HELP! No Install disks For Operating System

Chef21613

Ok so i'm a chef and not a computer pro... However I am familiar with computers and their software. I have recently received a computer from a friend of mine and re-installed several components. I am currently trying to re image the hard drive and put the operating system on it. So here is the problem. Now that I have removed everything from the hard drive and am preparing the install i cannot locate the windows install disk that came with it and am completely stuck. Does anyone here or anywhere know of anything i can do to avoid spending $125.00 purchasing a new copy of windows xp?

Thank You in advance,

Mark

P.S. Please keep in mind that i am in fact a novice user.

Edited by Chef21613

Ok so i'm a chef and not a computer pro... However I am familiar with computers and their software. I have recently received a computer from a friend of mine and re-installed several components. I am currently trying to re image the hard drive and put the operating system on it. So here is the problem. Now that I have removed everything from the hard drive and am preparing the install i cannot locate the windows install disk that came with it and am completely stuck. Does anyone here or anywhere know of anything i can do to avoid spending $125.00 purchasing a new copy of windows xp?

Thank You in advance,

Mark

P.S. Please keep in mind that i am in fact a novice user.

Ask your friend if he/she has the original install disk? :} Is there an I386 folder in your C:\ drive?

Also...

12. Very often we see meaningless subjects in topic title. They give no clue of what the posts are all about. For example:

- Oh no!

- Help

- I'm mad

- Please help

- Question

- I need your help

- Hmmmm ....

This should be avoided. Users should enter something more specific in topic title so that it is easier for others to help.

A few good examples:

- Strange problem with DirectX9b redist

- RunOnceEx install problem (double installation)

- Change Internet Explorer's Icon back to default

If its a Dell computer you can goto support.dell.com and chat with one of their support reps. Tell them you need a new disk sent out and they will express mail it to you. I just did this last week and I got my disk the next day via FedEx. I'm sure that other mfg do it too, but Dell is the only one I know for sure.

If you can't get a disk from the mfg, see if anyone you know has the same brand computer and use their XP disk (as long as you have the product key sticker still on the machine). Doing this would be just like you had your own disk and usually you don't have to put in the product key or even activate it.

If all else fails, you have the option of putting Linux on it. Ubuntu is a great one......or you can do Kubuntu (a little more like the XP enviroment).

I wouldn't try messing around with activation cracks in XP though, it always leads to trouble lol

I wouldn't try messing around with activation cracks in XP though, it always leads to trouble lol

And it also goes against our forum rules. ;)

Obviously it goes against forum rules.

Even if it didn't, I still wouldn't reccomend it. I went through loops with Microsoft on a copy of XP (it was a real legit copy too) that wouldn't activate. I tried to spoof the activation and it just led to all sorts of h*ll