(Solved, maybe) Making a bootable CD from emachines OEM CD install

stevesr0

I have just started to use nlite (v.1.4.9.1).

I want to make an XP iso that I can use as a guest OS in a virtual machine.

My CD is an OEM version of XP SP1 with ghosted files. The installed /i386 folder on the computer hard drive is located as a subfolder of the Windows folder.

I have made 5 isos so far adjusting each one on the basis of information I have found on this (and other) sites. I don't yet have a virtual machine set up, so I test each iso by burning a CD and booting from it.

The first four isos boot to the point where they declare they are examining setup and then have displayed the message - put a service pack 1 disk in Drive A:.

I noted that this error has been reported by many people. In my case, it persisted even after adding WIN51, WIN51IC and WIN51IC.SP1 text files to the folder within which I copied my /i386 subfolder to. (I also copied these files to the /i386 subfolder itself.)

After the first two problematic isos, I noted that I didn't have the bootimage file (Microsoft corporation.img or bootimage.img) in either folder, and I extracted a file named bootimage.img from the CD using IsoBuster. This file is ~1.4 megabytes. I placed this file in both the temp folder and subfolder holding the copy of my /i386 folder.

I used both Roxio Creator Classic, nLite itself and an isoburn program (when running linux). In retrospect, I may have made a mistake in some of these isos because I didn't use the same name for the boot image file in both the temp folder and the i386 folder.

For iso #5, I rechecked what the SIZE of the microsoft corporation.img file is supposed to be; since it is to provide the boot sector for the CD, 1.4 megabytes is way to large. In fact, it is supposed to be a 2K file. So apparently, the emachines CD has a boot floppy image that is supposed to work with the ghost.exe file to install the recovery OS, but is not compatible with a pure CD boot.

So, I found a proper copy of Microsoft Corporation.img and used that in making iso #5 with nLite. For iso #4 and #5, I used nLite itself to burn the CD (rather than Roxio [v 6]).

Notably, this was the first iso generating session in which nLite DIDN'T complain that it couldn't find the ident file (previously, I would get this message, hit enter) and the program would proceed.

More notably, iso #5 with the correct boot img file, was UNDETECTED as a boot CD. Instead, my usual boot screen from the hard drive appeared.

The only other thing I haven't tried yet is editing the TXTSETUP.SIF file.

Appreciate comments, suggestions, recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

For the fifth iso, I thought that the problem

Edited by stevesr0

Thanks for responding.

I have looked at the linkes you suggested and I didn't see anything different than what I have been doing.

Since you pointed me to guides, I imagine that I need to post more specific questions to get additional information.

Questions:

(1) When I used the iso I created with a 2kB Microsoft Corporation.img (instead of the eMachines bootimage.img), the CD I burned from the iso was ignored at boot.

(2) The recovery CD has a 1.44 mgB bootimage.img file but no 2 kB microsoft corporation.img. In the CDs that I burned with that file, the CD WAS detected; however, I get a message to put a disk in the A: (floppy) drive. The computer doesn't have a floppy drive. Is there a "hidden" Microsoft Corporation.img file in the bootimage.img file?

(3) I assume that there are a combination of things I need to do to make an iso that will boot. TXTSETUP.SIF is a large file (as you know) and .INF files apparently might also cause a problem. Are there any sections of my TXTSETUP.SIF file and other .INF files that I should look at to enable the CD to be detected and run without a call to put something in my nonexistent A: drive?

Thanks again.

Steve

(1) When I used the iso I created with a 2kB Microsoft Corporation.img (instead of the eMachines bootimage.img), the CD I burned from the iso was ignored at boot.

You used either:

1. the wrong app to create the .iso (ONLY reliable ones are MKISOFS and OSCDIMG)
  2. wrong settings with the program you used (or one of the programs above)

(2) The recovery CD has a 1.44 mgB bootimage.img file but no 2 kB microsoft corporation.img. In the CDs that I burned with that file, the CD WAS detected; however, I get a message to put a disk in the A: (floppy) drive. The computer doesn't have a floppy drive. Is there a "hidden" Microsoft Corporation.img file in the bootimage.img file?

Read this:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?sho...20263&st=11

Your e-machine is evidently an "El-Torito floppy emulation" CD, while ALL original MS CD's are "El-Torito no-Emulation" ones.

(3) I assume that there are a combination of things I need to do to make an iso that will boot. TXTSETUP.SIF is a large file (as you know) and .INF files apparently might also cause a problem. Are there any sections of my TXTSETUP.SIF file and other .INF files that I should look at to enable the CD to be detected and run without a call to put something in my nonexistent A: drive?

TXTSETUP.SIF comes into play at a much later stage of the booting process, it is NOT related to your current problem.

When a problem with TXTSETUP.SIF is found you get a BLUE screen with an error like Setup Error #14 or #18 (Cannot find TXTSETUP.SIF or Line nnn in TXTSETUP.SIF invalid).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Again, thanks.

I noted that the WIN51 files I made which contain the word "Windows" were apparently supposed to have a carriage return (2 line file with the second line blank). I then made a new iso with nLite and used nLite to burn a new iso. When I tried to boot with this iso, it wasn't detected. In nLite, I used the default burn engine and the lowest burn speed.

Then, I booted into linux and used the Burniso2cd program to make another CD of this latest iso.

This CD was detected and booted up in the Windows setup.

Since I didn't want to reinstall XP, I exited after getting to the screen that says install or repair or exit.

My plan is to install this iso as a virtual OS under virtualbox. Then, I will see if it completely installs or breaks later in the install process.

The failure of nLite to produce a working CD with the same iso that isoBurn2cd was successful with could have been due to instability of my XP install, since I had BSODs while trying this. My linux install is rather stable in contrast.

I will followup on this after installing VirtualBox and trying to install the iso as a virtual machine.

Thanks again.

Steve

I'll rephrase ;):

You used either:

1. the wrong app to create the .iso (ONLY reliable ones are MKISOFS and OSCDIMG)
  2. wrong settings with the program you used (or one of the programs above)
  3. while you were creating the .iso or burning it to CD any of the following occurred and you forgot to mention:

1. BSOD's
    2. power shortages
    3. your computer or CD drive caught fire
    4. an earthquake magnitudo 7.4 Richter hit your area
    5. a tornado ripped the roof off your home
    6. a lightning stroke and dug a 7.8 m in diameter crater in your garden

...trivialities, not worth mentioning....
      :lol:
      Happy you managed to have it working. :)
      jaclaz
Edited by jaclaz

Just the first one <g>.

That might have been a problem with the nLite one. I got a BSOD which interrupted the burning. Then, it rebooted and a MS window popped up asking if I wanted to send an error report.

I guess it's possible that's why the second nLite burn didn't work either. Or maybe my CDs are flakey.

I will try another burn with nLite using the last iso and see if it works this time.

Thanks again.

Steve

Nowadays it is rare that CD's are "flakey" in an "absolute" way, the usual problem is with excessive speed of burning (or lack of it).

Rule of thumb:

• for oldish CD burners the SLOWER possible speed is always the best choice
  • for newish DVD burners a speed HALF the MAX speed should be the best

There have been reports (but mostly from people that did video things) of better (or worse) compatibility between the burner and a given brand/type of media.

Usually after a few experiments (and failures) one finds which make/brand type of media and what burning speed work with his own burner/program.

Among the burning programs IMGBURN has been found to be an excellent and reliable software:

http://www.imgburn.com/

:hello:

jaclaz