MCE 2005 (2-Disc) automated DVD using nlite ?

rick456

Hello,

and thankyou for "nlite".

I have had great success using it in the past, to make my automated (with keys and driver .inf files) WinXP-Pro dvd.

However, I recently purchased an original (2-Disc) MCE 2005.

This version from Microsoft has its own original "key" including WinXP Pro (with SP2). I do NOT need WinXP pre-installed on my existing PC before I use this.

As you may well know, MCE2005 is basically just WinXP-Pro with the Media Center Edition and stuff for Tablet PC's...

Unfortunately, I have read conflicting advice on how to copy both CD's to a spare directory so as to properly use "nlite" afterwards to create the .iso image. ?

For example, some forums have said you have to pre-edit the %cd2name% entries in winnt.sif...? Others have said don't edit those files 'cause nlite would handle this....?

I apologize for this confusion.

Of course, eventually by using nlite, I would just like to incorprate both of these MCE2005 disc's, (including the key, and their respective driver's .inf files) into one automated DVD install.

Also, I'm not too worried about incorporating any "hotfixes", or any tweaks,.... for now, unless of course some are required.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind burnin' a few dvd coasters ;)

I'm just hoping you or someone might have already successfully

created an automated MCE2005 dvd using "nlite".

again, mucho thanks for nlite !

cheers.

Rick.

rick456, there are a number of posts about MCE here. Recently a poster reported that if you use nLite to copy your CD, after copying the first it will request the second. It is more or less automatic. You can give this a try or search these forums for the post. Enjoy, John.

rick456, there are a number of posts about MCE here. Recently a poster reported that if you use nLite to copy your CD, after copying the first it will request the second. It is more or less automatic. You can give this a try or search these forums for the post. Enjoy, John.

Hi John...

thanks for the reply, and yes the latest nlite did just that, CD1 + CD2 including the CD2's cmpments ...into in my c:\mce2005

-then I selected only "Unattended" and create bootable .iso dvd image portions of nlite.

- unfortunately now there is no Media centre components installed (no Green Button!). ???

-the txtsetup.sif file in my nlite modified "c:\mce2005\i386" is still showing the original labels such as %cd2name% -> \cmpnents (for 2nd CD)

but obvisouly it can't find the 2nd disc now to install them. ?

This what I was originally stating above. anywehere u look, its convoluted advice... no straight up way.

anyway Basically, the whole thing ended up a WinXP Pro with SP3.

You'd think those dimwits@micrsoft would just provide some straightforward instructions for "CD1 + CD2 = DVD" ?

;) -unless your bestbuy and needed to deploy 1000'$$$ of units.

I'll keep plugging at it though since nlite has been able make it unattended with SP3 so its definitely getting there slowly.

-thx again.

rick456, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. Enjoy, John.

the txtsetup.sif file in my nlite modified "c:\mce2005\i386" is still showing the original labels such as %cd2name% -> \cmpnents (for 2nd CD)

but obvisouly it can't find the 2nd disc now to install them.

I remembered something similar would happen to me when I created an MCE unattended... correct me, anybody, if I'm wrong - open 'txtsetup.sif' and locate all the entries pertaining to '%cd2name%' and rename to %cd1name%. The actual MC component should install now, give it a try, nothing to lose.

Yes, I had also tried in the past replacing all the pertinent "cd2..." labels to "cd..." in the txtsetup.sif file but the install complained horribly about other missing files...?

This puppy is more than meets the eye for me anyway.

Another thing is "...The short answer is that MCE2005 and SP3 do not mix. Microsoft should stop pushing the "update" to MCE users...."

according to http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums...34-15f3d5a0474a

AND,

so far, nlite does NOT fully integrate MCE2005 CD's into one. -don't get me wrong its definitely not nlite's fault at all.

This is M$ droppin' the ball on yet another of its OS's.

So My only gentle question now is :

"...so I guess NO ONE has really and successfully combined (original/retail/oem) MCE2005 CD1 + CD2 -> DVD,? - with "EXACTLY" the same stuff as if it was installed using your 2 MCE2005 discs. ???"

rick456, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. Enjoy, John.

Hi John, I've attached 2 lastsession.ini's, one before downloading latest SP3 and using nlite to integrate and the other after.

NOTE: that after SP# intergrated it downgraded my Media Center version to 2.8, from 3.0. Does this mean it downgraded my MCE2005 to MCE2004 ?

LAST_SESSION_before_sp3.INI

LAST_SESSION_after_sp3.INI

Hi John, I've attached 2 lastsession.ini's, one before downloading latest SP3 and using nlite to integrate and the other after.

NOTE: that after SP# intergrated it downgraded my Media Center version to 2.8, from 3.0. Does this mean it downgraded my MCE2005 to MCE2004 ?

Look at this; others have had the same problem, hope it helps

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=116371

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt

the txtsetup.sif file in my nlite modified "c:\mce2005\i386" is still showing the original labels such as %cd2name% -> \cmpnents (for 2nd CD)

but obvisouly it can't find the 2nd disc now to install them.

I remembered something similar would happen to me when I created an MCE unattended... correct me, anybody, if I'm wrong - open 'txtsetup.sif' and locate all the entries pertaining to '%cd2name%' and rename to %cd1name%. The actual MC component should install now, give it a try, nothing to lose.

Hi phatphunky,

Here's my gear:

Asus M2NPV-VM (with onboard nvidia nforce 430 and geforce 6150 graphics ....)

ok maybe this is hardware dependent lately, or I owe you-"phatphunky" a sincere apology, but here is what I did so far:

1st: cd1 + cd2 into c:\mce2005

2nd: edit c:\mce2005\i386\txtsetup.sif

3rd: replace every cd2name with cdname; replace every cd2tagfile with cdtagfile everyehere. (mmmm seems to work now)

4th: run "nlite" and point it to c:\mce2005 ... select "Unattended" and "create bootable .iso" from the nlite menu

NOTE: (no SP3 at this point)

5th: boom baby so far so good.

everything seems to work GREAT! so far, I now have all my component options including the Media Center (Green Button)...

ok.

now for SP3 Integration...we'll see ?

-anyway, lets keep this sukker goin' in case some people actually still use MCE2005 ;)

LAST_SESSION.INI

Look at this; others have had the same problem, hope it helps

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=116371

Thanks John,

It helped confirm that slipstreaming SP3 (either manually, or using nlite), basically breaks MCE2005; -which is too bad.

However, along with the steps mentioned in http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/, a "batch" file to install SP3 after,... DOES work fine.

-so basically the info and helpful hints mentioned on this n' other past threads/forums as well confirms this for now. -unless I missed somethin' ?

ahh well, either M$ fixes it eventually, or they'll just want you to buy Windows7 eventually ? - and we all know 'dat answer.

;)

-thx all for the advice n' replies.