Laptop wont start past 'windows wasnt shut down properly' scre

I have a problem with my laptop and Im looking for some help. Im running Windows Xp media Centre Edition on a Sony Vaio. I'm not sure which version exactly but I have downloaded every Windows update as of last week. After downloading a file my antivirus software identified problems leading to me doing a sweep. When complete I had to restart, but doing so has left my laptop unable to boot up past the 'windows did not start properly' screen....

This is what appears when I switch it on:

'We apologize for the inconvenience but Windows did not start successfully. A recent software or hardware change may have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that have worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Restart button was pressed, or if you arent sure what caused the problem, choose start Windows normally.

Safe Mode

Safe Mode with Networking

Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

use the Up and Down arrows to move the highlight to your choice..

Seconds until windows starts: '

This screen is familiar as the one which appears after an unexpected reset, and so i didnt expect any problems.

However it goes to the Windows XP loading screen for a fraction of a second, gives me a half second Blue Screen of Death, and then restarts the cycle all over again. I have tried all of the available options in the list above and each gives this result. Ive also tried all the advanced options available by pressing the appropriate F key.

I dont have a recovery disc or a Windows disc of any kind, although I have a legitimate copy of windows and bought my laptop new from a trade retailer.

Pausing a video of the half second blue Screen of death gives this technical information at the bottom of the screen:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC00000025_0x000043CA... (periods added by me, its hard to make out the rest but i can try again if it is important!).

Im sure i need a disc to boot from and repair windows but have no experience in this area and dont have any discs to try at the moment. Would discs borrowed from a friend work, if so what kind.

Any ideas or help?

See if you can get your hands on a copy of ERD Commander 2005....its kinda hard to find a legit copy, but its an amazing piece of software. There are tons of tools in it that could help you out. There are others out there that do the same stuff, but I'm not sure the names of them since all I've really used is ERD Commander.

Windows can blue screen for a number of reasons, so for best results you need to tell us which error you're getting. If it's an "unmountable boot volume" error, you might be able to fix it by booting from a FreeDOS CD and running CHKDSK.

• 4 months later...

after your system goes through POST start pressing f8 this will give you the option to "disable automatic restart on system failure" which will leave the bsod up so you can get more info off of it. let us know if there is any specific text error (usually at the top of the screen) or any file error (usually listed towards the bottom of the screen).

edit: sorry I did not reailize how old this post was.

Edited by cmonkedo

• 12 years later...