Creating MSI's aimed at windows 7

eyeball

Hi everyone,

For a long time i have used WinInstall LE whenever i wanted to create an MSI file. However it doesnt seem to work with windows 7. Does anyone know a freeware MSI creator that works with Win 7?

Thank you

EDIT: Ignore this post, after a long time searching i just tried compatability mode for XP SP2 and it works, lol dont know why i didnt try that earlier... oh well :)

Edited by eyeball

You should try Caphyon Advanced Installer. It is free for simple projects and works great.

I use the Progessional version and all my custom MSI's work just fine with Windows 7 RC.

Hey guys thanks for the replies :)

I was having issues with WinInstall LE and havent gotten around to troubleshooting them yet. I will try both of the ones you mentioned

Thanks a lot for the help!

:thumbup

EDIT:

I have just tried advanced installer, using a clean Image. I ran everything over the network, installed the app, built the MSI and tried to install it but i get what i was getting with WinInstall LE....

It seems to be having trouble accessing the C:\windows\WinSXS folder, i checked the permissions and only the trusted installer service has access to this directory, not even the system account has access. Has anyone else had this?

In the mean time im going to try packaging a much simpler application and see if that gives me any trouble.

Thank you

EDIT 2:

I repacked VLC fine, so thanks for the recommendation elajua :)

The app that failed earlier on the WinSXS folder was avira antivirus, Am i right in assuming that i wont ever be able to package this or similar apps because of this folder and its ACL ?

Thanks

Edited by eyeball