Whats the Best Anivirus these days...

Hi all,

Well time has come for me to wipe my hard drive and re-install my system, Now i have been using AVG Free for the past year or so and was just wondering what everone else was using... :rolleyes:

So Let me have the news on the best Free antivirus your using...

:thumbup

I go for avast since it can be totally silent to update. AntiVir has a rather annoying popup every update.
Tarun,

I let IE8 and Maxthon block all the popups so when Avira updates, it is the only popup of the day. I don't find it very annoying, once a day is acceptable. I've heard that Avast is also good, but I haven't tried it yet. Ner will have the last decision, and I guess he'll choose Avira!

That popup was very annoying for me because the computer I ran it on is now almost 9 years old and that popup would often freeze, not wanting to go away.

... if you don't want an anti-virus running all the time you might want to check this route out. I have no anti-virus running but I do have and use Multi Virus Cleaner 2009 on my computer. It is updated every few months or so and very good for checking downloaded files or whatever.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Multi Virus Cleaner 2009 - detects and removes major viruses and spyware - Last version : v9.0.1 - April 21th, 2009

Multi Virus Cleaner is a free, stand-alone utility used to detect and remove major viruses. It is not a substitute for full anti-virus protection, but rather a tool to assist administrators and users when cleaning infected systems.

Multi Virus Cleaner is regularly updated and can detect over 6,400 common viruses, worms, trojans and dialers (including all variants of the Sober, MyDoom and Bagle viruses).

The program boasts a fast, user-friendly scanner that requires minimal processing power and is an excellent choice for repairing a compromised system. The new 2009 version also detects and removes major spyware.

... http://www.viruskeeper.com/us/mvc.htm ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

... I also keep the ISO Kaspersky Rescue Disk handy if I ever would get a virus ... it seems to be updated on a regular basis.

... http://www.thefreecountry.com/security/ant...rescue-cd.shtml ......

... Kaspersky Rescue Disk (ISO) - ... http://downloads.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/RescueDisk/ ....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are very careful and use or have these 2 items available ... you will have a good setup and nothing running all the time using up resources, if that's important.

Edited by duffy98

That popup was very annoying for me because the computer I ran it on is now almost 9 years old and that popup would often freeze, not wanting to go away.
Then I am luckier than you! My computer is 4 years old, and I can close the popup without any problem. This desktop is a gift so I don't want to leave it at all.

Duffy98,

Thanks for the suggestion and the link. When I used AVG, I also used another antivirus program which used around 130 MB of memory at the same time. I stop them both to use Avira, which only uses around 10 MB of RAM. Now I am glad when the memory usage is always around 300 MB out of 1 GB. I'll try the virus cleaner you mentioned, but I think it'll find nothing!

It's also very annoying when you are playing a full screen game. Most will crash to the desktop.

I have hooked onto Panda's Cloud Antivirus.

If you are familiar with cloud computing, you know it is basically running software over the internet based on the internet so you don't have to install it on your machine. (Think Google Docs for example).

The Panda Cloud Antivirus uses their engine to scan your computer, however all updates are constantly updated as long as you are online. So, for example Avast would update once daily sometimes several times in outbreaks, but the Panda cloud is always updated as the definitions are retrieved realtime from their systems as I understand it. So, if they get a fix for a new virus out in the wild, you don't have to wait for the update from your vendor to download to the system, it is already there. (If that makes sense).

OK, so I just found the post that explains how it works on the link here. Best said by them. :)

I switched from Avast due to the level of protection. But that is my opinion and anyone can take it for what it's worth. ;)

Hey there, I have been using AVG Free for over a year now and have installed it on many other PC's which I have built for people. If you do not install link scanner, email scanner, and the plugin for MS office while installing AVG, plus do a few other things it can be very light weight too.

Right now the AVG services in task manager is using well under 5MB of RAM. You must cut out things like the tray icon and a few others but to do that just read page 50 of the Tweak Guides tweaking companion for Windows XP (I'm sure it has the same information as the tweak guide for Vista): http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html

EDIT: Fixed spelling mistakes.

Edited by Zenskas