figured out a sequence that seems to work:

1) Extract a clean XP Pro OEM + SP2 disc

2) Use nLite to integrate Service Pack 3

3) Use nLite to integrate RyanVM's PostSP3 pack and WGA addon

4) Manually open the Service Pack 3 install EXE using WinRAR

5) Extract ALL files in the root of the service pack into the \I386\ folder. Make sure to SKIP files that already exist though. This ensures that everything that was in the service pack is also in the installation.

6) Add whatever you want to the $OEM$ folder

Finally, use a batch file in the RunOnce to execute all of the WMP11 hotfixes and the installation itself. I found the WMP11 Slipstreamer to be flaky when combined with SP3.

7) Build the ISO file using nLite and test on a virtual machine

For some reason it was really important to get all the files out of the SP3 installer manually and drop them into the I386 folder. Stuff was missing until I did that.

------ edit -------

Edited the steps above to be more accurate. RyanVM's integrator + SP3 apparantly doesn't mix well.

Edited by Frosty555

What is the /integrate switch? Do you mean on the SP3 installer EXE? Isn't that basically just what nLite does?

Darn it.... I spoke too soon about it working properly. I get "Advanced INF Install" errors saying it can't find WMP.INF. And a rundll32.exe failure saying it cannot find framedyn.dll and srcclient.dll.

Seriously SP3 has a lot of issues...

Edited by Frosty555

Yeah /integrate is used with the SP3 installer to slipstream it into your source. nLite must use the same command but it tends to modify files here and there which I don't like.

As far as your problem, I would slipstream SP3 alone either with nLite or the /integrate switch and test it. If it works OK, then add the other stuff until the problem appears. Make sure to always start with a clean source.

Yeah thats a lot of bonus steps.

-I take a clean SP2 source.

-run Sp3.exe /integrate

-run WMP11.exe /Q and KB95154.exe /quiet /norestart from the runonceex.

Edited by iamtheky

Do not use RyanVM Integrator. Use nLite only, it can do everything as that integrator and you won't get advanced inf installation. Combination of different tools is not recommended. Also, if you copy main executable of WMP11 Slipstreamer into nLite folder, then you can use nLite to integrate WMP11 and it's updates. And, it is recommended that you do everything in one season, do not use nLite or some other tool more then once on some files. If you make a mistake in process, it is recommended to start from begin with fresh XP files.

Cheers ;)

Yup you guys were right.

Redid it using nLite to integrate RyanVM's packs, and I put the WMP11 stuff into a batch file in runonce, and everything went smoothly.

I'll edit the original post to reflect the process..

• 4 months later...
... I regularly use slipstreamed discs to make the install process faster when I reformat client computers...

Please read the "nLite-licence" and make you sure you don`t use nLite against licence.

LICENSE AGREEMENT:

Your use of nLite is governed by the following conditions. Please read this information carefully before using nLite. By using it you are agreeing to the following conditions:

1. nLite is freeware and can be freely used for any personal non-commercial purposes, subject to the following restrictions.

2. nLite can only be distributed electronically through the official host www.nliteos.com.

3. nLite is supplied "as-is". The author assumes no liability for damages, direct or consequential, which may result from the use of nLite.

4. Import Restrictions. International users also check any import restrictions that your government may impose. Reread eula.txt in your Windows\System32 folder.

5. nLite is free for personal use only, you cannot use it for any company or business purposes at this time.

6. MCDBNET2.dll is registered on me (the nLite author) with the royalty-free license and can be distributed only bundled with nLite.

7. nLite is a copyrighted material of Dino Nuhagic aka nuhi. You may not decompile, disassemble or otherwise reverse engineer this product. You may not include the parts of nLite in your software without the author's permission. You may not alter or modify nLite in any way or create a new installer for it.

Copyright © 2004-2008, Dino Nuhagic (nuhi)