Services

Jiggers

I have two questions on services.

1 - If a service is set to Manual and is never running is there any performance increase if the service is Disabled instead of leaving it on Manual?

2 - If a service is set to Manual and is always running is there any performance increase if the service is Automatic instead of leaving it on Manual?

Thank

1. Not a measurable one. I would disable only those that:

a. I'm absolutely positively sure I don't want to be running on My Computer. :sneaky:

b. I'm absolutely positively sure wouldn't render My Computer unbootable. :angry:

2. Maybe: if another service depends on it (and that's who starts it anyway). The other service would keep waiting for it. Check dependencies (and you could sometimes fake them to make one service start sooner; I forgot where I read that, so no link, sorry).

GL

One of the best guides on "services", what you can safely set to "disabled", "manual" , service "dependencies"

and so on can be found at BlackViper.Com. They are very detailed guides, and come in a few flavors - "default",

"safe", "tweaked", and "bare bones". One issue he covers is that of memory use for different settings.

I have been using his guides for both 2000 and XP and find them very useful - have a look if interested. I believe

the guides are now in pdf format and can be downloaded.

Mike

I have two questions on services.

1 - If a service is set to Manual and is never running is there any performance increase if the service is Disabled instead of leaving it on Manual?

2 - If a service is set to Manual and is always running is there any performance increase if the service is Automatic instead of leaving it on Manual?

Thank

No, and no.