windows 7 doesn't like my HD

MtK

Hi,

when I had Windows Vista, the Windows Experience Score rated my computer somewhere above 4.0.

after formatting and installing Windows7, the rate is 2.0, having the HD rated as the weakest link - all other components rated above 4.0.

what could this mean?

Or it doesn't like the drivers for your HD controller.

I figured that, but Device Manager doesn't complain about any missing drivers...

(and I can't find any Hardware Event report)

Are you using the latest HD controller drivers?

LG doesn't like its costumers that much, they are not updating the drivers very often.

SATA AHCI Controller: 8.8.0.1009 (2/11/2009 - Intel)

there doesn't seem to be any newer version, or any Windows 7 version...

I see this question a lot.

In Win 7, 7.9 is the highest score. (5.9 in Vista) Comparing Vista to Win 7 scores is comparing apples and oranges and fig newtons.

You can run the WEI test in the command prompt by running the following command: winsat disk

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc742157.aspx

Compare in Vista and 7, if they are close then you didn't lose any performance. Since Win 7 has a higher max score, your score is going to be lower in Win 7.

Edited by redxii

I see this question a lot.

In Win 7, 7.9 is the highest score. (5.9 in Vista) Comparing Vista to Win 7 scores is comparing apples and oranges and fig newtons.

You can run the WEI test in the command prompt by running the following command: winsat disk

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc742157.aspx

Compare in Vista and 7, if they are close then you didn't lose any performance. Since Win 7 has a higher max score, your score is going to be lower in Win 7.

thanks but I'm not planning to install Vista just to compare.

the question is still, why does this happen in one aspect of the rate only...?

anyway:

Windows System Assessment Tool
> Running: Feature Enumeration v1.0.0.0 ''
> Run Time 00:00:00.00
> Running: Storage Assessment v2.0.0.0 '-seq -read -n 0'
> Run Time 00:00:14.73
> Running: Storage Assessment v2.0.0.0 '-ran -read -n 0'
> Run Time 00:00:14.87
> Running: Storage Assessment v2.0.0.0 '-flush -n 0 -seq'
> Run Time 00:00:11.61
> Running: Storage Assessment v2.0.0.0 '-flush -n 0 -ran'
> Run Time 00:00:19.03
> Running: Storage Assessment v2.0.0.0 '-hybrid -ran -read -n 0 -ransize 4096'
NV Cache not present.
> Run Time 00:00:01.03
> Running: Storage Assessment v2.0.0.0 '-hybrid -ran -read -n 0 -ransize 16384'
NV Cache not present.
> Disk Sequential 64.0 Read 30.64 MB/s 4.4
> Disk Random 16.0 Read 1.14 MB/s 3.1
> Average Read Time with Sequential Writes 17.644 ms 2.4
> Latency: 95th Percentile 196.576 ms 1.9
> Latency: Maximum 298.522 ms 7.0
> Average Read Time with Random Writes 30.903 ms 1.9
> Total Run Time 00:01:05.00

does that tell me anything?

Well, comparing it to my hard disk performance, which you can see in my signature (320GB) your is very slow.

Mine Disk Sequential 64.0 Read is 89,67MB/s and Disk Random 16.0 Read is 1.96MB/s. Vista score is 5.9. You said in Vista that you had above 4.0, so I think you should get higher test speed. How old your disk is, maybe it's going bad.

BTW, what command did you type to get full test report of your HDD? I had to type every set of switches separately.

Cheers ;)

Well, comparing it to my hard disk performance, which you can see in my signature (320GB) your is very slow.

Mine Disk Sequential 64.0 Read is 89,67MB/s and Disk Random 16.0 Read is 1.96MB/s. Vista score is 5.9. You said in Vista that you had above 4.0, so I think you should get higher test speed. How old your disk is, maybe it's going bad.

BTW, what command did you type to get full test report of your HDD? I had to type every set of switches separately.

Cheers ;)

My HD is 3 y/o, same as the computer.

the cmd was: winsat disk

Maybe someone can suggest how you can check if it's going bad. I also had problems with slow speed with one disk, which was working perfectly more then a half year on Vista until the problem appeared. It would take 'ages' to do anything. I tried to do a full reinstall of Vista, but installation also went very, very slow and at the end it resulted with some error. I replaced the disk with new and everything works like a charm now, I even managed to recover all data from it, in decent speed, it's like just part of disk went bad. You should do some tests and maybe use Everest to check SMART readings - it will tell you if they are OK.

Cheers ;)

I have experienced the same with Windows 7 BETA. The WEI score went down from 4.x in Vista to 1.0 in Windows 7 BETA. With the new Windows 7 RC the score is "back to normal". Are you using the BETA version?

Edited by OcDevil

anyway:

Windows System Assessment Tool
> Running: Feature Enumeration v1.0.0.0 ''
> Run Time 00:00:00.00
> Running: Storage Assessment v2.0.0.0 '-seq -read -n 0'
> Run Time 00:00:14.73
> Running: Storage Assessment v2.0.0.0 '-ran -read -n 0'
> Run Time 00:00:14.87
> Running: Storage Assessment v2.0.0.0 '-flush -n 0 -seq'
> Run Time 00:00:11.61
> Running: Storage Assessment v2.0.0.0 '-flush -n 0 -ran'
> Run Time 00:00:19.03
> Running: Storage Assessment v2.0.0.0 '-hybrid -ran -read -n 0 -ransize 4096'
NV Cache not present.
> Running: Storage Assessment v2.0.0.0 '-hybrid -ran -read -n 0 -ransize 16384'
NV Cache not present.
> Disk Sequential 64.0 Read 30.64 MB/s 4.4
> Disk Random 16.0 Read 1.14 MB/s 3.1
> Average Read Time with Sequential Writes 17.644 ms 2.4
> Latency: 95th Percentile 196.576 ms 1.9
> Latency: Maximum 298.522 ms 7.0
> Average Read Time with Random Writes 30.903 ms 1.9
> Total Run Time 00:01:05.00

does that tell me anything?

yes it does, read trough this topic here. ;)

What winsat is testing is the actual performance of the drive during load whilst write-back caching is enabled, and what the score is saying is that, in fact, the drive you have performs FAR better with write-back caching disabled. The reasons for this could simply be that the spindle(s) is/are too slow, or a poor hard disk controller on the system board, or the algorithm for write-back in the HDD firmware is not optimal, etc. A lot of times it's that the hard disk controller does a poor job of handling out-of-order flushes, or that it's actually slow to write (but not read) thus negating any benefit a write-back cache would give, etc. Note that this phenomenon is seen more often on laptop drives/chipsets and older desktop IDE/PATA drives rather than newer drives and chipsets, so keep that in mind.

But, this is much more a "real world" test than Vista's was, so the number is more accurate with the write-back test - your drive really is performing that much better under a "real-world" test with the caching disabled.