HTPC with Windows 7

Phoneguy

I have just finished colloecting drivers for the PC I want to test Windows 7 on I plan to use it as an HTPC specs are as follows:

MB: EVGA 680I

CPU: Intle Core 2 6800 Extreme

HD: WD Raptor(main)

2 WD 500 gig (storage)

Mem: 2gd OCZ SLI ready

Graphics: 2x Evga 8800gtx

CD/DVD: 1x Plextor SATA DVD

1x HP lightscribe DVD

Sound: Creative XFI plantinum

Keyboard/Mouse: Bluetooth Logitech Dinovo Media desktop(with Vista drivers, can find logitech drivers for Windows 7)

This set up should work ok I hope, what do you think?

It will be hooked up to a Panasonic PT-AX100U that handle 1080i input outputs it at 780i, it works great with our sony upconvert DVD player(haven't bought blu-ray yet), I am considering buying a blu-ray drive for the PC and replacing the HP with light scribe.

The system Score a 5.8 in Vista. I would think it will be ok for this purpose.

Please give me some feed back on this.

Thanks, in advance. :thumbup

Forgot to mention the HTPC will be only used for playing back video, Music, viewing pictures and playing pc games. No TV we already have a DishNetwork HD DVR.

Edited by Phoneguy

I'd consider Windows 7 64Bit and increasing the RAM to Gig to match the rest of your system. I also suggest you get hold of a Microsoft remote and IR receiver set. It makes controlling your system a lot easier. Especially when watching movies, listening to movies etc. The drivers for it are built-in and this remote is designed for Media Center use. It can also be used to control other devices as well.

I have just finished colloecting drivers for the PC I want to test Windows 7 on I plan to use it as an HTPC specs are as follows:

Forgot to mention the HTPC will be only used for playing back video, Music, viewing pictures and playing pc games. No TV we already have a DishNetwork HD DVR.

No TV?

Doesn't the video card have an HDMI out

And the sound card have optical ins and out

I've also got a Blue-ray DVD/ RW and watch movies on the computer or TV as I've yet to buy a regular Blue-ray player.

This is all connected up to a Marantz 7.1 channel surround master reference Home Theater receiver with Klipsch, Boston acoustics and Velodyne 12' sub woofer.

That's my opinion on a true HTPC, but then again my newphew is a custom Home Theater installer.

No TV stickly videos, PC games and Music. We have two Dishnetwork DVRs in the house already there it no real need for TV on the PC. Thanks for the info though. I have it running now the Panasonic PT-AX100U does very well we are using a 106 inch screen and the video looks very good. What software are you using for the dvd playback? I was under the impression that Windows7 didn't do the HD or Blu Ray discs. I ordered the Blu Ray the bay I posted this it isn't here yet.

Thanks.

Edited by Phoneguy