Roaming profile weird problem

Hello, I'm having a weird problem with roaming profiles. I patched my win2003 servers (including IE8) the last week of April 09. Ever since then, some of my users including myself are seeing a error message of "profile cannot be copied to server" everytime we logoff. Then on logon a similar message of file "c:\doc..\profile\my docs..\favorites\something.url" cannot be copied to "c:\doc..\...\favorites..", "you will be logged on using a Temp profile" shows up, thus loading a temp profile instead of the actual one. On the server side, I checked the path and I tried to delete that particular URL file (logged on as admin), unfortunately it doesn't let me do it. I get an "Access Denied". I can see the properties, however there's only a general tab, and NOT the usual Security and Summary tab. On the user side (WinXP), I notice some Prf*.tmp files under the Favorites. On opening those files in Notepad, I see they're mainly the links, with the BASEURL, ICONFILE etc in it.

For a workaround I created a newuserprofile copied their settings and pointed it under Active Directory, and it works, however for some reason it starts picking another URL and gives the same problem. This is very frustrating. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!!

--S

• 2 weeks later...

Dear friend:

i got same problem in my network,

in general it's security access ,

actually in my network users receive error message,"can't load file \\srv-?\~etc...\filename.xxx? to c:\documents and settings ~ %userprofile%.

so in my network the solution is

go to server sharing profile folder and looking for file that cannot be copy move it to another shared folder or delete it

thanks

I hope this solution help u

Thanks for the reply, however I tried doing that, but then another file shows up and it goes on and on. It mainly seems to affect bookmarks. Since we noticed it happening after I installed IE8 on the server, I uninstalled it and haven't seen the problem since.

Consider it a badge of admin honor.

The day you realize that roaming profiles suck is a special day in the life of an admin.

Now you can look knowingly in to the eyes of other admins as you pass them in the hall. :)

The problem stems from the fact that winlogon.exe consumes wininet, thus creating handles at logon to different parts of a user's temp internet files and any other potential IE files that are remote (roaming profiles). This isn't really "fixable" without a complete rewrite of winlogon, and as such it's not "fixed" until Vista and Windows 7 (winlogon rewrite, no ingestion of wininet, no handles to IE on profile load or unload). You could use the user profile hive cleanup tool to try and work around it, although it's not a guarantee that it will work.