Camera Problems

Nerwin

I have a Nikon D60 with a 18-55m VR Nikkor Lens, you know the one that comes with the D60 kit.

Well it does not seem to take photos right, all four corners of the image is all blurry, looks like crap! but in the center, its perfect. I have no idea why it's doing this, I look at other peoples photos they took with the same camera and same lens and its perfect.

Also the lens barrel has a ton of play. Like say when I switch it to manual, it moves and makes my shot blurry. I mean it moves up a lot and if you look at it when the camera is level, you can see the lens barrel (not the zoom ring) and it looks a little tilted down.

Help?

You'll get a little bit of corner softness at wide aperture, even with the best lenses. Post a link and people could see. If the lens front element isn't parallel to the back though, it's broken :(

Yeah, I think its busted. It totally not parallel to the back (where the zoom ring is) from the side, you can tell its tilted down. There is just a lot of play, like it bounces up and down when I walk, its that bad.

Sometimes when I zoom out around half way, its get stuck and I have to really force it to zoom more. after I do that it wont auto focus until I turn off the camera and turn it back on :(

So do you think a new lens should fix this? Maybe it will fix the blurry corners too?

This is the lens that is on it right now that is broken.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-18-55mm-3-5-5-...9498&sr=8-5

Should I just get the same one?

I'm pretty sure corner softness can't be caused by the camera body - if the lens mount had shifted somehow you might get poor focus, but not just in all four corners.

No idea about that lens, I'd go to a shop and try a few. Most will let you try their lenses on your body, so that would at least confirm if the body is ok.

If you don't mind the compromise, and can afford it, I've been very impressed with the 18-200 vr, but it's not to everyone's taste.

Good luck with it.

Thanks, Well I think the Camera Body is alright because it just feels it. Still has that new plastic smell if you know what I mean. There is no defects in the images, just the blurred corners. Which I am sure if something was wrong with the body, there would be other issues with it.

I was going to get the 18-200 VR lens, but its just not in my budget. I can get the 18-55mm VR though, that's not a issue.

My parents are going to get me the 55-200mm VR lens for my graduation.

Just wondering, is there anything that I can do in the mean time to confirm the camera body is in perfect condition?

Anyways, just letting you know when I took off the lens, the sensor and mirrors look perfect. Nothing seems to be loose or abnormal, so I assume its good.

EDIT:

Heres a sample image that I took with the supposedly broken lens, this was also taken on automatic mode and auto-focus.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2exablh.jpg

That was the worse one, other ones seem to be a little better than that, but you get the picture!

Edited by Nerwin

That's not an ideal test shot, to show any defects you want to shoot a flat detailed subject parallel to the sensor plane, with the aperture fully open.

Otherwise some of the soft focus is due to depth of field.

Yeah, I thought its broken, because I have a old Film SLR, and the lenses do not do that.

I'll probably go ahead and get the same exact lens, maybe with a better filter.