Networking Windows x64 and x86 Problem

spacesurfer

I have RC x64 installed on my desktop and x86 installed on my laptop. I also have build 7057 on an x86 VM on by x64 desktop.

I have enabled "user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers" as this is the way in vista and xp on of these machines because I share more than documents, music, and videos.

Problem: I can't access my laptop (x86) shared folders from by desktop (x64). I can see the folders I'm sharing but clicking on them says I don't have permission to view them, although I have given the permission to do so.

Weird thing is I can see these laptop folders from the x86 virtual machine, but not the x64 desktop.

Also, I can access the x64 shared folders on the desktop from both the VM and the laptop.

What gives? Why am I not able to see my laptop shared folders from my desktop. This is driving me crazy. I've tried everything.

Pinging the computers work.

I was having a lot of troubles accessing my network. No problem going out from W7, but no fun trying to get in. I finally set sharing on all drives for NETWORK with full access, and it works both ways. I did find that after making any changes in network settings, I had to go into the machine with XP (XP64 actually), and redo the "Network ID" each time, otherwise, it won't recognize shared W7 drives...You'll get the "network path not found", or some other irritating message. If you're using the Agnitum beta, you'll need to set your Internet Protocol on the W7 machine to "obtain an IP address automatically". W7 firewall is broken down to 3 sections too, (just to make things easier, of course) Domain, Public, and Private--some settings act like they overlap, so check there too. If still no fun, go into the "Security" setting on your drives--it can be set for NETWORK there too.

Cluberti, I'll have to do a network trace but as of yet I don't know how. I'll have to figure out how to do it and what it means.

Unfortunately, I'm having to use W7 firewall and it's too dam* complicated for me. Seriously, I complicated could they have made it for a home user? However, I do believe it's not a firewall issue since I haven't tweaked the firewall on any of the machines. All are set to home network type.

The "Network ID" didn't work. I clicked on it and I chose to make it part of my home network, then I renamed my workgroup and restarted and still no go.

Here's some more info that I forgot to mention in OP: I can see the "Users" folder and access my profile folder in the "Users" folder as this folder is part of the HomeGroup.

However, clicking on the non-profile folders is what I can't access, although they show up in Network.

Cluberti, I'll have to do a network trace but as of yet I don't know how. I'll have to figure out how to do it and what it means.
Win7 makes this REALLY easy:

1. open elevated command prompt
  2. netsh trace start scenario=FileSharing capture=yes
  3. repro
  4. netsh trace stop

Share the generated .cab file created somewhere. This will have event log data for the File Sharing components on your box that happened during the duration of the trace, and also a network capture that can be viewed in netmon. Pretty cool stuff, actually. If you want to see all the "scenarios" you can trace, run netsh trace show providers (make sure you either have a long buffer in your cmd prompt, our output to a file - this can be a REALLY long list).

Finally, nailed this problem. Although I don't understand the exact problem, it has to do with restricted profile folders.

I was trying to share a folder called "Software". I may have restricted this folder in the past just to my profile only; but I'm not certain if I did do that. Anyway, I created another folder and copied the contents of "Software" to this new folder and now I can see the contents.

The other folder I was trying to share is "Shared Folder" and I was changing the "Download" folder to point to this folder and after many installs of different builds, it kept asking me for permission to access the folder each time I did a fresh install.