Small problem: MS Word and Firefox

paullyboy

When I try to open a Word(2002) document with Firefox, it starts opening new tab after new tab, and never actually opens the document. It might open 2-3 new tabs per second across the top of the page. It looks like those old theater marquees where the lights chase each other. They won't stop till red boxed or a call to Task Manager. Word opens fine with IE and opens/works properly as a word processor. I just ran the latest Firefox update and it didn't help. Somewhere I must have a setting that needs a-fixin'. Thanks in advance.

Best, Paul

Just in case I misunderstand you: Firefox does not open or read Word documents, it will download them and then launch Word.

What version of Firefox are you using? On the menubar select Help then About.

Also are any Extensions installed?

Thanks for the replies.

Just in case I misunderstand you: Firefox does not open or read Word documents, it will download them and then launch Word.

What version of Firefox are you using? On the menubar select Help then About.

Also are any Extensions installed?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Right. The only time I'd 'display' a Word doc by opening it with IE or FF is to use active text links to open a website from a document list.

Here's the full listing from About FF: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10.

IOW, I'm using FF ver 3.0.10. Not sure what is meant by extentions, other than file type extentions.

Fact is, I have exactly the same setup on a 2nd emergency replacement internal main drive, and FF and Word play nice with that drive installed. Short of reinstalling Word and FF, I thought there might be a piece of the puzzle that I'm missing.

Best, Paul

So the problem is you click on a hyperlink in a word file and multiple tabs open?

Or you click on a link to a doc(x) file within a webpage and multiple tabs open?

3.0.10 is the current Firefox version so that's good.

Extensions are accessed through the Menu Bar > Tools > Addons.

You can also check how Firefox handles file formats in Menu Bar > Tools > Options > Applications.

Thanks for the reply.

So the problem is you click on a hyperlink in a word file and multiple tabs open?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Never got that far. If a Word doc is set to "Open With" IE, it does so. It's not editable, but

hyperlinks are accessible and work. With FF, it never opens, just the endless chorus line of

'untitled' tabs dancing across the top of the screen. It's a loop of some kind.

FFproblemSM.jpg

Or you click on a link to a doc(x) file within a webpage and multiple tabs open?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Not quite, but I've had it do this when I hit the 'wrong' hyperlink. It starts the routine again, only

at the bottom of the screen. This one is almost impossible to stop. Takes 'task manager' a good

10 minutes to close every opened link and reset.

Between the 2 drives mentioned above(one with problem, one without), they list exactly the same

extentions.

Best, Paul