Missing setup.exe and autorun.inf

Sp0iLedBrAt

After an nLite session, I discovered that setup.exe and autorun.inf are not present anymore in the source folder. Could it be because I removed "Manual install and upgrade"? I think that is the only thing new in my sessions.

Thank you,

Sp0iLedBrAt

Thanks for the link, johnhc, this is a recent post and I remember reading it. However, what I don't understand (of course I could be wrong) is, won't I need at least autorun.inf or setup.exe to initialize the Windows CD when booting?

Thanks

Sp0iLedBrAt, I have not tried it - does not show up on XP 64 in nLite. But, apparently it is not needed when installing from a CD. Both of these files are Windows executables, so they must not be used at all in text mode. Give it a try and see what happens. Please let us know. Enjoy, John.

Well, I'll be damned!!! (Apologies, I had to write this)

johnhc, apparently you were right. I tested an ISO XP Pro SP3 with removed "Manual install and upgrade" on VirtualPC in both possible scenarios:

1. on an already installed XPSP3, and

2. on a brand new session.

In the first case, it booted without problem, recognized the previous version of Windows and offered the usual options; in the second case, again, it booted and offered the usual formating to NTFS etc.

Conclusion: success in both cases, leaving me startled as to the matter which file is used for booting. I'll have to get more info on this.

Regards,

Sp0iLedBrAt

i386\Setupldr.bin and i386\bootfix.bin (shows "press any key.." if there's already a bootable xp installation on disk). And it should launch i386\winnt.exe.

Agreed, I downloaded a boot "kit" yesterday which contained the above mentioned files and one more: win51.