Integration of SP 1 & 2 into Vista Image

ner

I found this on another website and i followed it, and it works 100%... did it for SP1 and then for SP2...

:thumbup

1.Prepare another hard disk or a drive partition (Guide: Change size of existing partition in Vista).

2.Install Windows Vista RTM to the secondary partition or drive (not the main boot or system partition). The primary reason for installing a new copy of Vista in another partition or drive is to ensure that no boot associated files of that computer related to BCD and boot.ini being part of the final Vista DVD image with SP1 integrated.

3.After installation finished, Windows Vista will boot into Out of the Box Experience (OOBE), where users will come to the part after setup that requires users to set up his or her user name, password, general settings and etc. Once in the OOBE phase, type Ctrl-Shift-F3 to enter Audit mode.

4.The system will reboot into Audit mode, and a SysPrep window will pop up and show. Do not close the SysPrep window.

5.Run the Vista SP1 setup installer (e.g. Windows6.0-KB936330-X86-wave0.exe, Windows6.0-KB936330-X64-wave0.exe or Windows6.0-KB936330-X86(x64)-wave0.exe), and let the service pack installation completes.

6.Optionally, users can run a new tool comes with SP1 called Vsp1cln.exe to remove older versions of components that have been upgraded to new versions in SP1 to save disk space. To remove these older RTM files, simply run Vsp1cln.exe via Winkey+R (Run command) or via the command prompt after SP1 is installed.

7.After the completion of SP1 service pack, the users will come back at the main Vista desktop with the SysPrep window open. At the SysPrep selection dialog, select OOBE, Generalize, and then Shut Down the system.

8.Boot the system into a WinPE disk or another OS install (i.e. Windows XP). Do NOT boot back into Vista.

9.Run the following imagex command (imagex can be download here or found in WAIK). Note that GimageX (a gui front-end for imagex) is not supported.

imagex /compress maximum /flags "Ultimate" /capture d: c:\install.wim "Windows Vista Ultimate"

where d: is the drive Vista is installed on and c:\install.wim is the location to store the new install.wim. Replace “Ultimate” after the /flags switch with whatever edition of Vista installed (supported flags are HomeBasic, HomePremium, Starter, Ultimate, Enterprise, ServerDatacenter, ServerEnterprise and ServerStandardand, all no space between words) to slipstream SP1, and also the drive letter of where Vista is installed and location to save the generated install.wim.

10.Once the image has been built, replace the old install.wim in the Vista RTM ISO in \Sources\ with the newly created install.wim using a registered version of UltraISO (Version 8.0 or higher). Save the ISO and you’re done.

You can also rebuild the ISO using vLite by extracting the contents of the Vista RTM ISO to a temporary directory, replacing the install.wim and using vLite’s Vista Burning/ISO creation features. One can also use vLite to remove unwanted features in Vista SP1.

Note that the whole process above is to slipstream SP1 into a single edition of Vista. To integrate SP1 into all the editions of Vista, repeat steps above for each edition and use the imagex /append function to build an install.wim that contains all the editions of Vista, and then replace the original install.wim with install.wim with all editions or editions required in the RTM ISO image as per last 2 steps.

Link to website http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/02/15/h...dows-vista-rtm/

Edited by ner

• 2 weeks later...

Can I do this with the old windows being vista home premium and the "new" being WIndows vista ultimate?? Or does it have to be Winxp or before? John

• 2 months later...

What bothers me is that fact that this is the best way they can come up with. It's essentially a hack!! I've been playing around with the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit and the Deployment Workbench has a way to install updates, service-packs, language-packs, et cetera during the deployment and SP2 bombs out. It's like we've gone a step backwards with this stuff. I've been doing slipstreams since Win2K and it has never been this hard.... :blink:

08-11-09

1324 EDT

the point is that the component which is required for installing updates, servicepacks and changing features has a limitation which doesn't allow you the slipstream ServicePacks. I've used vLite to integrate the Sp1 into a RTM DVd and next Win Integrator to sliptream Sp2 into the image and this damages the Image. When you install the slipstreamed Image it will fail reboot after the OOBE phase and will fail to boot after this reboot. That's why MS disabled sliptreaming of servicepacks in NT6.x (Vista, Win7)

• 3 weeks later...
the point is that the component which is required for installing updates, servicepacks and changing features has a limitation which doesn't allow you the slipstream ServicePacks. I've used vLite to integrate the Sp1 into a RTM DVd and next Win Integrator to sliptream Sp2 into the image and this damages the Image. When you install the slipstreamed Image it will fail reboot after the OOBE phase and will fail to boot after this reboot. That's why MS disabled sliptreaming of servicepacks in NT6.x (Vista, Win7)

What is the name of the component that has the limitation? Perhaps there is a free open source one that

overcomes this limitation.

:rolleyes:

Edited by mikesw

What is the name of the component that has the limiation? Perhaps there is a free open source one that

overcomes this limitation.

:rolleyes:

It's the Windows servicing engine. No, there's no open source version of the servicing and packaging engine for Windows binaries.

• 3 weeks later...

@trashy

do you see any error message?

It's the Windows servicing engine. No, there's no open source version of the servicing and packaging engine for Windows binaries.

cluberti is right. The trusted installer is the part which has the limitation. It thinks that the mounted files are in use and so a lot of packages are still in pending stage. When you now install the Sp2 into the Sp1 slipstreamed image, the servicing stack comes out of order and deletes some important files and you can't boot the slipstreamed image.

THIS ALSO APPLIES TO WINDOWS 7 AND IS NOT FIXED!