Nvidia Geforce 185.85 drivers

Dougal4263

I've run into a problem.......

Up until now i've had no problem integrating Geforce drivers into my XP and Vista DVD's. But with the 185.85 drivers, Nvidia have changed the .inf file so only the drivers get installed and not the control panel. The control panel has it's own setup file which i cannot figure how to run (NvCplSetupEng.exe). Just running it throws a message saying something like "No supported hardware found" (or something like that).

Has anyone managed to integrate the new drivers and if so, how did you do it?

Cheers to anyone that can help!!

I hardly use the control panel and I found my drivers not getting integrated. So I removed all the entries of control panel and NvCplSetupEng.exe from the inf file and I was able to get the basic drivers installed. But, for the purpose of integration of these in nlited cd for XP, I have to test this method.

Getting control panel installed after integration will require new inf file!

Edited by clavicle

I could integrate the drivers by using the modified inf file and everything went on smoothly!

For the part of nvidia control panel, you can uncompress it to get the msi file contained in it or directly run it through regular programs to install silently using msi or installshield silent switches the regular way!

My inf file is attached:

nv4_disp.zip

Thanks for you help clavicle. I will try your method when i get chance, but at the moment i'm working on Vista64. Do you think your method would work with Vista64? Obviously the inf file would have to be modified too!

I am now able to integrate the drivers and control panel into a Vista64 install. :thumbup

I have only tested this with Vista64.

Here's how I did it.

1: Extract "185.85_desktop_winvista_64bit_english_whql.exe" into a new folder, for example "C:\Nvidia"

2: Click 'Start', 'Run' type 'C:\Nvidia\NvCplSetupEng.exe /a' (without quotes) click 'OK'

3: Click 'Next, enter 'C:\Nvidia' in the network location box then click 'Install' followed by 'Finish'

4: Copy the 5 .chm files from 'C:\Nvidia\windows\help\nvcpl' to 'C:\Nvidia'

5: Copy the 16 files from 'C:\Nvidia\system64' to 'C:\Nvidia'

6: Open 'nv_disp.inf' into notepad and add the following to their relevant section

[DestinationDirs]

nv_controlpanel_copyfiles = 11 ;change from 01

nv_controlpanel_copyfiles_help = 18,nvcpl

[sourceDisksFiles]

nvapps.xml = 1

nvcpl.cpl = 1

nvcpl.dll = 1

nvcplui.exe = 1

nvdisps.dll = 1

nvgames.dll = 1

nvmccss.dll = 1

nvmctray.dll = 1

nvmobls.dll = 1

nvshext.dll = 1

nvsvc64.dll = 1

nvsvs.dll = 1

nvvitvs.dll = 1

nvvsvc.exe = 1

nvwsapps.xml = 1

nvwss.dll = 1

nv3d.chm = 1

nvcpl.chm = 1

nvdsp.chm = 1

nvmob.chm = 1

nvwks.chm = 1

Keep the entries together in the following sections.

[section001]

AddReg = nv_commonBase_addreg__01

AddReg = nv_commonDisplayModes_addreg__01

AddReg = nv_commonRestrictionsAndTiming_addreg

AddReg = nv_controlPanel_addreg

AddReg = nv_global_addreg

AddReg = nv_miscBase_addreg

AddReg = nv_opengl_addreg

CopyFiles = nv_controlpanel_copyfiles

CopyFiles = nv_controlpanel_copyfiles_help

CopyFiles = nv_sysDrivers_copyfiles

CopyFiles = nv_system32_copyfiles

CopyFiles = nv_syswow64_copyfiles

DelReg = nv_clearRegistrySwitches_delreg

FeatureScore = F6

RegisterDLLs = nv_common_registerdll

RegisterDLLs = nv_controlpanel_registerdll

[section002]

[section003]

[section004]

[section005]

[section006]

Create a new section [nv_controlpanel_registerdll]. I put it near the [nv_common_registerdll] section.

[nv_controlpanel_registerdll]

11,,nvcpl.dll,1

11,,nvdisps.dll,1

11,,nvgames.dll,1

11,,nvmccss.dll,1

11,,nvmobls.dll,1

11,,nvshext.dll,1

11,,nvsvc64.dll,1

11,,nvsvs.dll,1

11,,nvvitvs.dll,1

11,,nvwss.dll,1

[nv_controlPanel_addreg]

HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run",NvCplDaemon,%REG_SZ%,"RUNDLL32.EXE %11%\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup"

[nv_controlpanel_copyfiles]

nvapps.xml,,,0x00000010

nvcpl.cpl,,,0x00000010

nvcpl.dll,,,0x00000010

nvcplui.exe,,,0x00000010

nvdisps.dll,,,0x00000010

nvgames.dll,,,0x00000010

nvmccss.dll,,,0x00000010

nvmctray.dll,,,0x00000010

nvmobls.dll,,,0x00000010

nvshext.dll,,,0x00000010

nvsvc64.dll,,,0x00000010

nvsvs.dll,,,0x00000010

nvvitvs.dll,,,0x00000010

nvvsvc.exe,,,0x00000010

nvwsapps.xml,,,0x00000010

nvwss.dll,,,0x00000010

[nv_controlpanel_copyfiles_help]

nv3d.chm,,,0x00000010

nvcpl.chm,,,0x00000010

nvdsp.chm,,,0x00000010

nvmob.chm,,,0x00000010

nvwks.chm,,,0x00000010

7: Remove "NvCplSetupEng.exe = 1" from the [sourceDisksFiles] section

8: Remove "NvCplSetupEng.exe,,,0x00000010" from the [nv_controlpanel_copyfiles] section

9: Exit notepad and save changes

10: Delete the folders 'C:\Nvidia\system64' and 'C:\Nvidia\windows'

11: Delete the following files from 'c:\nvidia'

_setup.dll

data1.cab

data1.hdr

data2.cab

ISSetup.dll

layout.bin

modes.txt

NvCplSetupEng.exe

nvdecodemft.dl_

nvdecodemft32.dl_

nvencodemft32.dl_

NVIDIA Control Panel.msi

nView.cab

PDsetup.exe

PhysX_9.09.0408_SystemSoftware.exe

setup.bmp

setup.exe

setup.ini

setup.inx

setup.isn

setup.iss

You can now integrate into you Vista64 DVD.

Now sit back and watch Nvidia change their setup packages again!!!!

wow, amazing and very interesting thing, maybe i'll try it on my xp sp3 x86 unattended installation, or like you said, I'll just wait for them to change their setup packages again ^^

• 3 weeks later...
wow, amazing and very interesting thing, maybe i'll try it on my xp sp3 x86 unattended installation, or like you said, I'll just wait for them to change their setup packages again ^^

Unfortunately, I don't think nV is much aware of the issue. Their new beta driverpack (186.08) has the exact same problem when integrating for XP x64 Edition.

Not only does it ruin unattended installs (it causes a Found new hardware dialog), it also fails to install properly right after setup/install of the OS has finished, because it seems to look for some .exe it can't find.

I am late in responding. Vista x64 drivers are no doubt working this way as there seem to be lot of cross references to nvidia's control panel.

Finally I took this cmd file utility and compressed the drivers. It all goes well, the integration is proper and so is installation, but you cannot get rid of control panel as I did in x86 version.

The compressed driver size is about 40mb. But you need to replace the original NvCplSetupEng.exe for NvCplSetupEng.ex_, as the reference file may not seek the compressed exe and you will get error.

On the other hand there were a few unsigned driver warnings, which I couldn't point to this driver!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Any news on this? Is the latest bundle from NV working for unattended installs? (too lazy to test it myself now)

How about the new NVIDIA Forceware 190.* WHQL XP 64 pack? Does it work with nLite as is or do we need to change inf files again?

I've tried integrating the last version (190.38) onto my unattended cd from winnt.sif and it still doesn't work, same install same problem.

Maybe some new challenge for nlite ;)

I've tried integrating the last version (190.38) onto my unattended cd from winnt.sif and it still doesn't work, same install same problem.
Same here. I've been trying this for weeks now. I don't see where the problem is. It is rather annoying that nvidia changed this.

I don't think the problem is with nlite. Nor do I expect Dino to change things because of it.

Why is NVidia doing this?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dougal4263, i'll try this with my XP Pro x86 later.

I had the same issue and got my own solution. I can't access my data storage now but afaik i just copied the driver files and the executables onto the CD and told windows to just copy them to the harddisc while setup runs. Then, when windows installs the hardware, the inf file from the hdd is used which then executes the NvCplSetup.exe.

There is still a tiny problem (you need a PS/2 keyboard to solve it), the driver files wants to copy the NvCplSetup.exe from its current location to its current location, thats cause of [DestinationDirs]

nv_controlpanel_copyfiles = 01, i didn't fixed the problem yet but i guess removing this line will help.