Keeping the red rings at bay

hawkecho125

i made this post as i saw a mod for an xbox360 the other day. They've been round for a while now, its a little snap on device that plugs into the xbox's power input, and covers the rear fan vents with 3 supposedly faster moving fans covering the vented area.

it discounted to $15, even at that price, is it really worth buying? or would it end up being a useless lump on the back of my elite...

Sounds like a notebook cooler...

Actually, they're made specifically for the 360 (they're commonly referred to as intercoolers, usually made by nyko). I heard from various people that they work pretty good and have decent airflow (3 extra fans, over the one inside it), and lowers the temps half-decently. As for the price, cheap fans usually work just fine (as in, $3 fans work just fine), but they just don't tend to have an incredible airflow/not always a great static pressure/not always real silent/not always durable. At $15 it's not much of a bargain though, I've seen them locally for like $20 before. No idea what they're like noise-wise, nor if the fans die in a year or whatever else as I don't have a 360 (I might buy one sometime though). Would I recommend one? Probably not!

The intercooler that snaps on the back is a hassle. The connection is a passthrough from the power cable so becomes loose with any amount of use. I recommend the following styles as they use the usb and seem to do a better job. I switched back when i was playing oblivion fairly heavily and was still worried about the heat. The model I have has five plain white slots for 5 games on each side, but that must be old because they are all shiny now.

edit: i suppose you could use both. I was happy to get rid of it and not have the occasional inconvenience of the cord weighing down the intercooler and pulling just enough out of the slot to power down the machine mid-game.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Fan-Stand/dp/B000BDHBDK

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Elite-Cooli...p_ob_vg_image_2

Edited by iamtheky

Hey DC!

I recommend not buying it unless you know it will help cool the Xbox a lot better than usual. As your Xbox is one of the newer revisions (with the 65nm CPU and if your lucky a 65nm GPU as well), then so long as you keep the vents uncovered and it is sitting in a dry spot out of the sun then I reckon it should be fine with the stock fans.

EDIT: Definately read the link CoffeeFiend had at the end of his post...very interesting. Plus it will make your Xbox louder than it already is (they are already loud enough!)

Edited by Zenskas

Thanks people. ill chenk the links after this post.

RRP was 30 AU$, so it was half price. I checked the other day and saw two fans in the back of my console, it confuses me and others that so many say its just a single fan setup. I probably need not worry me so much as i place the console and powerbrick in an open environment. btw, i've seen the sort of setup before, from memory it was a verticle stand, which id have to give a miss. I keep mine horizontal, so i dont knock it over by accident (or on purpose :whistle: ).