Stripped / Tiny Nvidia driver?

paxophobe

Hi, I have been scouring trying to find a "lite" Nvidia driver. I have seen custom drivers optimized for gamers. I have yet to find a repackaged Nvidia driver that has everything but the driver and the control panel ripped out of it. Does such a thing exist?

Thank you,

Pax

• 2 weeks later...
Took my Vista nvidia down from 129 megs to 47 megs

As for xp it went from 31.7 to 8.02 megs!

Have you had any success with nVidia's newest driver release (185.85) and integrating with nLite or using the method you described above? I've been very pleased with nVidia's drivers up until this latest release. I doesn't play well with nLite like previous version did.

TommyK, there are several posts about nVidia's 185.85 release. They made some change and it no longer integrates in nLite. Please do a search to see the threads. Enjoy, John.

Thanks, JohnC, for the reply. I've read most of the posts but thought there might be a 'real' solution by now. I have tried the editing the .inf, as suggested here, following by creating a separate addon for installation of the control panel and the integration appeared to work fine - the control panel integration seemed to work as well (XPx86 SP3). However, I'm having occasional BSOD's that I suspect may be related to the mods I've made so I was hoping there might be a better solution out there. If not, I may just go back to 182.50 which seemed to work fine.

I tried this as well...

When windows started, I got an error dialog box...

Something related to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup" not being able to start.

I didn't take a screenshot, though =/

I would have liked to use this, but I wound up just reverting back to the vanilla.

Ideally I'd like to delete Nview and CUDA and the nvidia service plus whatever other little things from the driver all together. I just have a real cheapo card and I don't like that all this stuff gets installed when all I need is a basic video driver. ATI has a basic driver which is around 15megs which I kind of miss =)

I also tried to compress my printer driver and got some other error when I tried to install that, too. So, I really need to come back to this at some point and try and get it all working correctly for me.

Well, I think I figured it out. I first used driver compressor.... then, I commented some stuff out the inf and viola, now only 3 things get installed. heh. Pray for me because Ive never really messed with an inf before but I Think it's okay ....

stuff:

Here is the INF...

http://codepad.org/wx7rM2EU

shot of 4mb folder size ...

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/4698/oneykk.png

shot of device manager

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/8963/devman.png

=P