How to create or modify win7 theme?

quest221

I don't like the theme of Win7, it's ugly :} Extremely the round Start menu button.

The defalut modify of Win7 theme in Win7 can only change the collor etc.

So I want to konw how to change the theme of Win7, such as change the icon of the start menu button.

I like the Office14 button very well. Anybody know how to export the button of Office 14?

post-190220-1242121185_thumb.jpg

Edited by quest221

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like the theme of Win7, it's ugly :} Extremely the round Start menu button.

The defalut modify of Win7 theme in Win7 can only change the collor etc.

So I want to konw how to change the theme of Win7, such as change the icon of the start menu button.

I like the Office14 button very well. Anybody know how to export the button of Office 14?

I can't answer your question (as I know you'd need to switch images using a resource hacker to "shell32.dll" I believe, inside C:\Windows\System32), but I can offer some advice...try changing the taskbar to "Use Small Icons" to change the overall look of the taskbar. I myself don't like the large icons so this looks great for me.

You can also change the Aero Theme's window colors by right-clicking the desktop, going to "Personize", then "Window Color" (with Aero enabled). Changing the desktop background helps too, it's config is in the same location and try enabling "Shuffle" after selecting your favorite wallpapers. :hello:

Edited by neowillendit

Curious about this too, specifically "window color." When I open personalize on my X64 install I have the option to change the window color and it sets everything that color (start bar, window borders and start menu) but on my x86 install I don't have this option. It is appearance settings... Which I get on the x64 install, but as advanced options. I can not get the "window color" option to come up on my x86 install. Anyone know how to get this?

X64 preference window:

window-color.png

And the window color window:

window-color2.png

I'm using x86 RC myself and I have this option on mine, so we can try and figure this out. For your computer I would check that one of the "Aero" Themes are enabled and be sure to ensure transparency is enabled (it will do this automatically if you select the "Windows 7" theme I've referenced in my attached file which is circled in red).

post-204276-1243231072_thumb.jpg

After you ensure those two options are enabled, go back to the main "Personalize" screen and click "Windows Color" which is referenced in your "x64 preference window" that you attached to your previous post as it should be the exact same setup on x86 as x64. I used x64 for a week a didn't like it but I think everything's the same.

I hope I helped... :hello:

Hi All,

Thanks for your reply.

Actually, I don't like the round start menu at all.(The only words I can say is STUPID and UGLY) There is a way to modify theme ourself, but only change the basic element of the theme such as color.

Currently, seems there isn't a third-party theme for win 7, hope somebody will publish a win 7 theme, which absolutely different from the build-in theme. Or a method to modify or create the theme.

• 3 months later...
I don't like the theme of Win7, it's ugly

What do you think about "XP-Retro"-Theme "Luna" ?

2323481_Theme-XP-Retro-Luna-en.png

It is a substitution for the "Window 7 Basic" theme. So you can easily switch between "AERO" and "Luna". Or if the graphic card is not AERO capable it can be used instead of the ugly light gray-blue taskbar.