By-passing admin password by hitting esc

LordFett

I was installing a program tonight (utorrent) and realized I was installing the old version and not the new one I'd just downloaded. When the screen came up to enter the admin password I hit escape figuring that would cancel install, it didn't... Installation finished as normal. Is this a fluke? Or is this a way around the password requirement?

I am using build 7100 x64 as a standard user. I have UAC set to the top level.

[edit]Just tried installing iTunes x64 and esc canceled installation[/edit]

Edited by LordFett

I was installing a program tonight (utorrent) and realized I was installing the old version and not the new one I'd just downloaded. When the screen came up to enter the admin password I hit escape figuring that would cancel install, it didn't... Installation finished as normal. Is this a fluke? Or is this a way around the password requirement?
The question is, did the installation actually *really* finish as normal? Bypassing the UAC prompt like that *cancels* whatever operation caused it to pop in the first place, but it wouldn't stop an installer that didn't, say, really actually need elevated permissions to install.

So, either the utorrent installer doesn't actually need to install to any location or perform any operations during install that require permissions above your current pseudo-admin permissions, or the installer really didn't actually finish and some portion of it failed. However, as you've found, hitting escape on the UAC dialog doesn't actually pass the "OK" down to the kernel to give the process a full admin token at all, it just dismisses the dialog (basically a "cancel" response).

Ok from what I can tell utorrent runs from the setup.exe even if you cancel the install. It doesn't install on the drive, but you can run it from the setup file. So it didn't install but I am able to run it ok.

you're in the admin group

I'm set as a standard user. How do I remove myself from the admin group?

Ok from what I can tell utorrent runs from the setup.exe even if you cancel the install. It doesn't install on the drive, but you can run it from the setup file. So it didn't install but I am able to run it ok.
you're in the admin group

I'm set as a standard user. How do I remove myself from the admin group?

The easiest way to do this and keep all your settings and files intact will be to create a "New Account"

by going to:

Control Panel\User Accounts\Manage Another Account\Create a New Account

Make that one an Admin, then go to:

Control Panel\User Accounts\Change Your Account Type

Change your account to "Standard User"

Hope it helps...

Then no, I am a standard user as I stated in my first post.

I misread your post, my apologies...now I don't know how to help. If you're a Standard user, you shouldn't be in the Admin group...makes sense to me, but I'm likely wrong. To check this however, go to Control Panel\Administrative Options\Computer Management\System Tools\Local Users and Groups\Groups, then remove yourself from "Administrators" and add yourself to "Users" (if not there already). Don't ask me what repercussions this could entail though, never done it.

I am listed in only the "users" group and not in admin. But from my testing it doesn't install the program, it just allows it to run from the .exe. Still troubling because I'm sure there are viruses that could do the same thing. And it wasn't your mistake about me being in the admin group neo. Someone else said I was after I said I was a standard user. I do appreciate your help in showing me how to check the groups.

Edited by LordFett

I am listed in only the "users" group and not in admin. But from my testing it doesn't install the program, it just allows it to run from the .exe. Still troubling because I'm sure there are viruses that could do the same thing. And it wasn't your mistake about me being in the admin group neo. Someone else said I was after I said I was a standard user. I do appreciate your help in showing me how to check the groups.

I only wish I could help more...but sadly I'm learning 7 myself, as I skipped Vista so I've been catching up... :wacko: