Visual patch for volume control (SndVol32)

I really find it confusing why the volume control uses checkboxes when setting up the recording device, because you can only select one.

This patched volume control has some code used for the about dialog stripped (No more special icon or title) and adds code to patch the button style.

based on SndVol32.exe 4.10.1998 from Windows 98

EDIT:

Screenshot:

sndvol32_0511.png

Download:

(see post below for updated version)

EDIT:

... there can be multiple inputs selected, where the hardware allows (built-in hardware mixer).

I'm not sure any soundcard supporting hardware mixing for input will work on Windows 98; You should not replace your Sndvol32.exe if your soundcard supports this feature

Edited by Controller

• 2 weeks later...

Guest msstick

Sndvol32.exe (4.10.2005, eng).zip

INSTALL: copy and replace Sndvol32.exe to Windows directory.

Sndvol32.exe (4.10.2005, eng).zip

INSTALL: copy and replace Sndvol32.exe to Windows directory.

Right... added that too, the version I typically use does not have those icons and I didn't ever look that close.

Btw, your file seems to be identical with the win98 one, except for the updated file checksume and modifications/alignments to the resource/relocation section, so guess you just changed version number? If the icon is the only thing changed, it affects pretty much bytes...

Changelog:

0511a - Also fixed icon resource 302, as posted on msfn by msstick

(Screenshot not updated so)

Guest msstick

1. Sndvol32.exe 4.10.2008 NLITE VERSION, FOR PEOPLE WHAT THEY NOT PREFERE SPAM (64kb!!!, file works faster and requires memory less, newest icons)

2. BONUS: Newest graphic scheme 31.05.09!!! (right click and install).

Poor guys, I know that you are not happy, because you know, that you will never make better than we. We are just kids... You should to help us, not fight with us. Shame.

1. Sndvol32.exe 4.10.2008 NLITE VERSION, FOR PEOPLE WHAT THEY NOT PREFERE SPAM (64kb!!!, file works faster and requires memory less, newest icons)

Stripping resources and relocation sections and comparing, there is are no differences exe except the header changed by resource editing, so its just original win98 with modified resources.

As such, you could use my sndvol32 as base for your resource tuning, as my version uses radio buttons for record control (done using assembly and no resource tuning at all). That is because you can choose ONE recording device only, so it should be radio buttons instead of checkboxes.

You save some bytes by removing icon groups 303 and 304, which seems to be unused by sndvol32.exe itself (not used in any dialog, and only icon group used by code is 300). Saves a few bytes, but if you really care about, remove all icons from the dialogs, make the sliders smaller, remove DS_CONTEXTHELP flags from dialogs and the F1 accelerator (and maybe remove support for small controls so you can delete more resources and the remaining accelerator)... or even remove all icons and the version resource itself... got some more byte saving at hand but not worth the work and cannot be done hacking resources.

Shame

Guest msstick

Stripping resources and relocation sections and comparing, there is are no differences exe except the header changed by resource editing, so its just original win98 with modified resources.

As such, you could use my sndvol32 as base for your resource tuning, as my version uses radio buttons for record control (done using assembly and no resource tuning at all). That is because you can choose ONE recording device only, so it should be radio buttons instead of checkboxes.

You save some bytes by removing icon groups 303 and 304, which seems to be unused by sndvol32.exe itself (not used in any dialog, and only icon group used by code is 300). Saves a few bytes, but if you really care about, remove all icons from the dialogs, make the sliders smaller, remove DS_CONTEXTHELP flags from dialogs and the F1 accelerator (and maybe remove support for small controls so you can delete more resources and the remaining accelerator)... or even remove all icons and the version resource itself... got some more byte saving at hand but not worth the work and cannot be done hacking resources.

Shame

1. Try to refer what you write in your first post = Visual patch for volume control (SndVol32).

2. Why radiobuttons? For who? It's wrong. Some people may records from many sources.

3. Systray.exe contents removed icons, the same icons. Windows98(SE) uses these icons from Systray.exe, not from Sndvol32.exe.

4. You will see, people will be interested my patch, not your(s).

5. Provocations, provocations... for banning.

Shame

Edited by msstick

1. Try to refer what you write in your first post = Visual patch for volume control (SndVol32).
Maybe not the best title, but it is visual, somehow, i guess
2. Why radiobuttons? For who? It's wrong. Some people may records from many sources.
I didn't encounter any soundcard providing such a feature... if you check any checkbox, the other checkbox gets unchecked. It acts like a radio button (you cannot check mulitple items), so it should look like a radio button!
1) Users could have both patches in one... if you'd use my patch as source or apply the patched bytes to yours.

2) If they don't appreciate my radio buttons they can edit resources on the original themselfs, or use your current one without the visual patch

3) If they find my radio button fix appealing but don't like your resource changes, they can use my patch, and maybe edit resources themselfs.

You know, it's easier to modify resources than working with assembly, thats why I left the resources as much untouched as possible, and the icon was patched with ExeScope so no additional header or resource data where changed.

BTW, do you trust your resource editor? Some are known to do strange things on certain conditions, and most assume all sections following the resource section can be realigned freely, which may be dangerous using certain patched files like done with kernelex...

Guest msstick
Maybe not the best title, but it is visual, somehow, i guess
I didn't encounter any soundcard providing such a feature... if you check any checkbox, the other checkbox gets unchecked. It acts like a radio button (you cannot check mulitple items), so it should look like a radio button!
1) Users could have both patches in one... if you'd use my patch as source or apply the patched bytes to yours.

2) If they don't appreciate my radio buttons they can edit resources on the original themselfs, or use your current one without the visual patch

3) If they find my radio button fix appealing but don't like your resource changes, they can use my patch, and maybe edit resources themselfs.

You know, it's easier to modify resources than working with assembly, thats why I left the resources as much untouched as possible, and the icon was patched with ExeScope so no additional header or resource data where changed.

BTW, do you trust your resource editor? Some are known to do strange things on certain conditions, and most assume all sections following the resource section can be realigned freely, which may be dangerous using certain patched files like done with kernelex...

Yes, I trust my editor. I use many editors. I don't use Exescope, I don't prefere and don't use this editor. Sndvol32.exe is 100% the same file, when was before, without removed icons and changes in rc data (uploaded). In SP3 B3 is some resource editor, that was modified. It is not original editor (http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/). It is very strenght. Maybe Gape will explain why he modyfied original resource editor? Personally I don't like and use Resource Hacker - It may cause lose data in special cases. Maybe should be radiobutton, maybe Microsoft has done intentionally to make some gate to records from many sources. Is something wrong with my file (virus)?

5. Provocations, provocations... for banning.

1). I'm not interested in your crap... and last time I checked, I was a person...

2). At least you realize why you get smacked with the ol' BAN stick everytime you pop your head up here in the forums...

You really need to find somewhere else to peddle your lame "patches"...

1. Sndvol32.exe 4.10.2008 NLITE VERSION, FOR PEOPLE WHAT THEY NOT PREFERE SPAM (64kb!!!, file works faster and requires memory less, newest icons)...

...Poor guys, I know that you are not happy, because you know, that you will never make better than we. We are just kids... You should to help us, not fight with us. Shame.

What do you mean by nLite version? nLite IS NOT capable with 98 and EVERYONE knows that.

It is also very obvious that you are adolescent children from your posts and behavior.

I did try to help you several times by suggesting how to make a proper release post and also how to properly process your files. All i got from it was sh!t from you...

I can't wait until the authorities find you...

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

• 3 weeks later...

Controller, I'm afraid you are wrong in your assumption. For a long time, I myself wondered why there were checkboxes instead of radio buttons in the Recording panel. I recently stumbled into a couple soundcards that proved me why: there can be multiple inputs selected, where the hardware allows (built-in hardware mixer).

One of the cards is Avance Logic ALS4000, the other is some ESS model built into a Compaq Deskpro EN400. Few days ago I built myself a software VU-meter based on the BASS library which offers certain related device info, among which is the capability of supporting multiple inputs. To my wonder, both the above-mentioned cards appeared as multi-input capable, unlike the newer CMI8738 on my main machine. :realmad:

So it appears - at least this time :P - MS have been on the right side. Although after the discovery, I modified my little toy to display radio buttons for single-input cards and checkboxes for multi-input ones, but that's just perfectionism and too much spare time on my hands. :rolleyes:

Come to think of it, I may even devise a completely new sound panel, when I get in the mood to. Only thing is to find out which Windows API exactly can be used since I previously failed at employing the SetupDi* functions in setupapi.dll. :blushing: Or I may still rely on the BASS library. Dunno... time will tell. ;)