I need advice on recordable media

VegesNerd

I just purchased a Sony set top DVD-VCR combo so I can archive some of my VHS tapes to DVD.

I have no idea what type of recordable media will give me the best results.

Below is a list of the media I copied from the Sony spec. sheet.

Will someone please advise me as to what these various media can and can not do?

Thank you for any info you can give me.

Playable Media CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-RAM, SVCD, DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD, CD, Video CD, DVD+R DL

Recordable Media DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD+R DL

A model number might help in getting detailed answers. It would seem that if your unit can record to DVD,

ie: Recordable Media, it would also record to CD R/RW but you don't list it so...

Based on what you show, your device can playback the formats under Playable Media, as well, record to

the media formats listed Recordable Media. If your device in fact does record, no mention of speeds 4x, 8x

etc. Most all my problems have come from burning too fast, even when the media can write at the given

speed, I prefer to write at slower speeds - JMO here.

The Write Once / Multiple Times is self explanatory. With Dual Layer discs you can record twice as much

data. The (-) vs (+) is unimportant in my opinion. The quality issue will matter most when you decide on

compression formats, as well the quality of the source ie: your vhs tapes. I would advise getting the source

to your hard drive for editing - you don't want to play your source more than you need to - vhs degrades

with each playback.

-+R -> Write Once

-+RW -> Write Multiple Times (re writable)

DL -> Dual Layer

Note: When you buy media, make sure you match the write speeds of your media to the write speeds of

the device ie: -R @ 8X, -RW @ 4X.

I am partial to Taiyo Yuden media but there are many good brands, as well bad. Don't be cheap here. This is

a start and I'm sure others will have an opinion.

I'm not sure how deep you want to go, but maybe some advice on archiving your vhs tapes will help, I like

VideoHelp.Com.

Mike

DVD-R are superior for DVD movies but if it's larger than ~4.7gb, you'll need to go to DVD+R DL. I'd just go with DVD-R (less being available now for some reason as opposed to DVD+R) and record just the single movies (i.e. not the intro junk and if multiple movies per VCR break them up). Chances are the recorder "burns" at the standard 2.5x (DVD) speed (check that in the specs).

my 2cents and widdle knowledge...

(forgot to mention - the RW's may be better in case one messes up during burn; you can always "clone" it on your PC to R's. get a couple of R's to test with before spending bucks. -RW's if possible)

Edited by submix8c

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for your advice.

The unit I bought is a SONY RDR-VX535 which up-converts to 1080p. So burning a DVD from VHS and then playing it should increase the video resolution to an acceptable level for viewing on my 52" T.V.

As you can imagine, watching VHS tapes at their native resolution on this T.V. just doesn't cut it, especially now that I've been spoiled with DIRECTV's H.D. DVR.

Gary