Autounattend.xml for Vista with SP2

I can't seem to get the Autounattend.xml file to work for the Vista with SP2 installer from MSDN (ie. Vista with SP2 slipstreamed from Microsoft, not via vLite). I've even tried it without vLite doing anything but just creating the xml file, and it's the exact same settings as my SP1 xml file, which works fine with the Vista with SP1 installer. Anybody know if I'm missing something here?

Here's my xml (deidentified). I'm running vLite on a Server 2003 SP2 machine with the WAIK for Vista SP1/Server 2008. I can also open the unattended file and the install.wim in Windows SIM (System Image Manager) just fine.

Autounattend.xml

• 2 weeks later...

So apparently it doesn't work if you are booting the installer from a USB drive. I just tried it with a DVD-RW and it works just fine. Thought I'd update this in case someone else runs into the same problem.

Only way I got it work from usb is to copy the install files to a seperate folder and boot into windows pe. From there I did setup /unattend:unattend.xml and then it reads the file. The thing is you have to disconnect and usb key after the reboot so it wont load the windows pe again. But you have to reconnect it once the install starts back on each reboot so it still can read the xml file. Otherwise parts get read and some parts dont.

• 3 weeks later...
Only way I got it work from usb is to copy the install files to a seperate folder and boot into windows pe. From there I did setup /unattend:unattend.xml and then it reads the file. The thing is you have to disconnect and usb key after the reboot so it wont load the windows pe again. But you have to reconnect it once the install starts back on each reboot so it still can read the xml file. Otherwise parts get read and some parts dont.

Dear all,

Can you please post the error you had.

My error is a bit strange and i am not sure if that is the problem.

Windows Could not parse or process unattend answer file for pass [specialize]. The settings specified in the answer file cannot be applied. The error was detected while processing settings for component [Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup].