installing non executing program

b-man

ah thank you 1 other thing since i dont need it to run anything to install can i use the setup proram (run before or run after) extraction to run a reg file to associate a filetype with it

To import registry files silently, use the command "regedit /S filename".

Anyway, for these kind of things, I prefer an application called "Advanced Installer". It's freeware for simple projects.

Btw, for making silent installers, then i would strongly recomend checking out the 7z SFX modified module(sticky thread on top of this forum)... It features a boatload of config options, including e.g. adding reg-entries without using REG-files, and running NT Command Processor commands without using NT Command Scripts etc... Just a tip for a more advanced solution, if you're serious about making silent installers, but if you're just into the easiest solution, then stick to WinRAR :)

thanks id like to learn the advanced way but at the moment im having enough trouble doing all these things the easy way lol so ill stick to the easy way for now

hard enough trying to find the easy way as some threads that should be sticky threads are lost through pages of junk

Maybe I am missing something. But why not just xcopy the files, then xcopy the shortcut (as it would need to be in the source, it would have to be made prior and edited to reflect proper deployment location of the .exe) to the desktop.

Its what I do for the portable suites.

Edited by iamtheky

Yes you can use runonce. Read the unattended guide, it's not difficult, keep an eye on Reference/Timeline section for easier understanding. This method is easier than making an addon for that kind of applications IMHO.

IMHO, then the nicest and cleanest method of installing apps without an installer, is by using an INF file, like e.g. this one for Foxit Reader:

[Version]
Signature=$Windows NT$

[DefaultInstall]
CopyFiles=copyfiles
AddReg=addreg
UpdateInis=updateinis
RunPostSetupCommands=runpostsetupcommands:1

[DestinationDirs]
copyfiles=16422,Foxit Reader

[copyfiles]
Foxit Reader.exe
Foxit_JS_ExObjects.dll
fxdecod1.dll
js.dll

[addreg]
HKCU,"Software\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader\MainFrame","ShowEditorAd_908",0x0,"0"
HKCU,"Software\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader\MainFrame","ShowReaderAd_908",0x0,"0"
HKCU,"Software\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader\MainFrame","ShowTypewriterAd_908",0x0,"0"
HKCU,"Software\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader\MainFrame","ShowPOAd_908",0x0,"0"
HKCU,"Software\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader\MainFrame","ShowSDKAd_908",0x0,"0"

[updateinis]
setup.ini,progman.groups,,group1=%16409%
setup.ini,group1,,"Foxit Reader,""""""%16422%\Foxit Reader\Foxit Reader.exe""""""
setup.ini,progman.groups,,group2=%16410%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
setup.ini,group2,,"Foxit Reader,""""""%16422%\Foxit Reader\Foxit Reader.exe""""""

[runpostsetupcommands]
%16422%\Foxit Reader\Foxit Reader.exe -Register

This INF will make a folder in %programfiles% named 'Foxit Reader', copy the four program files over to that folder, make shortcuts on the desktop and in quick launch, add reg-entries for diabling adds, and registering file-associations.

All the 4 program files + the above INF should be in the same folder, but if wanting the 4 program files into a seperate folder for "cleanlines"(so it's an INF + a folder with the source files), then just change the 'copyfiles' section like this:

[copyfiles]
Foxit Reader.exe,files\Foxit Reader.exe
Foxit_JS_ExObjects.dll,files\Foxit_JS_ExObjects.dll
fxdecod1.dll,files\fxdecod1.dll
js.dll,files\js.dll

(No need for SourceDisksNames/SourceDisksFiles ;))

Note: The above is an Advanced INF and hence needs to be installed through advpack.dll:

rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection install.inf,,1

Edited by Martin H

Perhaps some would like the stand alone installable for their less technical people in their life. I forget which one but I THINK inno setup is also capable of creating add/remove program entries. Whichever system does it, I believe it is downloadable from source forge.

To import registry files silently, use the command "regedit /S filename".

Anyway, for these kind of things, I prefer an application called "Advanced Installer". It's freeware for simple projects.

I use the Professional (if Caphyon Advanced Installer is what you meant) version but for simple installers like freeware programs and portables, its simple install is free and it is great for creating MSI from scratch without any knowledge.

If you want to save space with big programs, try making admin installs (after you create your MSI installers) and then repackage them using 7-Zip.

WinRAR SFX files are great for quick installs too.