19 hours to slipstream, and counting

OldGrantonian

I mistakenly added this post to the vLite tutorial. I apologize. :blushing:

I'm currently trying to slipstream Vista Home Premium 32-bit. It's taken 19 hours so far :)

I can see from Task Manager that PkgMgr (Windows Package Manager) is using 50% of CPU, so something is happening.

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400. Dual core. 1.83 GHz. 2GB RAM. 6 GB spare on C:. 10 GB spare on D:

Can anyone tell me whether I should continue?

Has anyone else taken as long as 19 hours?

When I slipstreamed SP1 into my Vista DVD, it took me about um... two hours on Core2Duo and 2GB of RAM. I think.

It definitely takes lots of time, but 19 hours seems suspicious!

did you turn off your anti virus and all other running programs like that? that is big cause of those kind of slow downs

I finally killed the process after 32 hours. The CPU was still showing 50% for PkgMgr.

The 32 hours would have included two overnight sessions of about 8 hours each, for a total of 16 hours. During these 16 overnight hours, my laptop was disconnected from the internet, anti-virus "paused", and no other applications running. Screen saver is the standard Vista logo.

I am a little suspicious of mine too. Tried twice already for up to two hours. The progress bar seems to remain at the half-way point. PkgMgr showing multiple instances and using cpu. Am running it again at the moment and it is at the half way mark again after one hour.

I am running a phenom 940BE @ 3.6Ghz.

May be better for me to install the service pack after?

if you integrate a lot of hot fixes and such it does take awhile to complete. i have seen instances in my case where it takes 3 hours or so to complete, that was integrating hot fixes and IE8 in my case.

Thanks for all the comments so far :)

what do u try to slipstream into vista?

Only SP1. Nothing else :)

The progress bar seems to remain at the half-way point.

From google, I've seen posts on different forums where the progress bar hangs on 50-60%.

My progress bar has never gone past 30%. Is that a clue?

Here's what happens. After I press "Run" in the Access Contro, the progress bar moves from 0% to 30% in four equal steps. There is a gap of about 5-10 seconds between each step. So from 0% to 30% takes about 30 seconds.

Am running it again at the moment and it is at the half way mark again after one hour.

So crunchie's progress continues for one hour. But my progress stops after about 30 seconds. Is that a clue?

May be better for me to install the service pack after?

Are you saying that I can do a DVD without SP1? If that's true, maybe I could experiment with only 2 or 3 hot fixes, and no SP?

If yes, I would be grateful if someone could post a link showing me how to add only hot fixes :)

if you integrate a lot of hot fixes and such it does take awhile to complete.

See my earlier response to boooggy. I'm only trying SP1. But my plan :lol: was to do the SP1 first, then add hot fixes.

It could come down to the pc you are using.

As I stated above, I am running a quad core running at 3600Mhz with 4Gb of RAM. One core runs at almost 100% whilst the others are just ticking over. cpu total usage averaged 25%, whilst memory usage peaked at about 85%. That is quite a lot of RAM to use.

Can you still see where the progress bar is active? It just may be the slow(er) pc you are using, but I am only a newbie to this program, so I cannot say for sure.

I just completed another compilation in about 2 and a half hours.

cpu total usage averaged 25%, whilst memory usage peaked at about 85%.

My CPU hovers around 50%.

In the Processes tab, "Private" memory for PkgMgr is fixed at 900KB. In the Performance tab, physical memory is fixed absolutely flat at 707MB. (I have 2GB total.)

I find it suspicious that memory usage should be fixed. I would expect some variation.

I've made some "negative" progress :)

I can integrate some hotfixes. But I still can't integrate SP1 :(

I integrated the smallest hotfix (KB947821, 28KB). So that was the first time I saw the "Finished" message. This job took 2 minutes.

However, only the "Finish" and "Exit" buttons were available. Does mean that I could not have burnt the ISO?

I then integrated the largest hotfix (KB955020, 57,618KB). This job took 11 minutes. In this case, when the "Finished" message was displayed, only the "Exit" button was available.

BTW1: I know that hotfixes without SP1 is probably no good to anyone, but I wanted to see what was possible and what was not possible.

BTW2: I'm currently trying VLite 1.1.6. The following post by steven4554 suggested it might be less buggy:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=133061

you are not supposed to integrate hotfixes and the service pack. it is recommended that you just do the service pack and finish that then reopen from there and do the hotfixes