Missing winnt32.exe

irha

I am a newbie with nLite and have this peculiar problems. I wanted to reduce the installation size like most and produced an iso that is about 147mb. My problem is that it didn't have the winnt32.exe or the root setup.exe. I can't install using a cd rom, so I had to copy the files over to an external drive and trying to install via BartPE. Did I check something that I shouldn't have for this to happen? As a workaround, I copied the full cd contents as well and during the initial options, I chose to copy the files from the nLite source rather the full source, but this caused the installer to prompt for missing files hundreds of times. I got past the missing file error dialogs reasonably quickly by keeping the Alt+S pressed, and it seems to go further and continue to install after a restart. The install might actually succeed now, which is good, but I would like to know if my nLite customization (such as registry tweaks) would have been preserved by using this method of copying files over (I think via the /makelocalresource option). If not, what is the best way to install the nLite build when the files need to be copied? I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

I'm not sure I understand your entire post but nlite will not remove winnt32.exe or setup.exe.

I would start over with a clean source as it sounds like you nlited the source twice. You should only nlite the source files one time. If it comes out wrong, delete it and start with a virgin source again.

I'm not sure I understand your entire post but nlite will not remove winnt32.exe or setup.exe.

I would start over with a clean source as it sounds like you nlited the source twice. You should only nlite the source files one time. If it comes out wrong, delete it and start with a virgin source again.

nlighting twice seems like a possibility, though I am not sure why that would end up removing these files, I will try starting over.

What about the option to copy source from flash drive instead of a cd? I can't create a cd out of the nlighted xp. After my last attempt finished, I noticed that at least some of my configuration got lost, eg., the program files and documents and settings location.

I just tried nliting again from a fresh source. The source had both setup.exe and winnt32.exe. Even while I was watching the processing, these two files were gone (I think as part of removing components). So, yes, nlite does remove these files. Please help identify the setting that would do this. If needed, I can post the session file later today. Please also help me understand why my settings didn't get preserved and how to get them to work when the files are copied over. Would copying the entire install to c: drive and avoid another copy help?

you have selected the option "Manual Install and Upgrade" from the Operating Systems Options.

This will remove winnt32.exe so that you cant install from inside windows. But you can boot from cd and install.

Fantastic, thanks a lot for pointing this out. I actually missed to see your response as you responded exactly at the same time as I did.

Is my understanding correct that unchecking this box only increases the size of the install source, not the final windows xp installation itself?