System won't wake from sleep.

MarkJohnson

I have an emachine of my sister's and it won't wake up from sleep mode. I have been able to clear cmos in the past, but this time it won't recover at all. I just get a light and drives spinning, but it doesn't try to boot at all. I hit the power button and it shuts off immediately. I clear cmos, remove battery, and remove power cord for over half an hour and still no boot.

Is there a special trick I don't know about? I usually disable energy mode and screen saver and it usually keeps from going into sleep mode(except this last time I forgot.)

Thanks for any help

-=Mark=-

If you've removed the power cord and cleared the CMOS and the machine won't boot, it isn't a software problem. If the machine doesn't POST at all, are you hearing any beeping? If not, it could be a bad piece (or pieces) of hardware in the system causing the issue. A machine not POSTing at all is rarely a RAM problem, and is more likely a video card or CPU issue.

Do you have a spare video card you could use/borrow to place in the system and test? Avoiding going into sleep or rebooting is just delaying the inevitable hardware failure you're up against. When a machine won't boot after you pull the cord and clear the CMOS, you're way past software problems and well into failing hardware territory.

• 2 weeks later...

It's easy to remember the video card as being a problem and it certainly can be, but I've discovered that the Power Supply Unit (PSU) can also be a culprit and is related to video card.

If the mobo doesn't receive enough juice from the PSU, it will not come back on from sleep. I had a 20-pin PSU plugged into a 24-pin mobo. The extra 4 pins power the video card. Hence, everything turned on except the monitor.

I bought a new 24-pin PSU and voila - no more problems.

You might want to investigate if the wattage of your PSU and buy a good energy efficient one.

alokcomp...we still don't know if this is a problem with the HDD...

If it does not go past POST then it is unlikely to be a HDD related problem BUT:

MarkJohnson: Is the HDD in it a Seagate? If it is then try unplugging it then booting up. Sometimes the BIOS may need an update if it is not resuming from sleep properly. All just ideas though!

alokcomp...we still don't know if this is a problem with the HDD...

In fact, I don't see any logical reason to even think it's caused the HDD (much the inverse as it doesn't even POST), and there is no reason to believe he has a Seagate drive either. Not only it's a pretty extreme measure, but the lawsuit is for a totally unrelated problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for not posting back. I unplugged everything and no go. This time I unplugged the memory as well and it worked when I plugged it back in.

before, it wouldn't even try to post at all. It was a blank screen with lights on and fans spinning. nothing at all would come up. no beeps, flashing lights on the MB, KB, monitor, or anything else.

all is fine now and I disabled the screen saver and modified the power saving made to never turn off anything or sleep, hibernate, etc...

Thanks for all the help everyone

-=Mark=-

Edited by MarkJohnson