Good enough computing

redder

Just a couple of days a friend asked what computer should she get to run a POS. She has a small tobaco store, so all she sells is Cigs and snuff.

She was looking at a POS solution from Quickbooks, that comes with a 40mm printer, IR bar code scanner, cash drawer, and the software itself.

Minimum requirements for which are :

QuickBooks Point of Sale System Requirements

Minimum System Requirements

* At least a 1.6GHz processor

* At least 256MB of RAM (512 MB if running Windows Vista) for a single user

* At least 512MB of RAM (1 GB if running Windows Vista) for multiple, concurrent users.

* 1 GB of disk space (additional space required for data files)

Recommended System Requirements

* At least a 2.0 GHz processor

* At least 512 MB of RAM (1 GB if running Windows Vista) for a single user

* At least 1GB of RAM for multiple, concurrent users.

* 1 GB of disk space (additional space required for data files)

Disk Space Requirements for Addtional Software1

* 70 MB for Internet Explorer 6.0 (provided on POS CD)2

* 50 MB for Microsoft .NET 2.0 Framework (provided on POS CD)3

* 4 MB for Adobe Flash Player 9 (provided on POS CD)

Additional Hardware and Software

* Operating Systems Supported:

o Microsoft Windows XP (SP2 or later strongly recommended), 32-bit, all editions

o Windows Server 2003

o Windows Vista, all editions4 5

o Windows Server 2008

* 4x CD-ROM drive

* Optimized for 1024 x 768 screen resolution

* QuickBooks-approved retail hardware (optional)4

Well, when I saw her she already had gotten a computer, she came back with a computer with a 22" wide screen, along with 6GB or RAM, 640GB of HDD, BD-ROM, a AMD 64 bit processor of which I don't remember the speed, it was a Dell and it cost her close to a $1000 at Sam's Club

And I dropped my jaw! I told her that she could use it, but it was not needed for a POS, I happened to have my Mini9 there and told her just as an example, I could use it to run her entire POS solution, and from what I seen from the software, you wouldn't really require that much processing power anyway if it was just for use in one single store.

She kind of looked at me and said "Well you just don't know what you're talking about, the salesman told me I needed at least 3GB"

Anyway, I think I am being converted into the chain of though of "good enough computing" I have not been buying or updating my computer as much as I used to 6 years ago, I believe just as many other people do, that we reached a level on which for the least amount of money we spent we are able to do the same because our needs are not that high anymore, I don't think that that many people will need a computer with that type of specs, what are your opinions, is the typical Walmart $300 computer enough for you? What are your needs and why?

in your friends situation i can see them using an overpowered machine for that -prolly because its likely used for other things like internet browsing, streaming music etc. my POS systems are complete overkill in the cpu memory dept but moderate in others.

14" POS monitor -non touch screen angles up to be used in standing position (i want to switch them to a touch screen but theyre happy with a mouse)

3ghz core2 duo

2Gb of ram

stripped down and somewhat locked down windows XP (not bulletproof but protected)

POS software (COMCASH) launches on start up and connects to a SQL server in a nearby building

as far as most of the staff knows, the machines cant even get on the internet.

Anyway, I think I am being converted into the chain of though of "good enough computing"

I would generally agree with this statement, and maybe more so your whole point about jumping off the "I

must get new parts now" bandwagon. I don't think many folks need 3+Ghz QuadCore, 16GB of ram, a terabyte

of storage and so on...

The only problem is usually the price of new over the price of slightly legacy parts. I had an old 486 that I wanted

to use again and the extra 512MB of ram I installed cost more than 2GB of faster ram for my primary pc.

Let's not forget about availability of parts as well. Unlike say the hobby car industry where you can get a starter or

a pair of custom heads for your 67 Chevy bigblock, the computing industry is figuring out how to force us to buy a

complete system when all you may need is a new video card but you can't find a card that will work in your old

motherboard.

With the advent of the internet you may find old parts that will work but what about the quality, is the old 486 mobo

that Joe's Old Parts is selling one that was stable (worked with your cpu) or caused frequent reboots - who knows.

I upgrade usually when I don't need to, but I wait for a major price fall before I do and I never bother with the latest

and greatest while it is the latest and greatest - I wait until it is good - LOL. :huh:

Mike

in your friends situation i can see them using an overpowered machine for that -prolly because its likely used for other things like internet browsing, streaming music etc. my POS systems are complete overkill in the cpu memory dept but moderate in others.

14" POS monitor -non touch screen angles up to be used in standing position (i want to switch them to a touch screen but theyre happy with a mouse)

3ghz core2 duo

2Gb of ram

stripped down and somewhat locked down windows XP (not bulletproof but protected)

POS software (COMCASH) launches on start up and connects to a SQL server in a nearby building

as far as most of the staff knows, the machines cant even get on the internet.

Ok, I'll admit something to you all, the last NEW machine I built was a few years ago, more like six or seven, so I can say that I have completely missed out on the brightest and latest on new hardware on almost any angle, I have been keeping up with software to a point, becoming more interested in Linux, but that's besides the point.

I can see your system for a POS making sense, even though it seems a bit hyped out also lol, but see, did I mention that this Dell she bought has a quad core AMD 64 processor in it? This part of the US is extremely low in people that know what they're doing when they're in front of a computer but I am still shocked about this purchase, and what amazed me more is that spending almost a $1000 dollars on this computer and it didn't come with a DVI output or seperate (not onboard) VGA card.

Yeah you can get some pretty badly configured OEM PCs if you buy through retail. (systems with 4Gb+ and a 32 bit OS, systems with a badass cpu and a video card that can barely keep aero running without tanking, systems with crappy cpu/video and a BluRay drive, etc)

I configured the ones we bought for use for several years so I specced a little higher than i had to because the software that they were using when i started and they are pretty loyal to (COMCASH) has had a few versions come out that had memory leaks or where certain operations would max out the cpu on their old machines (1.4g singlecore with 768 ram) the current versions appear to have resolved all those issues though.

I also bought the minitower form factor instead of the desktop/SFF so i could easily add serial or USB expansion cards for the POS printers, scanners, drawers we currently have or may upgrade to in the future. we had more than enough room under the counter so that wasnt an issue.

I upgrade only if I need to, because of a part that happened to have died, or if I bought a game/program that I can't run. I am currently in that boat right now, I am a CPU upgrade away from being able to play ANY new game they sell nowadays. I tried going to the store and my computer can't run anything that is out now. That line crept up real slow and suddenly I'm way behind it seems.

• 3 weeks later...

My computer is good enough for me because all I do on it is browse the internet, make graphics and write on it. I'm going to have to upgrade it's OS (Since MS Office 2003, needs 2k) I never spend much money on my computer, I just pick up parts off the trash and swap out whatever is wearing out. I'm buying a new PC soon (which sort of makes me naseauted because Windows Vista is disgusting) The only reason I'm buying new is because I want a laptop to able to use at school, so I dont have to use their computers (That and space constraints) I hope to downgrade the laptop to Windows XP. Vista is the Windows ME of the NT world. Epic failure.

The PC I'm using does everything I need. Yes, I could use some more disk space and a little more speed would be nice, but I can't truly say that I need it. That said, I wouldn't mind something more powerful for recreational purposes. A friend has a game that I enjoy but it's far too demanding to ever run on my hardware. Being able to play it at home would be fun and would let the 2 of us work as a team on the game, but I can't say that I need to be able to play such games at home. It's probably the last thing I really need, an excuse to spend more time on the computer doing nothing useful.

Rick

I never liked playing games on my computer. I find PC games dont work so well, even if you have the right hardware. So I just use my PC for basic things, and I play my games on a console system.

Though I have found games I enjoy that I can play on obsolete hardware (such as Diner Dash and Sim City) Though the majority of PC games arent even worth it to buy expensive hardware for, since you can find a lot better games and a lot of them on a console system).

And well, because of that, my old Pentium 3 does just what I want. Though I dont think anything older than this would do the trick for me though. That's mostly why Vista angers me off. It's buggy trash, it's basicly XP with some useless features tacked on to bog it down. It's time they learn how to code better. There is no reason I should have to use a liquid cooled gazlion ghz computer to type a email.

I think MS and the hardware companies are in bed with each other to force people to buy new computers/upgrade their OS to the next viruse, I mean operating system. If Macs wernt so sucky Id use one of those.

Edited by clueless_furball

Following is NOT an advertisement of any kind, just a link to show you what the POS computer could (and should) have been:

http://fit-pc2.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

http://fit-pc2.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gallery

And of course a POS running Vista seems to me like total crazyness. :w00t: (even one running XP, for that matters ;), WEPOS is already overkill!)

POS should use ....POS Operating Systems, not "mainstream desktop OS":

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa479379.aspx

jaclaz

That PC your friend went and bought was way overkill for the program she will be running. That salesman is just out to make cash and probably did not ask her exactly what she wanted to do with the PC. A 640GB HDD and 6GB RAM? WTH!!! And a blue ray drive? Yeah I'm sure it will be used for watching heaps of HD movies :sneaky:

EDIT: jaclaz that tiny box is more like it! I want one! A 1.6Ghz CPU and 1GB RAM should do the job. 8W power consumtion at full CPU load. WOW!

Edited by Zenskas

Following is NOT an advertisement of any kind, just a link to show you what the POS computer could (and should) have been:

http://fit-pc2.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

http://fit-pc2.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gallery

And of course a POS running Vista seems to me like total crazyness. :w00t: (even one running XP, for that matters ;), WEPOS is already overkill!)

POS should use ....POS Operating Systems, not "mainstream desktop OS":

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa479379.aspx

jaclaz

Yeah, for example, most stores still use Windows 98 for their POS system. (The newest system I've saw used for one of those was Windows XP Home) So yeah, over kill indeed.

On another note: I found it sort of funny first reading this thread I thought POS read as you know what.

Yeah, for example, most stores still use Windows 98 for their POS system. (The newest system I've saw used for one of those was Windows XP Home) So yeah, over kill indeed.

On another note: I found it sort of funny first reading this thread I thought POS read as you know what.

Yes I have seen Win 98 on POS PC's still and its all that is needed in a lot of cases. Or Windows 2000. :yes: that what I thought when I first read POS. But I'm pretty quick to realize what its really about :lol:

Edited by Zenskas

• 4 weeks later...