Jetico Personal Firewall problems

I must say that Jetico Personal Firewall is best Windows 98 firewall. With JPF users will never recieve malware, virus and similar. I am sure that somebody is now asking is this real ? answer is YES.

Around month ago I have installed Jetico Personal Firewall or better to say jpf2beta file on my PC with Windows 98 SE.

After instalation Jetico Personal Firewall has started to check my sistem. Result was been discovery of trojans. After question if I want to delete trojans and my answer Yes JPF has killed my internet connection. :realmad:

Only possible solution has been new instalation of Windows 98 SE.

Because of that I can only say that Jetico Personal Firewall is safest firewall for Windows 98. If you are not visiting web pages or recieving emails you will never recieve malware or virus from internet.

Maybe you could use some other software to search for ad/malware(which includes trojans) like Spybot, but still use your firewall software??

My first comment has been writen in sarcasm tone like warning to other Windows 98 users, but if we want to speak without sarcasm maybe Jetico Personal Firewall is very good under condition that user don't delete trojans.

We need "modern" firewalls which even today support Windows 98, and in theory Jetico Personal Firewall is possible answer, but let say I am afraid to try JPF again. Next on my list for testing is Outpost, but I will not test that until last days of May.

If I do not make mistake Spybot don't support any more Windows 98.

My OS is Windows 98 SE with last official and nonofficial updates

It is supported look at;

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html

And I have used the latest version on Windows 98 SE without any problems.

Yeah I agree it sux that there's kind of no "modern" security software on Windows 9x :no: Really sux

Edit: Oh wait I found that Symantecs Norton Internet Security 2005(2006 will install 2005) works on Windows 9x.

More info(2006): http://service1.symantec.com/support/nip.n...c=tranus_con_sl

More info(2005): http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.n...&view=docid

They are still being updated so you don't need to worry about that ;) (or I think so, at least 2006 is being updated and I think that definition updates can be used by pretty much all versions of Norton Internet Security or the "modern" ones)

Getting it shouldn't be a problem hehe :P

Finding it might shouldn't be a problem ;)

Edited by UltraO

We need "modern" firewalls which even today support Windows 98,

If "modern" firewall is referring to a security suite such as Comodo, that's the last thing 98 needs. Doesn't matter anyway since no one is going to make their product 9X compatible, with the possible exception of some Open Source project. Besides, we have all the security-ware we need to make a 9X system nearly bulletproof. See [9x/Me] Surviving Without a Virus Scanner. The thread title is somewhat misleading because the thread covers much more.

Rick

If I remember correctly, some of the early beta's for Jetico 2 still worked on 98. The present versions don't.

It's possible that the beta version mistakenly detected a 9X system file as a trojan, not taking into account that the 9X files are different than their NT counterparts. The vendor may have felt that fixing it wasn't worth the trouble for an unsupported OS.

Rick

Edited by herbalist