Windows7 x64 occasional hanging

iceangel89

Well, the problem with this dump is that it won't tell my WHY the HDD is pegged, but I can confirm it probably is. In looking at the dump, there were quite a few threads in the SYSTEM process (the kernel) that looked like this:

0: kd> k
*** Stack trace for last set context - .thread/.cxr resets it
Child-SP RetAddr Call Site
fffff880`02ffc910 fffff800`028ec6f9 nt!KiSwapContext+0x7a
fffff880`02ffca50 fffff800`028ef626 nt!KiCommitThreadWait+0x1b9
fffff880`02ffcae0 fffff880`05e6ae56 nt!KeDelayExecutionThread+0x186
fffff880`02ffcb50 fffff880`010790c3 aswMonFlt+0x3e56
fffff880`02ffcc70 fffff800`028ea744 fltmgr!FltpProcessGenericWorkItem+0x43
fffff880`02ffccb0 fffff800`02b6ae66 nt!ExpWorkerThread+0x11a
fffff880`02ffcd40 fffff800`02897a86 nt!PspSystemThreadStartup+0x5a
fffff880`02ffcd80 00000000`00000000 nt!KxStartSystemThread+0x16

// They are all waiting on a particular notification event:
0: kd> dt nt!_dispatcher_header fffff88002ffc808
+0x008 WaitListHead : _LIST_ENTRY [ 0x00000000`00000000 - 0x0 ]

Except it appears, as you can see above, that the wait block is empty, meaning the thread that created the notification event has either already signaled it, or is gone (crashed, closed, can't say, but it is probably gone). So I don't know specifically that the Avast filter driver is causing it (I expect to see a filter driver being called in an I/O thread, that is normal), but I would like to know if you can reproduce the issue without Avast installed on the system, as it's at least suspect at this point. You could also use process monitor to try and capture the spikes, although since they're intermittent that would probably be tedious and consume lots of disk space monitoring the system.

@cluberti

so do i uninstall avast! then try create a dump? hmm i try to look for a new AV 1st

Well, I'd say uninstall avast, reboot, and see if it recurs. If it does, don't get a dump - consider getting a process monitor log to run while you work, in the hopes it'll catch the offender when it happens again. I would, however, consider updating the Intel driver anyway, because it is a beta product and there are some things that the latest Intel driver addresses that may be pertinent to the behavior you are seeing. Sonic may be onto something with the driver issues.

hmm i used AVG now, and it stills happens... so ... using process monitor i can see the graph and what processes use how much resources "now". so when it hangs i dont think i can switch to process monitor so ... is there a process monitor log or something? because it might be too late to see what process is responsible after the hang ends.

and intel drivers? i dont see 1 for Windows 7. do i use the 1 for Vista? do i dl the Intel INF?

UPDATE:

Untitled-1-2.jpg

i just got another hang this time resource monitor says FireFox hangs everything else seems fine but i noticed something, u see the image, the arrow... when it hangs there is nothing in the Disk section of resource monitor ... everything else seems to be like inactive ... i expected a spike but all graphs see to be flat and low. after the hang everything then spikes

Edited by iceangel89

you can find latest ahci driver with typing "f6flpy6488" on intel website , download section ... 8.8 is the latest version at the moment ... I have updated mine using device manager with inf downloaded ... rebooted .. no hangs since ...

yes vista x64 drivers are compatible seven x64 (almost ...)

and I confirm it's solution.

i didnt install the floppy version ... hmm but seems like problem gone ... i think i have some "hangs" but maybe normal cos they are v short ... maybe i did something that takes up alot of RAM/CPU

thanks ... i guess its really HDD Drivers