BCDEDIT and multiple hard drives

Darkhand

Hi all,

I have Win7 installed on its own hard drive, and my (old) primary XP system on a separate drive. The XP drive wasn't connected when I installed Win7 to the other drive (I was worried about accidentally picking the wrong drive! :)). Right now I'm shutting down and swapping sata cables to make the other drive the primary boot drive when I want to change OSs :P. I'd like to make Win7 my default OS, with the option to boot to XP on the other drive as a boot option. I've been unable to find any documentation on physical drive delineation in Bcdedit however. The unix equivalent would be hd0, hd1, etc. I'm assuming I need to create an entry for the XP drive and change the 'partition' entry to point to the other drive, but I'm not sure what to point it to.

The default entry for the main Win7 hard drive is:

partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume2

so I'm assuming I'd need to point to something along the lines of

partition=\Device2\HarddiskVolume1

for the XP partition on the other drive (not to mention setting it up as a legacy OS, booting to ntldr, etc), but need to figure out what the other drive would be called to get started.

Any help would be appreciated, let me know if you need more info!

Thanks!

Edited by Darkhand

if you do the mirroring through disk manager, it will make the necessary entries for you.

Is there a way to get disk manager to build the entries after the fact? If I reinstall I know setup will detect the other copy, but I'm not sure how to go about making them without having to do that.

Thanks for the reply!